John Lombardo Jr. Licensing in TA/FC at Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by Randy G., May 14, 2008.

1. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

John Lombardo Jr. Gets Licensed in TA/FC at Las Vegas

UPDATE:

On May 17, 2008, in 100 degree heat John Lombardo Jr. ran as quick as a 5.94 on the hot Las Vegas strip to earn his TA/FC license.

TA/FC Hopeful John Lombardo, Jr., Sets Goal To Complete License Runs at Las Vegas

Formula 2000 Series racer John Lombardo, Jr., driver of the #30 P-1 Racing Napa Auto Parts/Valvoline/Denso Van Diemen Zetec-Ford machine has decided to leave the rigorous road course series and follow in his father Lil' John Lombardo's footsteps by entering in straight line quarter mile drag racing.

I really enjoyed the challenges presented in running a road racing series, especially in a multi-car team. But my roots are in NHRA Championship Drag Racing. Back in the '70's and early '80's I spent a lot of time at the track working with my dad when he was racing his funny cars which included his time behind the wheel of Raymond Beadle's Blue Max. Racing funny cars is something I've always wanted to do and I'm looking forward to the opportunity."

Not wanting any surprises, John attended many NHRA events over the last two years focusing on the Top Alcohol Funny Car class. He also attended Frank Hawley's Drag Racing School to get professional instruction and track experience in Top Alcohol Funny Car.

With his goal to someday compete, good friend and crew chief Bob Devour opened up his pit to give John valuable first hand experience into the complexity and challenges offered in the class. Confirming in his mind that this was something he wanted to do, John pursued opportunities in an effort to hook up with a team.

"Bob Devour and Steve Plueger both recommended Randy Goodwin and his team, saying we would be a good fit," said John. "Randy and I first hooked up at the Winternationals in Pomona this year. And after several meetings we decided this is the direction we wanted to go."

"As you know I've had some very competitive drivers in my cars, drivers who want to win in a bad way," said Randy. "In my first meeting with John, I was impressed with the fact that he takes his racing very seriously and has a very successful career in open wheel road racing. I think a lot of what it takes, I mean the focus, intensity, and attention to detail it takes to do open wheel, is something John can bring to our team as he learns to drive competitively in Top Alcohol Funny Car. I also have a lot of respect for Steve Plueger and Bob Devour. And both of them have a lot of respect for John and his abilities. Funny thing is, Steve was after me for almost a year to call John before we finally hooked up."

John will be making license runs in the team's Monte Carlo TA/FC May 16 and 17 at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. He needs just two full passes to complete the process. The team hopes to start the season at the NHRA Division 7 Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series event in Fallon, Nevada, in June.

"We have a great sponsor on board with NAPA Auto Parts and Jackson's Auto Supply," said John. "With that, I'm really looking forward to building my drag racing career."

#####################################

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

UPDATE:

On May 17, 2008, in 100 degree heat John Lombardo Jr. ran as quick as a 5.94 on the hot Las Vegas strip to earn his TA/FC license.