Its Official 97%

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

NHRA adjusts injected-nitro percentage for 2006
    courtesy NHRA.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    11/16/2005

In an effort to maintain parity in the Top Alcohol Dragster category, the NHRA Competition Committee has announced an adjustment to the maximum nitromethane percentage in nitro-injected dragsters. For 2006, the nitromethane content will be reduced by a percentage point to a maximum of 97 percent.

“After evaluating the performance numbers and the balance of the Alcohol Dragster class between blown alcohol dragsters and A/Fuel Dragsters, the NHRA Competition Committee made this rule amendment for the 2006 racing season,” said Danny Gracia, national technical director and a member of the NHRA Competition Committee.

In 2006, the nitromethane content will be restricted to a maximum of 97 percent for all non-supercharged, single engine, nitromethane combinations.

“As was stated with the adjustment at the start of the 2005 season, the nitro percentage is an effective tool in maintaining parity between the two classes when an imbalance in performance manifests," Gracia added. "Based on the raw data and the performance discrepancy in favor of the A/Fuel combination, the two differing combinations have developed an inequality in performance during the course of the 2005 season. To help keep the parity between the blown and A/Fueler from separating further, the committee decided the best avenue was to make another cut to the nitromethane percentage on the A/Fuelers for 2006.”

The committee unanimously agreed on the rule amendment, citing NHRA’s ongoing effort to keep a healthy balance between the blown alcohol and the injected-nitro teams. NHRA will continue to evaluate and make necessary adjustments in the future. This action is designed to bring the two sides closer together in regards to performance-related issues and strengthen the class as a whole.

The 97 percent does not apply at NHRA national or divisional events that are held at tracks at an altitude 3,000 feet or greater (Tucson, Fallon, Denver, Acton).

2. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Adjusted altitude or advertised at 3000'?

Cool now we all can get back to trying to figure out our combos....

KB

3. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

I would bet it is only the tracks that are abobe 3000' actual altitude. It that is true it just shows what a great grasp NHRA has on the fuel situation.
    There are a lot of Tracks that have adjusted altitudes above 3000' in the heat! Here we go again. The only solution to the problem is to slow the a-fuel cars down. The teams with the big budgets that can do a lot of testing between now and spring will still be on top.

4. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

WOO HOO, Everybody dance

I can see there is going be a close out sale on a/fuel cars, cause we all know 98% almost killed em and now they will be lucky to run a 5.99.

No more sand bagging for me.

5. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

no comment ,

6. bulldog6

bulldog6 A/Fuel #4

bs, I mean no comment.

7. El Duce

El Duce New Member

It's Official 97%

Why does the NHRA continue to slap the A/Fuel teams with these rule changes to keep parody among the nitro-burners and the blown alky cars?

They had to go through the cubic inch reductions, after many teams spent the money to race with the previous rules.......then they lower the percentage of nitro.....now, here we go again, take more fuel away.

Has it ever occured to maybe lower the weight per cubic inch ratio for the blown alcohol cars, giving them more cubic inches at the same weight?? or maybe giving them more blower, or less depending on what results were achieved.

It compares to the "Scotty Cannon rule" in Pro Mod when he outran everyone, then the IHRA would reduce blower on all blown cars......well a few weeks later, after a lot of hard work, Cannon would be right back where he was, kicking more butt.

Nothing would be greater than seeing complete equality between blown alky dragsters and their A/Fuel counterparts, but its time to give the Alcohol guys what they need to step up to an A/Fuel level of performance.

And before anyone whines about cost..........think about what the A/Fuel guys must go through spending a half season or more adjusting to the new rules, only to have them changed again at the close of a season of "testing"

Blown Alcohol......same weight, bigger motors, more blower!!!

A/Fuel.....back to 100%, no fuel checks for percentage

and lets all enjoy some great side-by-side, A/Fuel vs. Blown Alcohol, teen and 5.20 racing!!!

8. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Speeding the alky cars would be great El Duce. Trust me the alky owners would really prefer that. Unfortunatly it has never been NHRA's policy to speed up a class ever and this is going back to the days of Pro Comp. You can talk, beg, plead, with them till you are blue in the face and it will NEVER happen. It is just their policy is all. So when you make the crossover to the dark side. Keep this in mind. If there is a parity issue you WILL get hit eventually. This is nothing new and it will continue year after year. As much as I would love the alky cars to have the gizmo and with more overdrive. I am a realist and I will probably never see a teen for another five years if ever. Also if you seperate the classes one will die on the vine and we all know which one.

9. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

We'll just have to add another percent or two of potion

10. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

Hydrazine????

11. rpmhiperf

rpmhiperf Blown Alcohol

What's that suppose to mean?

12. sc7662

sc7662 Member

whats that supposed to mean

MAYBE CHEAT ? not bill ! but Gloria ?

13. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Prediction !!!!

Gloria,
    I will make a prediction right now that Bill will run 5.20 to 5.24 at Gainsville.
    If you don't someone else will. Wonder what the next round will bring if this comes to past? Hell I guess they just need to drop the percentage to 90 so everyone can really spend some money and start over with the tuneup.

14. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

NITRO PLUS
    Oxygenating Additive
    A Nitromethane based product which contains 33% Nitromethane along with 2 other high power oxygenates combined to increase the oxygen carrying capacity as well as produce a faster flame travel. NITRO PLUS is more powerful than Nitromethane alone, and is less corrosive. NITRO PLUS works in stock or modified engines and mixes in both gasoline and methanol. Carries 53% oxygen, the strongest most powerful oxygenate on the market today
    Lanny

15. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

YOU HAVE TO SHAKE IT FIRST..LOL

M.E.K ???

Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  16. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

nitro $$

I am way more concerned about nhra "s choice of v/p brand nitro & why we cant save some money & buy less expensive , TORCO BRAND blown cars can run different brands of alky? not sure if that is true or not so please correct me if iam wrong. but lets keep cost down where not a pro class
    so keep that rule fuel for the pro boys , last i heard v/p dosent sponser
    any of our events in tad or or do they please correct me again if am wrong here , but most of the time v/p nitro is $300.00 to 350.00 higher than TORCO ,I DO SEE THAT V/P DOES SPONSER SOME CARS IN THE CLASS & I APPLAUD THEM FOR, THAT, but if blown guys had to pay as much for alky as we do for nitro , they could probably understand , espeically now that we are all EQUAL KNOW, LOL

17. Woodchip

Moe money Moe money Moe money

because of VP's complaints NHRA is now tracking your VP invoices. If your total runs don't jibe with the invoice, expect to be warned. They did warn select Pros before the finals. Don't know if they will warn sportsmen. Lack of competition spawns price increases in a free market economy. So you might want to work that into your budget along with the volatile diesel prices for towing.

18. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Hey wait a damn minute here.....Lanny is with Marty (BAD).....how in the hell does he know about nitro additive stuff?....I have been in AFD for 6 years now and I did not know about this shit! Lanny are you saying that Bill is doing something wrong here?

Kevin

19. Woodchip

Love Potion number Nieeaaaeeeahn

You mean This little batch of Potion here?

20. A/Fuel&HisMoney

A/Fuel&HisMoney Jr. Dragster

Hi Kevin,

PowerMist makes lots of potions for Alky guys too. www.PowerMist.com

I have no idea if any of this stuff is legal, or if anyone even uses it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2005