Indy TARA meeting....your input needed!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

TARA will hold an open meeting this year at Indy. All alcohol owners/drivers are invited to attend.

Your input is requested on the following issues to be discussed with NHRA:

1. A/Fuel FC - If you're for or against it, you need to weigh in, NHRA is taking a hard look at it.

2. TAD Parity - Don't need to say much here.

Open discussion on many other issues will be handled as well.

The exact time and date of the meeting has yet to be set, but will be announced very soon.

2. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

Will, The TAFC's allowing injected fuel motors might be a solution to the low counts in the class at both Nationals and Divisional races. It would also add some fan interest.
    Don't think you will see a problem with TAD parity this year. Not enough voices left out there!
    When most or all of the TAD's are gone what will the class be called when there is no alcohol left??
    Good luck whith the new fueler.

3. Will Hanna

Staff Member

just food for thought....

i've heard some tafc drivers say 'yeah if they let a/f fc in, i'll build one'

how is existing drivers building a/f fc's going to help car counts?

save your opinions and come to the meeting!

4. was R4K

was R4K Member

Looks like NHRA has a problem...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Frey starts out his article about how Duane Shields ran 5.235 which wasn't quite as fast as his 5.22 last week at Seattle. Bob then quickly mentions Ashley Force's stunning 275 mph blast, and then closes his Afuel praising by talking about how Darryl Hitchman ran a strong 5.288 to place himself 2nd in the qualified field.

Next, Bob mentions Hillary Will and how she ran 5.386 at over 265 mph. He mentions how this was a really good run for a blown car, but great for someone in just their second national event. Why did he have to mention that this was a good run in a blown car? If the parity really did exist, he wouldn't have to quantify that it was a good run for a blown car. If an Afuel car ran 5.38 would it be considered good run? Not when others in the class are running 5.235 @ 275 mph...

The problem with this, is that one of NHRA's TV announcers has placed these words in print for all the TAD racers to read... He pretty much spelled it out in black and white that the two combinations in the same class have a tenth and a half difference between them when both make good runs.

NHRA when are you going to wake up. You lost another TAD competitor last week when Jason Cannon bought an Afuel car, and Marty Thacker has mentioned in passing that he might switch to TAFC.

What about all the really low dollar racers that cannot afford to switch.

When are you going to stand up and take notice?

Remember, you made a change mid-season for the PSB class, even with all the Harley money lining your pockets...

5. showard

showard New Member

First, I want to thank Will for posting the above message concerning the Indy Top Alcohol Racers Association (TARA) meeting.

Secondly, I want to inform you that the open meeting for owners, drivers, crew, etc. to be held during the U.S Nationals, is in addition to a meeting between TARA and NHRA officials.

In order to respresent you the participants, TARA needs your input prior to the meetings at Indy. It's important for you the TAD and TAFC owners and drivers to verbalize your cocerns as well as suggested solutions in order for TARA to present them to NHRA officials.

In order to present a thorough agenda for the meeting with NHRA, please post the issues you feel need to be discussed on the TARA web site or call and directly discuss your concerns with a TARA officer.

Thank you,
    Shelly Howard

6. mitch myers

mitch myers Guest

Parity does exist and my first round butt kicking at Seattle and Woodburn proves it. The # 8 qualfyer at Woodburds divy kicking the number 1,2,3 qualifyers butts parity comes in all kinds of forms you just have to look thru the BS to find it.

7. RockBottom

RockBottom Jr. Dragster

Parity does exist and my first round butt kicking at Seattle and Woodburn proves it. The # 8 qualfyer at Woodburds divy kicking the number 1,2,3 qualifyers butts parity comes in all kinds of forms you just have to look thru the BS to find it.

Funny # 1 - 2 & 3 did not lose just like you say and an A-fueler won both of those events your point being - what that just because you suck there is Parity?

8. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I'm just a fan and have no financial stake in drag racing except for cost for tix, parking, gas, etc (in other words, whatever rules are or aren't changed isn't going to affect my wallet).

However, with that being said, would there be any objections to giving the blown cars the gizmo?

I can't think of any reason why any a-fuel guys would object.

I realize the expense would go to the blown teams, but the nitro teams had to "retool" after last season. This could close the gap a bit.

Maybe we would see somebody besides David Wells and Marty Thacker get into the upper 20's at a race which wasn't Disneyland conditions (Chicago last year).

What do you blown drivers think?

9. RockBottom

RockBottom Jr. Dragster

Oh my Bad you ment the 2nd Woodburn event. Sorry

10. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I can't believe we are even talking about the possibility of allowing A-fuel funny cars. If the dragsters have parity now, that's great, but look how long it took, and how long will it last? You can't mix the two types of cars, and why would you want to? There are no A-fuel funny cars in existence now, just leave it alone.

11. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

It seems by looking at the results of some races that the parity issue in TAD is becoming a bit less of an issue, but all the same I agree with the above post from my father (Ken Sitko).

Part of the reason for our switch to TAFC was partly due to the situation in TAD at the time. We being a low budget family operation couldn't even dream of going to any divisional events with our blown TAD and squeak into one of those last couple qualifying spots. So along side with a couple other reasons we decided to make the switch to a category where we could actually go to one of these divisionals when we were ready and try to qualify and actually have a good shot at it.

I feel that we would run into the same situation as occurred in TAD if A-Fuel Funnycars were allowed. The cars are two completely different animals so there is no way that NHRA or anyone could make a set of rules that would make both combinations competitive at the same level right away, or soon enough to avoid a bit drop in the blown cars as the same case in the dragster class.

12. Lance Flanakin

Lance Flanakin New Member

Willdo, I'm in if you want. Plan accordingly,There is golf to play,beers with Kosky and Uncle Bob,F.U.C.M. party and racing (if we have time).

13. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Lance, how can you possibly conceive cramming all that into indy weekend???

when's the fucm meeting. i need to join...

14. Lance Flanakin

Lance Flanakin New Member

I'm there 31-7th.F.U.C.M party is Wed. nite I think.

15. larrymiersch

larrymiersch Member

Will,
    The F.U.C.M. meeting is a great time. However, you must be nominated first. Next tell your life story (amongst public scrutiny and snickers here and there) and then get "voted" in by the members. Nothing but fun.

16. drew tarr

drew tarr tafc

As a low buck funny car guy, i would love to have the A Fuel Funny car. Think how many parts a "d" blower and a lenco will buy. besides that way we could try and kill the whole crew instead of them just trying to kill me all the time. Seriously if this was legal I would switch in a second. I think the lower RPM of the a fuel combo would end up being more econimical in the long run once you got a base line tuneup. And on top of that they blow fire and sound really cool. Drew

17. prosportchoppers

prosportchoppers alcohol dragster

BRAD ANDERSON IS SUPPOSED TO BE WORKING ON A NEW MANIFOLD THAT WILL SET THE BLOWER BACK OVER THE CENTER PORTS LIKE THE FUEL CARS ARE RUNNING.
    THAT MANIFOLD WAS WORTH AN EXTRA 1000 HP ON FUEL.
    WITH THAT MANIFOLD ON AN ALCOHOL DRAGSTER WITH A PSI THERE JUST MIGHT BE A REASON TO RUN A BLOWER ON AN ALCOHOL DRAGSTER!!!!!

18. was R4K

was R4K Member

1000 h.p.- simply amazing! :rolleyes:

19. uwarrior

uwarrior Member

I would run injected nitro funny car in 2005.

Paul Weiss
    Ultimate Warrior Funny Car

20. Mr Scary

Mr Scary New Member

With all these Blown racers switching to A-Fuel does TARA have any purpose anymore? What's an all A-Fuel class going to lobby for?? If NHRA allows A-Fuel FC's, say goodbye to any Blown cars period! Pro Mod anyone???