impact boots

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Tommy, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

how come simpson was giving away new -20 boots to everone at pamona. I heard someone had a fire in Ihra and the -20 boots were completely burnt up. does anyone know?

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

last i knew simpson did not have a legal -20 boot

3. East Coast Guy

East Coast Guy New Member

i have -20 simpson boots, at least that's what the tag says

4. GregM784

GregM784 Member

They advertise them as -20 boots, but my simpson boots say -15 on them. Maybe the re-engineered them..

5. johnny ahten

johnny ahten Member

Collins came by and inspected my Impact 20 boots with an Impact person but I'm not sure why. They had a list of racers with Impact boots I guess and had to look at them for something. Maybe a recall or something. But I never saw anybody handing out free boots. I always miss out on the free stuff!

6. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

yes it was impact giving away boots and taking away the old ones. I ment bill Simpson not the old simpson company. Impacs -20 boots seemed really thin to me like they were for super comp or something.

7. Bruce

Bruce New Member

I heard as long as you put on two pairs you will be ok if you end up needing them !!

8. East Coast Guy

i bought my dad a pair of impact's -20 boots this past summer for his birthday, is there something that i should know about them that i haven't heard about?

9. Burner

Burner New Member

They are replacing a bad batch so if you have a pair call them and talk to Kelly. I will get DT's next time Jeff Burnett

10. Russ Parker

Russ Parker Member

I've gotta put in a plug here for Dennis Taylor. I've got his boots and the Ringers gloves from him. All his safety gear is the best. He cares about his customers and provides good service. I see no reason to go to anybody else.

11. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I saw a pair of SFI 20 Impact boots and wondered if they would pass the sniff test. They were so thin I don't think I would wear them. Then I heard about Haddock's deal.

All this makes me wonder. Remember a few years ago when Simpson sold the company to Simpson, and then NHRA required the fire suits to be recertified? Many SFI 20 suits came back as SFI 15's because they were short a layer or two. Kinda makes you wonder if the bottom line is getting in the way of safety. I sure hope not, but I do know DT's boots feel like they are twice the material as Impact's. Daniel bought a new set of Impact's and I looked at them...and I told Daniel he could NOT drive my TA/FC wearing them. He proceeded to buy a pair from Taylor and they were much heavier.

I see posts on here with people asking who makes the lightest weight firesuit. After personally watching Hannes Wernhart on fire at Bakersfield where helicopters were flown in to put it out (true story) and Robert Cannonwisher's fire at the Topeka Divisional race in 2005 where the car was totally engulfed in flames at the finish line I would not make "light weight" my priority.

I'd like to see some of this new generation light weight stuff tested and I'd like to see the results made public so everyone will know where they stand. Somehow I think that was what was behind the free fireboot exchange at Pomona.

12. Burner

Burner New Member

Hey Randy I agree with what you say but the Impact boots have a SFI 20 tag on them. If there's a problim why didnt they do a total recall.
    The Pro teams had all there boots replaced at Pomona it seem as if there feet are rated higher then sportsmen classes. Where is NHRA and SFI now?How did they pass the SFI test? It seem like somebodies butt is being covered.You know how NHRA are all over the racers when we dont have the correct equipment.

If you dont replace the boots now lets see what the NHRA tec guys say next year .I'll bet that you will be handing or good money for replacements

13. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I called Impact today to get the skinny on the boots.

The guy on the phone explained that a shipment left their shop missing a layer of protection. They are sending out UPS labels for free shipping back to impact so they can check them out. My label will be here next week.

They didn't hide a single thing, very helpful, and very informative.

They were sorry that this happened and extremely willing to fix it. A standup company if you ask me.

14. top505

top505 New Member

I think you received a skinny responce. Please, the point is there should be an immediate recall of all of these boots so we don't have a layer of skin missing from being burned off.

Is everyone suppose to cut their boots apart and count the layers of protection?

That's what a standup company who is in the "safety" business should do!

15. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I called Brownburg tod today as i just was able to get mine boots late last year, i want to know because i wore my simpsons as long as i could as they just felt "safer", i asked when i saw about how thin they were.
    today i was told they would call me back on Monday for the info :eek:

16. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Made in "China?" Isn't that the place where they use lead based paint on kids toys, and then the US Government recalls them?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  17. East Coast Guy

i just called impact racing and told them what i read on here, they are sending me an electronic call tag to ship back my dad's boots through ups. they'll inspect them and replace them if needed free of charge, if any of you have these boots i'd suggest giving them a call, you just never know. their # is 317-852-3067

18. top505

top505 New Member

I also am sending my boots back! But I am not going to take the risk that the quality control issue with "china" mass production boots will be any better. I called Taylor Motorsports and ordered a pair of boots that are made by them in Cali., that are thick enough. NO checking the layers out!

19. Burner

Burner New Member

First it was pet food then lead paint and toys now it safty equipment.
    You need to ask where your supplier has there products made.

20. Tommy

Tommy Super Comp

burner you forgot to mention missiles that fall from the sky on ppl.