Impact 2007 suits now decertified

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

From NHRA.com:

NHRA Tech Alert: Temporary Product Decertification
    Thursday, July 09, 2009

NHRA has received notice from SFI, Inc. that a Notice of Temporary Product Decertification was issued today to Impact Racing Products, Inc. regarding certain products (listed below). Therefore, effective immediately, the products listed below will not be accepted for use in NHRA racing at this time. The products are:

Driver suits, pants and jackets manufactured in 2007 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.2A/15 or 3.2A/20

This temporary decertification applies to Impact Racing all driver suits, pants or jackets manufactured in 2007 whether or not the item has been updated, upgraded, rebadged or recertified by Impact Racing.

This temporary decertification applies even if a product that was manufactured in 2007 now has a 2009 SFI label affixed to the product. The date of manufacture of the product is determinative.

SFI has informed NHRA that Impact Racing has challenged SFI’s findings in this matter and is conducting its own review of the findings. SFI also has informed NHRA that SFI’s investigation continues. In addition, SFI has informed NHRA that this decertification may be modified, withdrawn or made permanent.

The earlier recall of the following Impact Racing items remains in effect:

Driver suits, pants and jackets manufactured in 2008 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.2A/15 or 3.2A/20

Driver shoes and boots manufactured in 2008 identified as compliant with SFI Specification 3.3/15 or 3.3/20

2. GregM784

GregM784 Member

& the hits keep coming.

3. Ro Yale

Ro Yale Member

So now what do we do? Sue Impact or will they recall the suits? The last time I dealt with them I had the biggest problem getting an answer from them on availability and ordering. This was 2 years ago. There is something seriously wrong with this company. Someone should have to pay!

4. cpgeneration

cpgeneration New Member

Impact

At 8 am 07-10-09 I called Impact. they said at that time only the 08 suits were under question, they asked what year my cert was, I replied 2007, the suits in question are not 2007 !!!! Was the information they supplied to me. BUT WAIT.. one hour later they called back and stated that sfi issued a de-cert on 2007 suits also.. and they just found out about it . Impact then told me Bill was working on it,, And that Impact will be sending notices out to all the valued IMPACT customers and that they were sorry. It sounds like there will be no suits for all the valued Impact customers for a couple of months.

more like BOHICA (bend over here it comes again) :mad:

5. KBuz

KBuz New Member

That worst part is I have seen what they give you in exchange for a recalled 2008 suit. All I have to say is that I would not be happy at all if that piece showed up at me door after dropping the money I did on one of their 20 suits.

...I want my money back

6. KrisWilhelm

KrisWilhelm New Member

and the dramz continues...

called impact yesterday about my father's 2007 suit. i was told that the recall is due to "improper wear at the belt points" and that his re-certified suit (from a few months ago) was OK. so i checked, it still has all the 2007 tags on it. they told me to send it back and they will put 2009 tags on it.

WILL THAT SAVE MY DAD'S LIFE IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG!?! but i guess he will only burn on his shoulders/waist/crotch. i guess that is ok... WTF?!

his suit is about as thin as my 5 suit. and oh yeah, they just moved facilities and 'can't locate' my belts i just sent back to get recertified.

are we making bets on how long that company lasts? i'd rather buy something made in china that won't let me burn to death, than american leftovers!

7. steve lesueur

steve lesueur New Member

as I sit here at home instead of Seattle, out of work and broke, every once and while I think I made the wrong decision quitting Bill at the end of 2008. Then more of this happens. My reputation is worth more than the money. I apoligize to my friends that I convinced to buy Impact during the four years that I did his road show. I thought I was working with one of the most respected names in motorsports. I am just glad that none of my racing family was injured . I just need somewhere else to be. Being at home sucks.

8. Marc White

Marc White Member

This is a response on Imapct's website about the 2008 firsesuit debacle..I really like the last part

Impact Racing is not recalling its SFI 15 and 20 Products. But as a service to you, our
    customer, we would like to inspect your fire suit and/or boots with an SFI 15 or 20 tag
    only, dated 2008. There is not a question as to the safety, dependability and quality of
    your fire suit or drag boot. 36 suits have already been inspected and they meet SFI
    certification. We believe that we have been in contact with most of our customers but if
    you haven't heard from us please contact our main office at 317-852-3067 so we can
    address your needs and answer any questions you may have.

Thank you for choosing Impact Racing. I stand behind all of my products with 50 years
    of experience and devotion to the safety of the racing industry.
    Bill Simpson
    IMPACT

Guess I'm SOL with my 2007 now illegal SFI 20 suit on the stand behind all of my products part.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  9. top505

top505 New Member

I was at the Seattle race last weekend and tried to go speak with IMPACT and couldn't find them. I was wondering why they were not there to answer questions and help "their valued customers". Seems odd that a title sponsor is not at a National event!

10. KrisWilhelm

KrisWilhelm New Member

Funny, Kelly Bustos was unavailable all last week because she was working the Western Swing... She said they are NOT re-tagging but exchanging for new ones, but oddly failed to mention how much $$.

A friend of mine tried to return his '07 suit and they wanted to give him a $500 credit towards a new one. I'm trying today for my dad's 15, let's see what happens...

Looking into a Sparco suit. They are swamped with all the pro's coming to them!!

11. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Kris,

I know there are quite a few pros going to sparco, I haven't really seen their stuff in person - but I use a Phoenix Custom Apparell suit I bought through Dennis Taylor - awesome suit - no complaints at all, I would highly recommend looking into them as well!