Idle too high! help!

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by CjRedden, Apr 29, 2013.

1. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

Help! so this winter I had my motor freshened. 526 cu in BBC 8-71 carbon fiber hat. over the winter I also added a system one fuel filter, and an msd 2 step from tim mccamis with the speed tech return solenoid. also we added port injectors also aside from the hat nozzles we only had before. also we added the burst panel which was not on there before.

so here goes. we started it earlier for the first time. fired up quickly. only problem was the idle was up around 3200. after that I did a leak down on the barrel valve. it was set at 67%. I bumped that up to 78%. restarted it and it was at about 2700 rpm. I taped off the hat nozzles openings in the top and it dropped to 2600.

I pulled the blower off, rechecked all of the gaskets. I put a small amount of grease on the gaskets also. put it back together and it still idles at 2900. any suggestions or help?

2. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I forgot to add I only had the timing set at 27

3. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

How big(diameter) are the throttle blades and at what gap are they set at ? I see you went from 2600 to 2900 after removing the injector ?

4. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I have them set at .010. the only thing I can think of myself is it has a vacuum leak and its pulling air. any suggestions on maybe silicone on the gaskets?

5. GTPerf

GTPerf Member

What pump are you running? what pressure is your idle check? have you checked the idle check to make sure its not stuck open.

6. PE 316

PE 316 New Member

Did you apply silicone to the Burst Panel cages and plate?

7. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

You could have a vacuum leak above OR below the blower flange . The manifold to head also, a leak around your burst panel maybe ?

8. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

to be honest, the burst panel was installed when it came back from the shop. so I would hope it is sealed. I have not checked that. it is a 110 pump

9. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I have not silicone anything yet. that was gonna be my next step. i was told i shouldn't have to so i didn't. but i will if that's my next option

10. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

also last year i blew about 4 intake gaskets. when it was in the machine shop they were to look at and resurface the intake to head and use a better gasket as that was a problem before.

11. moldenhauerracing

moldenhauerracing New Member

Sounds like your barrle valve is out of position. Check your system with a leak down gauge.DAVE

12. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

leaked down the BV at 78%

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The problem is caused by too much air and not fuel. My guess is that you are leaking air between the injector hat and the blower. I always put down a small bead of silicone to seal down the hat. I use black silicone for appearance sake. Have never seen a hat seal to the blower without using silicone.

14. Fuel Cars

Fuel Cars AA/AM

what Mike said, also, if you have plate for the blower restraint straps, make sure it is sealed on both sides.

15. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I just got done putting silicone on the hat. its actually 4 spots. above and below both gaskets on top and bottom of the blower restraint plate. ill try it tomorrow hoping itll work. first race is suppose to be Saturday.

16. nzbad

nzbad New Member

Maybe a dumb question but those new port nozzles you fitted dont have air bleeds in the nozzle holders do they?

17. eli

eli Banned

set the blades closed, leak it to 85%;
    make sure your only leaking the hat nozzels
    the port nozzels have to be blocked off wile your leaking
    the hat. then set to rpm you want, wile it's running;)

18. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

and make sure that 2 step fuel bypass solenoid is not open all the time making it lean

19. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

I've had the throttle cable end out of adjustment and it slightly opened the blades when hooked up.

20. CjRedden

CjRedden Member

I have it all straightened out. silicone on the gaskets for the injector hat and restraint. re did the leak down to 80% and it started and idled at 2200 rpm