Idea for a-fuelers: Would this work?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wolfgang, Oct 2, 2005.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I loved being at Chicago on Friday and Saturday and seeing Hirata and Reichert's runs.

However, seeing as how there has never been a blown car close to the teens, and how NHRA just changed things last weekend, I have an idea and want feedback on if it may work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't NHRA recently make the t/f teams use a rev limiter device which is supplied by NHRA?

What if a similar thing was done for a-fuel dragsters: ie- a rev limiter would be mandated for a-fuelers and it would be supplied by NHRA.
    The goal would be to keep them at about 5:30 and no quicker (though I love seeing the teens and twentys, it isn't good if the blown cars can't go that fast).

Otherwise, let the blown guys have a more modern blower (and that still wouldn't get them in the teens), and make it 97% (or use the Hanna idea- percentage determined depending on the facility- Chicago ain't Bandimere).

Wolfgang

2. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

sorry, didn't mean to type NHRA changed things this weekend. Must be tired.

3. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

give em back their 100% but do THIS
    maximum wing width 66 inches
    maximum wing cord depth 16 inches
    maximum height as measured from wing trailing edge. 84 inches
    maximum angle of attack 1 degree
    Maximum cord thickness 4 inches
    simgle element only

Its plain to see the A/FD's are makin it on the top end as most wins are drive arounds. Take off the top fuel wings and you will lose the load on the top half causing them to burn less fuel. Bottom half tuneup stays the same.

4. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

woodchip,

a big, triple or dual element wing isn't necessary to go fast in a/fuel.

look at conway's car: big single element wing. james thompson (conway tuned fueler) ran a single element haase' wing, which is the same wing a lot of blown cars run - will, hentges, thacker, etc...just was a little wider than the normal alcohol span. car ran well, ran big mph, but was a little more prone to smoke the tires at half track vs a dual element. wing restrictions isn' the answer. in fact, it might even speed them up.

this makes a very strong case for 97%.

5. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Here we go again! Last time I looked, a blown car was leading the points. This is one race. Lets not over-react as usual.

6. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

Bring it on, what ever the rules maybe or end up these fuel guys have always figured it out,& they arent gonna quit. they will just go back in their shops & find some more power , look @ the history since early 90"s so come on in the waters fine ,

7. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

As long as you don't over-react either when the rules get changed again.

8. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

They won't get changed.

9. ATC Racing

ATC Racing New Member

NHRA is looking into the situation. Giving the blown cars more od is being looked at if SFI will look at raising the limits on dragster motors due to new rev limiting technology since those limits were written. 97% wouldn't be the end of the world either.

ch3no2, you're right, chicago was just one race. so was indy where they had close to tenth. brainerd was just one race, ....you get the trend here?

afuelfreak is right, the a/fuelers will figure out the next rule change. at some point, some of the handcuffs will have to be raised off the blown cars hands and let them run harder.

-will hanna

10. Woodchip

ch3no2, Parity has NOTHING to do with who just happens to lead the points. Dont you see that silver freight train from texas storming down the track? It will be all over by this time next week. What is it ? three teens this year for A/Fuel? And the top five A/Fuel cars running twenties? Some of them in the heat? Let me tell you something. I dont know if it was you or someone else who accused the blown cars of sand bagging. At Reading we witnessed Arthur run a twenty SHUTTING OFF at a thousand feet! So whos sand bagging? And Will you forgot to include Gainesville. IMNSHO hoping an entire class of cars misses their set up for any hope of a round win for another class of cars, is NOT parity. And for those using team force as a barometer of the effect rule changes will have on a particular configuration? well this season tells all doesnt it?

11. bulldog6

bulldog6 A/Fuel #4

Let's just wait and see what NHRA does. There is no sense in arguing over it right now. Because whatever the rule change is(if any), there will still be the same skeptics. Have a great day!

12. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Bulldog. Grow a set and tell them how it really is. I know what you would say about the blown cars if just you and I were talking. You would tell them to switch to A- fuel if they thought it was a better deal. Same as me.
    Besides, there won't be any rule changes next year and I would bet on that.

[ October 03, 2005, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: ch3no2 ]

13. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

Well If NHRA dont make some kind of change before long all the Alcohol car just might say it not worth it anymore and shut down or go to Funny Cars. Then all you Nitro guys can have your 100% back. But man what kind of race will you have at the Divisonal when it does get hot. Then NHRA can cut the payout at National when they only have 14 or so A/F car they can make it a 8 car class. I my self like both cars but with the differnet in et I really dont see that this can be good for the class :rolleyes:

Lanny

14. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Wait a fricken minute....how many AFD cars are running low numbers? I'm not... so if a rule change comes out I get screwed? You know...I lost to Federlin in Sonoma in the second round...I walked over to him and shook his hand and said thanks Steve for racing me...I was NOT boobin cause he had me by .20!

There will alway be front runners and the rest of us well....we will try and catch them!

Kevin

15. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

Well said Kevin!

16. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

Here is somthing that wakes me up @ night screaming is FRANK MANSO , JAY PAYNE , BOB NEWBERRY , RUNNING A-FUEL CARS , LETS PRAY THEY DONT !!

17. Woodchip

Nah that trio would never ever switch to A/Fuel they are comfortable where they are at. Especially Jay who left tad because of the fuel cars.

And Ethan congratulations on that 5.29/262 in testing. I figured you would get that baseball cap turned around in the right direction eventually :) JUST KIDDING! See you in Gainsville and Atlanta next year.

From; one of "the old guys"

18. Z28u up

Z28u up New Member

good run ethan!
    you could put rev limiters on them just like top fuel, but then you have to set them at 8400, just like top fuel. lol

19. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

kevin,

to answer you're question, how many a/fuel cars are running low numbers...lets just look at this year under 98% of the a/fuelers 5.299 or better and blown cars all time to run 5.299 or better.

afd
    hirata 5.16
    reichert 5.18/280
    gunderson 5.21 (same car as hirata)
    torrence 5.24
    olivarez 5.2somethin
    randy meyer 5.24
    gene snow 5.24
    ray hack 5.27
    ashley force 5.26
    art gallant 5.28
    i'm sure i left someone out.

blown:
    duane shields 5.26
    rick santos 5.27
    david wells 5.27
    marty thacker 5.29
    john haley 5.29

why the blown cars haven't advanced? they aren't allowed. it takes a mineshaft and a big budget to run those numbers. several of the 5.20 blown club are working on new technology that has slowed them from the pace they ran with more conventional tune-ups.

no disrespect kevin, but parity has to be gauged by the guys running the top numbers. if had an a/fuel car in chicago, and didn't run a 5.16, it was nobody's fault but your own. you can run teens in great conditions with an a/fueler, twenties in decent conditions, thirties in marginal, and .40's in just plain bad conditions. without a 150 ft cliff just infront of the finish line for the blown cars to fall off of, a 5 teen aint gonna happen.

parity is based off the potential of your combination, and you have to get pretty creative to slice it any other way than a tenth.

20. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Will, my main man you forgot a couple, Myers-5.10 & 5.11/ I have the time slip,
    My Friend Gary Ormsby Jr. 5.13 or so

TA/FC- The "other" White Meat!!

Sign me up- to many rules in that "dragster" catagory.

Hudson