iddle very hot

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by sunday driver, May 16, 2005.

1. sunday driver

sunday driver driver

Hi, when I startd the engine and its on iddle it is very very hot. the pipe turn blue and the flame came out of the pipe. It is the second year this happened. ???? It is a 483 Allan Johnson with a blower 1471
    thanks
    denis

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Its either your idle bypass is blocked or at idle the fuel is finding somewhere else to go before it gets to the barrel valve like maybe a bypass or poppet stuck open or your idle return poppet is hanging open.

The only other thing that can cause that (just happened to me) is that the ignition is way retarded for some reason.

3. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

i agree with mike on the the idle poppets to check. check to make sure none are in backwards and make sure your barrell valve is set properly on the leakdown. if you need a leakdown gauge i sell them and you can see pics at rbssuperchargers.com if you need more help call 530-292-3368 jr

4. Thurston

Thurston New

Check the timming, we turned a brand new set of headers blue when we had the ignition set to slow, make sure your timming marks on the crank are correct. Believe it or not, our motor started at 26 degrees AFTER top dead center, when it should have been BEFORE top dead center, and it didn't take long at idle to get very hot.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Thats exactly what I did. I got on the wrong side of the TDC mark and was 27* ATDC instead of 27* BTDC. I was surprised the motor started. Had orange flame out the zoomies and they got hot fast. It also had a strange exhaust sound. Glad I am not the only one that has done that. I don't feel so bad now.

6. sunday driver

sunday driver driver

Thanks for the suggestion, There something I don't do right to adjust the barrel valve. I got the leakdown gage what pressure should I adjust it to? I had 25 degree timing.
    thank you again
    denis

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Just as a review.....take all the lines off the BV and cap the idle return line. Hook the leak down tester to the input line and adjust the leakdown. I found the percentage to be pretty sensitive. Most systems like 82 to 84% but then ones gauge could be a little off so your 82% maybe 84% or 79% but if you always adjust using your gauge as a reference then you will find that sweet spot. The higher the percentage the richer the idle. If you are too rich you will dilute the oil, never heat the motor up, and will blubber if when you accelerate off idle. Too lean will give you a flat spot at off idle and will make you motor heat up too fast. I turned mine to 84% and after 5 minutes my head temps were only at 110*. At 82% they heated up nicely to 165* in three minutes. First I would read were you are now and record that so you can always go back to that.

One thing I have seen is the actual valve inside the barrel valve to be 180* out. If you look into the fuel input fitting with a flashlight you should see the V slot on the valve to be on the backside of the barrel valve and not in the front. There is a small index line on the splined shaft coming out of the barrel valve and that should be in the 12:30 to 1 o'clock position. If everything is correct and the leakdown is at 82% and you open the throttle the leakdown percent should go right to 100%. If it goes less that 82% then your valve with the V cutout is 180* out.

8. sunday driver

sunday driver driver

Hi Mike,
    I am at 12:00 o.clock my v is realy at the end on the top and when I opened the leakdown goes to zero. and when I checked it I had 20 pounds.
    and then I set it up at 82 pounds. Do you think he could work this way?
    thanks
    denis

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

So you are really set at 18 on your gauge? That should be 82% leakdown and should be good starting point. See how that works. If it is still a little lean then try 83%. It doesn't take much change to make a big difference.