Hunter Joins Synoil Racing TAFC Team for 2014

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Dec 21, 2013.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Hunter Joins Synoil Racing TAFC Team for 2014

SHERIDAN, Wyo. (December 21) – Experienced Top Alcohol driver Greg Hunter announced today he will be taking over driving duties of the Geoff Goodwin-owned Synoil Racing Top Alcohol Funny Car. Hunter will fill the seat previously occupied by three-time NHRA Heritage Series Funny Car champion Jason Rupert, who will compete in IHRA's Prostalgia Funny Car class in 2014.

“I'm very excited to join the Synoil Racing team and get back in a supercharged, methanol-burning Funny Car. Jason did a great job driving the car for the past few seasons, so I have some big shoes to fill. I'm looking forward to the challenge,” said Hunter, who drove Kenny Gilmour's ExactAir Top Alcohol Dragster for the past two seasons.

Greg's new relationship with Synoil Racing came at a perfect time, as both parties were looking for new options for the 2014 season.

“We damaged a lot of parts during the last few races. Kenny and his team decided to take some time away to rebuild their program, so I was left looking at other driving opportunities. I received a call from Geoff Goodwin asking me about driving the Synoil Energy Services car in 2014. Jason had a few major conflicting race dates with his IHRA schedule, so they needed someone else to drive the car. It all came together at the right time,” Greg said.

It will be a return to Hunter's roots, as the Wyoming driver previously campaigned his own Top Alcohol Funny Car before piloting Gilmour's blown alcohol dragster.

“I'm sure it will take some time for me to readjust to the driving style that it requires to drive an alcohol Funny Car. You need to yank on the wheel a little more than the dragster allows. We plan on testing before the Winternationals to give me the chance to get a few runs in before we start the season,” Hunter claimed.

Greg Hunter drove Kenny Gilmour's Top Alcohol Dragster for the 2012 and 2013 seasons, with primary support from ExactAir Compliance Systems. He debuted with a first round win at the spring Vegas national event. Hunter's best finish came at the Denver regional event earlier this year, where he reached the final round, losing to eventual national champion Jim Whiteley. His career-best performance was a 5.373 at 268 MPH.

“With Jason Rupert's departure to run his own car, we are very fortunate to have a great driver of Greg's caliber join our team. We wish Jason continued success in his endeavor and welcome Greg and his family to Synoil Racing,” said Geoff Goodwin, owner of the Synoil Racing Top Alcohol Funny Car team.

Greg Hunter and the Synoil Energy Services Top Alcohol Funny Car team will run a full schedule of west coast NHRA LODRS national and regional events in 2014. To keep up with the team during the season, like Synoil Racing on Facebook (www.facebook.com/synoilracing).