how to do a leakdown on a barrelvalve?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by george promod, Jun 2, 2003.

1. george promod

george promod New Member

I would like to know how to do aleakdown on my barrel valve.Its on a buzzard injector.i also would like to know what hat nozzles to use onthis motor? its 512 chrys. indy heads,10.5 compression,1471,buzzard hat,with 30% overdrive,blower has a delta opening bottem.also what kind of port nozzles,what to set high speed at,and what the ports pressure should be at?

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

i could tell you how to set the valve, etc., but here's the best thing for you to do: put your whole fuel system in a box, injector hat, pump nozzles and all and send it to:

Conway Automotive
    900 W. Goodhope Rd.
    Seminole, OK 74868
    (405) 382-0205

I'm not trying to say you don't know what your doing, but sending your fuel system to tom conway will be the best money you've spent on your car. eventhough most of his stuff nowadays is psi, his car hauled ass back in the day with a roots on it, and he kicked some ass for a few years with a wedge motor. he's pretty reasonable on price, and he can give you a fuel system that makes alot of hp, and tell you where to set it where it doesn't tear up parts.

Thats my advice.. :cool:

3. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

there is nothing much more to be said than what will has said best money you wil ever spend mike K.

4. kosky racing

kosky racing Comp Eliminator

there is nothing much more to be said than what will has said best money you wil ever spend mike K.

5. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

having been in the supercharger business for 23 yrs it is in your best interest to get help from somebody that does fuel systems, tom conway IS very good and a gentleman also, if you dont go with him there are others out there like Randy Anderson, Ralph Gorr, Don Gerardot, good luck!

6. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Definitely send it out. You have to know flow numbers on the pump at a few different spots in the rpm range to get a start on tuning. Everything comes off of these numbers. And the money spent on taking it to the track and trying to do it that way, will be spent better on sending it out. I send my stuff to Gene Adams. He does a great job, and he is close- but the other guys are great too.
    There is no breakage on a flow bench, and they can give you a conservative set-up. Well worth the time and money!!!

7. NORDAHL

NORDAHL New Member

Depends on how serious you are whether you spend your money on flow testing or not. I can only suggest a few ideas that will be safe for you, firstly you will need a tuning program like JETSIZE - very easy to operate! next important is pump flow rate test data at back pressures such as 100 and 150 psi(hope you have 15 gpm or more to play with) and educated guess of your boost at 8000 rpm ( you can expect 30 psi or close to it ) for the program. A safe baseline is 8 x .050/.055 through aerated holders in the hat(richer to rear), 18 psi idle check with 76% barrel and .008 butterfly gap. Port nozzles from .050 to .060 richest to front with check can at 28 psi(always check port delivery rpm and change check psi to suit launch rpm). once you enter this data and expected weather data for your track the program will suggest a main jet size. you will then need to find a pump loop jet size at 40 psi that will give you approx. 10 gpm to the engine with fuel pressure around 160 at pump or 130 post barrel valve. dont worry about a hogh speed until you have good 60 ft times and even plug readings on the safe side. start high speed with a .060 at 60 psi and take one step at a time until the car really pulls in 3 rd gear and plugs look great. this is all i can suggest with the your info, there are alot of variables and you really need to read you engine parts to know if its happy with your tune or not. you must have a pump saver and set it to 150 psi, a good idea is to releive that fuel into hat nozzles to look after you blower. A tuning program is essential these days!

8. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

from everything i've seen the romac tuning program is a good tool, but it is for use after you have flow numbers on your pump. for more info email bob@romac.com.au