how to check if crank trigger pickup is good?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by toplesuda, Jul 20, 2011.

1. toplesuda

toplesuda Member

i have a crank trigger that came with a motor i bought
    installed a msd 7al-2 wired up a new starter saver checked for fire from cap...no spark
    the starter saver used white wire and for crank trigger you use purple/green
    msd says there not used at same time
    i checked the pickup (magnetic) with a ohm meter to see if sliding metal back forth would show differnt reading
    ohm meter show conection (closed loop) no matter if have metal on pickup or not
    is it bad or im not testing right?
    can i use a starter saver with crank trigger?if so and is wired in how can i test to get spark to the dist?
    now i dont have any but may be cause of pickup???
    do i remove the factory wires that went to the coil and only use the 2 wires from the 7al? thanks in advance toplescudadude@yahoo.com

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

use a magnet to test pickup with

3. pete9857

pete9857 Member

buy an msd ignition tester. no guess work involved. will save you lots of time and wear on your starter!!!!

4. Wildcatracing

Wildcatracing Member

No spark

you cant test the crank trigger by using an ohm meter but you can test the 7al2 by shorting the points wire to ground and you should get a spark (I think its the white wire from memory). If you get a spark then its looking like your crank trigger, if you do get a spark then its likely to be the crank trigger (check the clearance between the pickup and the wheel, it should be approx .060). Its that simple. Cheers Graham

5. wagspe208

wagspe208 Member

The trigger itself simply generates an ac voltage. AC! Get your volt ohm meter, crank, see if voltage is present at connector. Verify SAME voltage at box.
    Wags