How much belt life?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by M Tigges, May 2, 2005.

1. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

We have run 14 13.9 and currently are using 8mm, and get no more than 3TO 4 runs with our Roots.

2. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

MARK THE QUESTION IS A LITTLE VAGUE ARE YOU ASKING HOW MUCH LIFE SHOULD YOU BE GETTING OUT OF YOUR BLOWER BELTS. JR

3. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

JR,I guess i was wondering if there WAS anything we were missing or is it all anyone gets with there roots?

4. aj481x

aj481x Member

Mark

For my own information: How do you tell when it is worn out? You don't run it until it breaks?

Thanks

5. Jeff Wilson

Jeff Wilson New Member

Mark:

How old are you pulleys? I was told a couple of years ago that if your pulleys are wore it will affect the life our you belts. We put new top ones on every year and change the bottom every 2 years. Since we have done it we get double the life of what we were. We change them every 7th pass and haven't broke one since. Before, we were lucky to get 3 passes. If you have any belt questions try calling Nick White of Industrial Rubber Technologies 317-247-0075. He also has the best prices on belts.

Jeff

6. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Scott if we go to the 5th pass it breaks everytime, at rockingham we broke one in the semis with 4.In QUAL we broke one again on the 4th, this has been common place for about 2years. Or ever since we spun the motor high.

Were with ya there JEFF.

7. T.Howell

T.Howell Member

Mark, turn it at 28%. I'll bet you could get 10 runs then. [​IMG]

8. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

GEEZZ TOMMY!! where at 27%now!!

9. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

mark, are you putting fresh white strips in at the track ,then braking the belts,or just putting 4 runs and then braking them? i was told the biggest thing that brakes them is detonation. by the way, when i ran a roots i spun it at 20%, never hurt a belt. :rolleyes: :D

10. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Roots dont run unless you PREIGNITE the BITCH... .LOL

Bruce we leave it loose now, hate to strip it anymore,todays kobelco rotor design seals far better. it looses a little but takes a nice consistent set.

[ May 04, 2005, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: M Tigges ]

11. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

Mark, I run my roots with 30 over with 13.9 pulleys and have no belt problems.
    Just wondering how you adjust the belt? I bring my engine up to temp then readjust the belt so the idler pulley turns with a littile load on it. We also electra-clean the pulleys to remove any shit after each meeting. Also how tight is your belt after a pass?

Hope this helps,
    Alan

12. clint thompson

must be a roots thing? we run a psi on a fontana 526 and spin it 10,200 belts last 12 runs plus. (haven't broken one in a long time) we just change em when they get to 12

13. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

MARK ALL THESE POINTS THAT PEOPLE HAVE MADE ARE GOOD AND A FEW MORE THINGS TO CHECK IS THAT EVERYTHING ON THE MOTOR IS FLAT AND SQUARE. CHECK ALL YOUR IDLER BRACKET PARTS FOR FLATNESS AND CHECK ALL YOUR SPACERS TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE THE SAME THICKNESS. ALSO ARE YOU RUNNING A SET BACK SNOUT SET UP IF SO THE PROPER PRELOAD ON THE SNOUT HELPS OUT GREATLY. ALSO IF YOU LIKE YOU COULD GO TO A 84 WIDE BELT THAT WOULD ADD ABOUT 20 PERCENT MORE STRENGTH. THERE IS ALSO THE NEW GATES PS BELTS THAT HAVE THE 11MM CORD INSDE THEM. THEY ARE A LITTLE MORE MONEY BUT MOST SCREW BLOWER GUYS SEEM TO GET A FEW MORE PASSES ON THEM. ALSO ARE YOU RUNNING GT PULLEYS OR HTD PULLEYS? ANOTHER THING TO DO ALSO ARE YOU RUNNING THE BELT THE SAME WAY EACH TIME YOU PUT IT BACK ON. ONCE THE MOTOR IS WARM YOU SHOULD HAVE ABOUT 3/8 INCH DEFLECTION ON THE OIL PUMP SIDE OF THE BELT WHICH IS NOT MUCH AS THEY SAY BANJO STRING TIGHT. GATES ACTUALLY MAKES A BELT TENDSIONING METER BUT UT US CLOSE TO 700 BUCKS AND YOU ACTUALLY PLUCK THE BELT LIKE A GUITAR STRING AND THE METER TELLS YOU IF YOUR BELT IS TENSIONED PROPERLY.IF YOU NEED SOME HELP EMAIL OR CALL AND IF YOU WANT TO TRY THE PS OR 84 WIDE BELTS GIVE ME A CALL 530-292-3040 THANKS JR