High RPM Hemi Rods

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Chris Bennett, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Member

With all due respect for a sponsor of this board, what rods are you guys using in high rpm hemi applications?

2. bmoore

bmoore Member

Grp

Using GRP with no regrets, Brian is great to work with.
    Bill Moore, Cowie TAD3

3. youngtuner

youngtuner Member

GRP shift over 10k and even hit the litimer a time or two every season. Still the only rods for us, and there customer service is second to none.
    Jonathan Pickett
    Pickett Racing T/AD

4. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Grp

We have been using them for 5 years with our Roots and Screw with 0 problems.

Very happy!

Mark

5. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

Grp

Nothing but GRP for me.

Marty Thacker
    TA/D 7

6. Chris Demke

Chris Demke Super Comp

looks like it is unanimous!!!

Just like everyone before me said, GRP. We us 'em as they have no equal in the industry.

Chris Demke
    TAD #2

7. Richard Putz

Richard Putz Top Alcohol Dragster

I like MGP rods as they have A1 bolts in them, same brand of bolt that BAE uses to upgraded there blocks. I have never threw out a MGP rod since I switched except when my oil pump shaft broke in Chicago on the burnout and I made a pass. It ran a 5.85 in 1/4 with no oil and let go just before the finish line. I threw out plenty of rods when running brand X ( sounds like I am out numbered let the bashing begin ) HA HA

8. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I did not want to be odd man out, But I also like the MGP that Michael makes
    You can not beat the full circle parting, plus best bolts come std.
    I am not sayng anything bad about GRP, just like the parting and bolts better with MGP

9. Creech

Creech Member

MGP'S and GRP'S

haven't used MGP's in blown alky yet but I like MGP'S better.

10. doug_ta

doug_ta Member

same but different

John, I think you will find the "FULL CIRCLE PARTING " is the same on GRP and MGP, just as I THINK that the G in both manufacturers initals are related like Gianano (spelling )for instance , brothers maybe , past business partners maybe, same design maybe, could be wrong but I think there is a pattern here. Anyway GRP all the way for me, just real good parts always

11. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Never used MGP or heard anything bad about them, but I've had 5 sets of GRP's for various apps, never broken one yet, last set I got in 9 days. I'm a nobody and didn't even ask for a rush job, their customer service is second to none.

12. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Member

Thanks for the replies. Have a set of GRPs on the way with the upgraded bolts.

13. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

I am recalling this from memory which as we get older gets worse.
    Michael might have been the original owner of GRP (GIANNONE ROD COMPANY INC. ) after a certain time he started MGP.
    He as far as i know holds the patents on the "arc" and full circle parting.
    I beleive V Gaines owns, now owns GRP,
    which i think is under the same umbrella (Western Distribution Co.) with Winberg and other co's but cant remember who.
    The last the i compared the GRP to the MGP, about 6 years ago,
    grp had an arc parting
    MGP has a full circle which looks like a target, where the bolts goes thru the bullseye,
    if Grp has this now i was not aware as its been 6 years since i have run any thing but
    MGP's.
    I am sure GRP makes a great rod
    It was designed by Michael
    I choose to run MGP's just my personal choice.
    If anything i have wrote is wrong please post, as like i said before this is all from memory from many years ago.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  14. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

Rich Putzs sent me a MGP to look at and these rods are by far the nicest looking rod that I have ever seen, Im on my last set of the brooks b2 rods and then im going to go with the mgp rods... I will be call you Rich:eek:..dave

15. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

I have used Brooks, GRP, Venolia. They all worked well up untill 10,700 RPM's under load 26 degree timing and egt's 1100-1150 temps. At 10'700 Rpm's 1 or more rods will exit the block no matter what the brand. If I had my shift light at 9800rpm, by the time the shift happened it would hit 10'700rpm and toss some rods. 9200rpm chip, max rpm would be 10'200 and never throw a rod.

16. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Broke more Brooks than I care to remember! MGP.....ZERO problems, they are a work of art. Never run GRP either but wouldn't be scared to try them, but when you find something that WORKS for ya, not much reason to change. Next.....

17. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

So for the folks that run GRP and MGP, what RPM do you turn, what stroke do you run and how many runs do you go before cycling them out? For the folks that ran B2's, I ask the same question for comparison. Thanks.

Tom

18. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Mike Reichers of R&R Connecting Rods makes a very nice piece as well. We've been running their rods for over 10 yrs. with very good results. I have a set of new GRP's to try; Brian, as stated is very good to deal with. I had a new spare crank we put in this year and didn't want to send it off and get rebalanced so we stuck with a few sets of R&R's. I've been told on the GRP's if you torue by stretch during qualifying and are nice to them, you can get 25 runs in a TAD setup. Brian told me to send them in after 15 runs or so and they'd look at them no charge, then either say run them 5 more..8 more...etc. etc.. As for the R&R, the rod is 55G lighter on the big end vs. the GRP, I change them out at 15 runs. We are shifting around 10,300 RPM.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

19. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

Big end

The big end bearing finish or our latest GRP rods is Outstanding!

Mark

20. jody stroud

jody stroud ZOMBIE Top Dragster

How many runs will a set of GRP rods last shifting at 9500 rpms?