Help with heads

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by bandit496, Aug 26, 2011.

1. bandit496

bandit496 Member

Considering some better heads and would like advice from y'all's experience. I would like to be able to stay with my iron blocks and rotating assemblies (Bowtie and Merlin--Callies and Ohio Crank billet, Howards rods and Arias pistons and Venolia rods and pistons). Currently I have Brodix BB-2X heads on both with mild porting and matching. What will be a better switch? Should I dare Big Chiefs without a cross bolted block? Stay with Brodix? Profilers? Running 14-71 HH Littlefield and an SSI. Mini rod tractor pulling and would just like to be a little closer to the hemis. JW

2. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Heads

If you go to a bigchief you will have to change pistons because the valve angle is different. Its all going to boil down to how much money you want to spend. I had Curtis at RFD build me a set of Dart Solid heads that flow enough to give a big chief a run. Plus Brodix has their head hunters now but non of these come cheap. Figure out your budget and then you will be able to make a better choice. If you really want an awesome head go with an RFD billet conventional they flow around 510cfm but they are also $10,000 a set.

Just sayin

Corey

3. overkill69

overkill69 Member

Bbc

The cheapest way to pickup a few hundred hp is to buy a used KB/Olds Big Chief. They are dirt cheap.You need the intake manifold and lots of other items to convert.
    Your iron blocks are tough but the mains will rattle and you'll need bigger headstuds if you really lean on it.
    The big chiefs valvetrain is a hassle but they do make good power.
    Hemi's are getting so cheap it's almost not worth updating a chevy if it's within the rules.
    The chevy parts are getting hard to come by used and cast stuff just falls apart eventually.
    We run a nice big chief with a screw. It runs so good we can't justify the switch until it's a doorstop.

4. badbird

badbird New Member

i know someone who has the RFD billet conventional heads
    trust me the trouble the guy has had with them they were the worst buy ever, nothing was machined right the engine ended up with different length pushrods on each side as they were machined so badly nothing fitted they totaly fucked up his engine build
    this is not heresay this is documented proof they were for a 540 twin turbo engine
    they cost thousands and then had many many of man hours in them trying to sort them out and they still ended up a compromise....i know this guy personaly stay away from those heads

5. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Heads

Wow, thats interesting, Curtis did my heads for me and I have had really good work done. I have never seen or heard of anybody running these heads, seems he may have to rethink things abit. But,I wouldn't pay $10,000 for a set of heads even if they fit perfect anyway, but you should expect perfection for that price.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011