Help on a Plueger Billet Dry Sump.

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by CannoyRacing, Feb 21, 2010.

1. CannoyRacing

CannoyRacing New Member

Does anyone have a diagram or could explain which side is suction (scavenger side) and also does the oil filter come inbetween pump and tank or between tank and motor?

Thanks in advance for the information.

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

check your PMs

3. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I'm sure there's more than one way to do it, but we do ours this way.
    See photo below:

We have had ours plumbed like this for the last 5 or 6 seasons, never had any issues this way. Filtering the oil on the way back to the tank keeps the tank clean incase of a motor failure - you've got enough to worry about if you're swapping motors, so why would you want to worry about making sure there's no chunks in the tank?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  4. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Hey Tony,

The way I described on the phone yesterday was from the diagram I got from RBS(indirectly from Plueger) but after seeing the way Nathan has routed the return line through the filter before the tank makes a lot more sense. Looks like its re-plumbing time....thanks Nathan :)

5. tc1216

tc1216 Member

Two things about the way Nathan has his plumbed: [1] Filtering the returned oil before it gets to the tank is a good thing. [2] If you put a lot of metal into the oil pan, you only gall the scavenge section of the pump. Thats not nearly as bad as galling up the pressure side of the pump. Tom.

6. CannoyRacing

CannoyRacing New Member

Thanks for the answers, hope I can return the favor someday!

7. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Has anyone ever filtered or screened the scavenge line from the oil pan itself?
    I run mine as the diagram also

8. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I never really thought about it before, but I suppose you could run one of those inline system 1 deals on the scavenge line to protect the pump.

We've been running the same pump since we started the funny car deal 6 years ago or so, and believe me - we've scattered a few motors in that time - but never to an oil related problem. Anyways, we haven't noticed very much scarring or damage in the pump as a result, I think the "screen" on our pickup in the pan wouldn't allow anything very big through it. I believe it's got 1/8" holes in it.

9. Nitro Madness

Nitro Madness Super Comp

This is identical to the drawing that Richard at System One sent me when we were putting together a dry sump system...must be the proven method for plumbing....

10. blown375

blown375 New Member

Shawn I use to work on Circle track super modifieds and we always ran "scavenge screens" between the pan and the scavenge stages of the pump they have a very coarse screen that keeps the big chunks out of the pump.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=20005

11. Worms

Worms Member

Yep, I used a SAE (Barry Little) -16 conical screen in the fitting on the pan. I also used a system 1 filter on the return back to the tank , and a pressure filter after the pump and before the oil gallery in the block, the reason for this is something goes wrong in the pump, it won't go into the engine. The engine went regularly over 10,000 rpm and never had an oiling issue.

12. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Who sell that nice stainless steel loop line?! After trashing a couple pumps, I'm plumbing mine this way!

13. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

RBS sells the hard line kits for both the main suction lines and the kit for the big filter that mounts directly above the pump, not cheap but nice and compact.

14. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Ive got the 2-that go to the filter but looking for that Loop??

15. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

I think rcd sells all the plueger stuff now, rbs sells a nice bypass manifold for the pump thats a little more compact that the front loop line.

Where's the best place to buy the -16 cone filter?

16. 23T Hemmee

23T Hemmee Member

Yeah, that was the main suction line I was talking about, along with a 45 and a 90 degree short hard line pieces with rubber connector for the pan suction line. Pretty sure RBS still carries them.

17. Worms

Worms Member

S.A.E. a.k.a. Barry Little. RBS probably can get them for you.

18. blown375

blown375 New Member

19. AFC357

AFC357 New Member

Awsome, Thank You, thats why I love this site! That little SS filter is pricey but a LOT cheaper than sending the pumps to RCD for rebuilding! Been there done that!

20. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

thanks for the link, saw where JR had the fuel filters up to -12 didnt see the -16