Help/Advice with conversion

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hirevn, Jul 9, 2016.

1. hirevn

hirevn New Member

Hi, new guy here looking to convert my blown door car in to blown alcohol. Currently the engine is 565 with callies magnum/oilver rods and 8.5 cr, Dart pro 1 CNC heads and RCD gear drive. It has TBS 1471 hh blower with pro systems blower carbs running on c16 race fuel.

The car is now in the process of getting a new moly front chassis and would be a good time to fabricate a fuel cell in the front and convert it to alky but not sure where to start. I am also ready to freshen up the short block so would be a good time to up the compression and make any other changes needed.

Other than changes to my compression ratio and getting rid of the radiator and water pump do all I need to get started with is a fuel pump drive/pump and fuel cell up front to feed fuel to the hat? I figured I could work with good vibes on the right injection hat and parts but really trying to learn as much as I can about this and if its reasonable to do the conversion.

Will my crab cap style distrubtor/crank trigger setup work to fire the engine or do I need to move the ignition to the front also and plug the back with an oil pump drive?

Any other changes needed to the block and heads or is the blocks water ports just blocked off?

Any info will help get me pointed in the right direction. View attachment 1365 IMG_1538.jpg

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

How do you like the prosystem carbs? On an engine with water jackets I like to leave the freeze plugs out and let the engine breathe a little. You can bump your compression up to around 10-1. I would call someone to set you up for a fuel system that will work for what your looking to do. That way you have the correct nozzle size, pump and barrel valve setting from the start. Do some research about mechanical injection. There are some good books out there now and good vibes has some good videos on setting the barrel valve leakage. Good luck.

hirevn likes this.
  3. hirevn

hirevn New Member

Thanks for the info,

The pro system SV1's pictured ended up not working very well for me. Wasn't really the carbs fault but the design where the throttle blades open up so far below the base of the carb and in to the intake caused issues with being able to open them at all when the engine was running. So much vacuum to push the blades through it was like someone put a rock between the pedal and the floor, we worked on it for sometime and finally pro systems just swapped them out for dominators and the problem was solved.

4. Bob Alberty Jr.

I use the crab cap/crank trigger, with a HVCII coil, grid box and controller. NGK 10's at .018. Have been 6.25, at 225 in a 2060lb top dragster in 4500+ feet. 22lbs of manifold pressure on the chip, 42lbs top end.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
    hirevn likes this.
  5. hirevn

hirevn New Member

Thanks, good to know I don't have to step up to a pro mag right away.