Helmet

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by CAlbertTAD149, Jan 21, 2011.

1. CAlbertTAD149

CAlbertTAD149 New Member

I'm about to order a new helmet and I wanted to get some of the drivers input on which is the best make and model to go with. Also other than weight what is the advantage of a carbon fiber helmet. Thanks for your help.

2. underby6

underby6 Active Member

At the IMIS Show I tried on several new Simpson Helmets, I currently use the Speedway Vudo (great helmet but not really ideal for drag racing - no ventilation at nose/mouth area = foggy visor). I like the look of the carbon fiber ones but overall the best one there (IMO) was the CH3No2. You can order it without the hookup for fresh air (I'm in a dragster and don't need it) and I like that it has the filters and headsock in it. I think helmet wise, Simpson is the best there is...again, just my personal thought.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

3. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Brandon, is that simpsons version of Impacts Nitro helmet? I had a Nitro, but it had a skinny view and a long chin with the filters. My car is a lay down chassis, and the chin part hit my chest and I couldn't see my gauges. Just wondering if the simpson is any better that way.

4. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Yes I should have mentioned that, it is similar to the Impact version but the lower front seems to be much improved.

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #34

5. WANNABE

WANNABE New Member

Also know that certain heads fit certain brands better. No two heads are alike. And for safetys sake, fit is every bit, if not more important than the particular maker.
    The only way to know is try them on.

6. CAlbertTAD149

CAlbertTAD149 New Member

Brandon, with that ch3no2 helmet, you still have to wear a head sock underneath correct? Also i heard that those filters in those helmets are good for fumes and clutch dust in a funny car but are basically the same as the ones in a paint mask. I was told they would burn in a fire like the one we had in our crash. I do like the look of that simpson ch3no2. Do you know if they will custom build a helmet to any spec you want?

7. Chi Town Brown

In building the Fresh air system I manufacture I did allot of work with different helmets in getting the air flow averaged out for all brands. Believe it or not all helmets move the same air. But that’s another story. Now back to this one... One thing I did figure out from the testing I did. With an enclosed driver area like a F/C or Door car ANY brand helmet with breathers that pull in outside air should be discarded for consideration. Yes those breathers are absolutely NOT Fire proof or Fire resistant in the least. And think about this for a minute..... What air are you taking in if there was a Fire or some type of Smoke filled cockpit? There’s a mask isolating the head area from your mouth and nose. Fresh Breathing air is being pumped into the head area and you have a helmet that isolates you from breathing that air? AND Your forced to suck in outside polluted air? Just who thought this idea up? Yes they look Kool. But efficient or safe there NOT.
    And again this has nothing to do with any one manufacturer. This type design from Any manufacturer should be avoided with a closed cockpit or Engine in front of driver configuration.

8. CAlbertTAD149

CAlbertTAD149 New Member

Thanks Chi town...we run a TAD so fumes and clutch dust arent really an issue but, we have had a very very bad fire in a crash. The visor completely melted off the helmet. So if these filters can burn then we certainly dont want to use a helmet with them incorporated into the design. I will check out your site. Thanks for your help

9. NITROBANDIT1

NITROBANDIT1 LOST IN SPACE

Super helmet 2000

saw a helmet at simpson with a unlocking front piece that pivoted forward before you put helmet on or took off. made for nitro with sock and stuff. i took a few pics of it, and they said it was off to sfi for testing. a year later, still nothing on it, they said still being tested. looked real nice, but thought by now it would be done with sfi testing. i havent seen any pics of this helmet anywhere before or since, so not sure where this one is going, but looked bitchin.

10. Don Onimus

Don Onimus New Member

No matter what model you buy Get a Simpsom. I know they don't manf. it, but I have used their helmet's for many years. My wife drives our very fast 5.80 T/D and I would not let her wear anything else. And that is still when we need to run 6.0 for NHRA Don Onimus

11. Chi Town Brown

Thats the Simpson ch3no2 http://www.dragzine.com/features/pri-coverage/pri-2010-simpson-ch3no2-helmet-redefines-comfort-and-safety/

12. CAlbertTAD149

CAlbertTAD149 New Member

Although that is a cool design, the filters totally defeat the purpose of the fresh air system. So instead of breathing the fresh air you are breathing filtered outside air. so if those filters burn in a fire you are screwed...correct?

13. Chi Town Brown

It looks like I'm not the only one viewing it that way.

14. Greg Sereda

Greg Sereda New Member

My 2 cents when I decide to purchase a new helmet for my TAD is to purchaser one with the fresh air system. Its only a matter of time that they become mandated. Surprised it has not happened yet...

I also had a flash fire blow forward in to the cock pit at over 200 mph and I was surprised that a flash fire would over come the wind speed to come forward like that.

Greg Sereda
    TAD-699

15. CAlbertTAD149

CAlbertTAD149 New Member

We are definately going with the fresh air system. I've been looking at the simpson 2010 drag bandit. Will the manufacturers do a custom order if i want certain options on the helmet?

16. Eric Lourie

Eric Lourie Member

Mark, they will do custom order helmets. What I have done was, had them send me the shell, got it painted, sent it back and then they put it together. This way there is no tape edges. You are also able to tell them where you want the fresh air to come in, wether it is to come from your forehead down, to help with the fogging of your shield, or in the area of your mouth. You could also have the radio mic. installed at this time.
    That is how I did mine and I am very happy with it. As far as what helmet, I like the Simpson Bandit, give Allen Bridges a call, him and his wife are great people to deal with. He is at all of the Nationals that we would be at for any questions, parts , or service. If you need his contact info, just pm me.
    Hope to see you out there this year,

Eric Lourie

17. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

air

I've had the impact nitro for a few years.I recently sent it back and had the air port taken off the top and moved to the side. Now it comes into the respirator directly and not to the visor. I did have an issue with fogging at Maple Grove but I had grown so accustomed to the air defogging it that I did nothing to prep it..My mistake.

18. Chi Town Brown

Take a small 1/8 plastic tube about 1/2 long and put a small slit in top nose area of the mask. Just enough to insert that tube pointing straight up at the visor. No more fog.

19. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

thanks I'll try it

20. nitrodee

nitrodee New Member

Has anyone contacted Simpson to ask if the fresh air system can be directly fed into the mask of the CH3NO2.If you have positive air displacement wouldn't this solve the problem of breathing in the bad fumes in a fire?Not saying it will stop the fire situation but may be another option.I am looking into one more for fume ingestion and the sealed face shield stopping the visor fogging.I will be riding a nitro fuel bike so enclosed cockpits are not an issue.