Headerflames on Alcohol?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by hotrod200, Jan 6, 2014.

1. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

Just seen a few videos lately with front engine dragsters with blue headerflames, looks pretty cool at night just idling like the nostalgia cackle cars. To do this are they just running them super rich, or adding something to the fuel? I may do it one night just for kicks. Thanks

2. moldenhauerracing

moldenhauerracing New Member

On a blown alcohol motor,the blue flames are a timing issue,looks cool,runs bad.

3. blownfathead

blownfathead New Member

on my blown chevy, last time it was shooting cool blue flames, the dist pin was broken and the timing was retarded.

4. RLS Racing

RLS Racing New Member

Top Lube

Recommended by a trusted fellow. Ian Turburville from the UK. He no longer sells it but still swears by it. It's made in the USA.

http://www.bazellracefuels.com/racingfuels.htm

He says it makes flames. The scent I could do without

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. hotrod200

hotrod200 Member

headerflames

thanks,

i had no intent of running the car with the " Flame " setup, i was just going to have a play a friend said to me i should consider taking my altered to a hotrod show in a month as its a nostaglia car, and i was just wanting to see if anyone had some ideas, i was think to retard the timing to put the flame in the pipe, and fatten the barrel valve up. it'll milk up the oil but ill change it out afterwards then fix the timing and leak on the barrell valve and go back to my original tuneup. cheers

6. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

Fire ! Fire!

Post on the classicfunnycar board. A couple of the alky guys there are able to put a little flame in the pipe for staging etc. They might share their secret.

7. noiraude

noiraude Member

would a little nitro mixed with alky do the trick?:rolleyes:
    been thinking about it,for "show" purposes but never dared...:p
    (as long as it does not hurt the engine,of course!);)

8. mightymouse

mightymouse Member

flame

my blown sbc does it after burnout and backing up, we run 34* on crank trigger and runs 4.0s in the 1/8..I really couldn't tell you why it does it, but as a rule when it does that its going to haul the mail!!! Be nice to have some incite as to why it does that though

9. JMatt

JMatt New Member

Nothing more than retarding the timing. We retard the timing at the launch, and with 32 degrees base timing if I take 10 degrees out while on the transbrake the zoomies will spit fire. I think it also fouls plugs, so I don't take that much timing out while on the transbrake anymore. But with a digital ignition anyone can do it easily.