Head Studs

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Chief, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

Can anyone recommend someplace besides ARP to make some custom Head Studs for a KB block with wedge heads? They want a minimum of 1400.00 to make them. I know they are some of the best and I am willing to pay a reasonable price but I think this is a little out of line compared to the cost os a standard set of studs. Especially if they can take a set of standard studs and cut them down.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

2. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

did you try russ at indy cly head
    i know that Danny townsed ran wedge heads years back
    they may have something that may work

3. Chief

Chief New Member

Indy was the first place I called. They directed me to KB who said they could get them made at ARP. So that put me right back in the same situation. I spent three weeks with ARP trying to make them understand what I wanted, I even filled out their Fastener Calculations sheet. Then they tried to sell me a stud that is 2.2" long to put in the center row, made from a donor stud for 850.00. The KB block measures 5.8" from the deck to the bottom of the threads. I think they are confused. So the hunt continues.

Thanks

Dave

4. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

You might try Tom Conway. He ran wedge heads on his hemi block for a while.
    His number is (405) 382-0205.

Good luck,
    Marty

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

If Tom can't help you then call back to ARP and ask for Ron Williams. Ron has custom put together sets of head studs for me before without any problems. He seems to be the only one at ARP that can understand and is willing to help with anything out of the norm.

6. James2

James2 Member

I know there are some stronger head studs that people are using for the top row. (hemi) I forgot who makes these. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

7. Chief

Chief New Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll give Conway a call first then it's ARP again (I'll try Ron this time).
    As to the stronger top row I would think KB or you are in the same boat as I am and it would be ARP. I do know they have 9/16 studs for the center and bottom row. Not sure what they do about the top row.

Thanks

Dave

8. Joe Blo

Joe Blo New Member

Give A1 in California a call, just as good as ARP. I dont know their number.

9. hemi altered 378

hemi altered 378 Blown Altered

hi, we ran a tfx block with indy wedge heads a few years ago. i talked to a guy at rodeck, he told me that the studs are the same for some kind of wedge motor they sell. i gave him the lengths i needed, he sent me the studs. i think they were about $480. call rodeck, they helped us.