Head stud torque

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Ed Vickroy, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Ed Vickroy

Ed Vickroy New Member

torque

:) i use BAE Fat 5s & my bottom row (exhaust side) are 1/2 in. WE torque them to 105# & the 9/16 row we torque to 140#

2. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

All the other stuff I had was 9/16" this is the first 1/2" What are people torquing the heads to?

526 KB 6 AJ Fuel heads

Thanks
    Bob

3. JM

JM Member

head torque

I have gotten different answers for this question.
    BAE says: 9/16"=145lbs, 1/2"=120-125lbs
    KB says: 9/16"=120lbs, 1/2"=85-95lbs
    My ARP catalog says: 9/16"=122lbs, 1/2"=84lbs using ARP moly. OR using 30wt oil for lube 9/16"=159lbs, 1/2"=108lbs.

I guess this gives us a "range" to work with.

4. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

We torque the tops to 130#, then tighten the inside head nuts, recheck the tops, then torque the bottoms to 110#. We've done it many ways in the past 20 years, found this to be the best so far, haven't had any leak issues.

5. eli

eli Banned

Nathan do you use any kind of lube on the nuts & studs & washers??
    You will need more torque if you do it dry, I always used the black antiseze,
    it comes in silver and copper too, but you need more torque with the copper and even more with the silver. My point is ,the better the lube( meening the more it can witstand heat) the less friction is caused by the turning of the nut and the less likley you are to pull the stud out of the block treads and ruien the block. to prove this to youself, take a stud and nut and with your temp gun, take a reading and then torque the nut and take another reading, then try it with lube, and see the diffrence.;)

6. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

eli,

Yes we always use a brush-in-can stuff called Moly Lube...I think it's made by Jet-Lube. This is also what we use when initially putting pushrods in for the weekend, just fill the cup up with it and it works great!

7. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

130# on a 1/2 inch stud sounds awful high to me. :eek: my motor has step studs in it, 9/16 in the block-1/2 through the head and newberry told me 120# on the top row and 110# on the bottom row. i use 50 oil on the threads and washers. makes everything torque smoothly

8. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Bruce:

With step down studs like you are running your numbers would be true. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. But 9/16" studs all the way through need to be torqued higher to stretch the stud. 145 is a good number. BTW, I like the diesel "peanut butter" on the threads.

Better be a forged block with those numbers, though.

RG

(whoops..had a little error... I just fixed it.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  9. bruce mullins

bruce mullins Top Dragster

where do you get the so called "peanut butter" ?

10. Doug

Doug Member

It is made for Detroit Diesel. You can get it at just about any diesel shop.

11. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

Sorry, forgot to mention our stud sizes...9/16" tops (130#) and 1/2" bottoms (110#).

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Great stuff. If you use it on the main studs it'll actually close up the main clearance about 1/4 to 1/2. Wouldn't have believed it without seeing it for myself. A must for the higher torque.

BTW, I fixed an error I made in my first post. Thanks to Nathan for helping me see it.

RG

Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  13. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

Detriot Diesel International Compound #2 .......$40 a can

14. Henry Charest

Henry Charest New Member

Torquing Compound

Peanut Butter, as it is referred to, is a Detroit Diesel product. It is called International Compound #2, GM part, 1#5198563. This stuff is great for head and main studs, and pushrods. Whatever you do, don't use it on rod bolts, or you'll rue the day!!! Its fairly expensive at about 38.00 per can, but the can ought to last nearly a lifetime, even if you're in your 30's.
    Henry

15. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Thanks for providing the additional info on the "peanut butter." My rig is in hybernation inside the shop (30 minutes away) and didn't have a need to go down there just to grab a can and copy all the stuff to put on here.

Over the years we've used everything else and will never go back.

16. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

WHAT Henry my INFO aint good enough.....LOL, just talked to Craig said he was helping get car ready for Boise.

I have 2 receipts for 2 cans sittin in front of me its $38.85 + Tax EA.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2006
  17. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

moly graphite

i've heard lots of good things about the peanut butter lube, never used it tho...

i've had a lot of good luck with CRC Moly Graphite lube.

with 9/16 studs i've always went to 130, 110 on the 1/2 studs. if you have the new h-11 studs, you can take the 9/16 to 150.

18. Henry Charest

Henry Charest New Member

Peanut Butter Problems

Sean:
    Don't you go starting trouble!!!!! Yeah, Craig has been helping on our hot rod, we loaded it last night and its on the way to Boise as of 0500 hours this AM. Crew is leaving tomorrow afternoon for a straight through drive. UGH!!!
    I'm really looking forward to this race, the New Family seems to be a great group to deal with, racer friendly. Now, there is a pleasant change from what we're used to.
    The weather looks to be cooperative, another pleasant change.
    Henry
    7917 NTF

19. TAF 316

TAF 316 Member

Henry,
    I have no sympathey for you....lol, Dad thought I was nutz for this, I left for SFO 3am Last Friday to be on a 6am flight to DFW so I could be at Texas Raceway for some test passes with the car (unfortunatly we only made 1 atempt) we ran about 8pm short seviced the car loaded up back to Mansfield unload everything 3am again sleep for about 3hr go checkout new speed shop back on plane to come home.

Why is it we do this again....? lol

Sure glad we arent running the Fuel Boat at Marble Falls this weekend, is Larry going to Boise or MF

20. Henry Charest

Henry Charest New Member

L.G. Bless, Worlds' best sponsor

Sean:
    I think Larry is going to Marble Falls to enjoy some of their world famous humidity. When you don't need to drink water because you get enough liquid out of the air you breathe, you know its HUMID!!!
    Weather for Boise is supposed to be mid to high 80's and down into the high 50's and low 60's at night................Perfect. All our runs are supposed to be at night, so even with the altitude we should put up some big numbers. Low 5.80's ought to do it.
    Gotta go to work, millions on welfare are depending on me.
    Henry