hawleys drag racing school

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by NITRO743, Aug 17, 2005.

1. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

Wanted to get some opinions on frank hawleys drag racing school before I spend the money to fly back there. going for top alcohol dragster license. any suggestions or experiences would be helpful. I have car, truck, and trailer. need license and motor. And of course more cash. Thanks Mr. Hanna for ITA.com

[ August 18, 2005, 01:21 AM: Message edited by: NITRO743 ]

2. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Some years ago I went through Hawley's school to get licensed also. Frank is a very very good instructor and he will insist you do everything correctly. I appreciated my time there and his instruction tremendously but as I found out after I got there only about 1 out of twenty people get their license on the first time through the school. Other than that I wholeheartedly recommend Frank's school if for no other reason than to learn how to do things right when you do drive your own car.

3. Joe Percoco

Joe Percoco Member

I went through Hawley's alcohol school in '96 and just got back from there a couple weeks ago taking my kid through his Super Comp school. I can tell you Frank's outlook on HOW to race has changed in the last 9 years. His reaction time clinic/classroom time is worth the price of admission in itself even if you don't step into a car. For what it's worth, I don't believe he should even sign off on licenses there. Everybody thinks "I'm going to Hawley's to get my license." Truth is the license is nothing but a worthless piece of paper. There is only one person who can tell you when you are ready to run side by side against someone, and that is you. You will know when you are comfortable in the car and the car is not ahead of you mentally and physically on a run. At that point it's only three more runs and you have your piece of paper.
    Go to Hawley's. Convince your crew, friends, other racers, employees to go with you. If someone else goes while you are taking a class it is only $200. for them to sit in on the classes. It is the best motivational, soul searching session you will ever sit through. If I could afford it, I would send all my employees there just for the experience.
    Unlike other schools (Petty, for example) Frank is the man. The school without him teaching it would be just another school. With him teaching it is the best kept "secret" in the country.
    As far as equipment, the alky cars have a lot to be desired but is more than adaquate for learning how to get it to the other end of the track. Well worth it.

4. fstr_thn_urs

fstr_thn_urs TAD Driver 544

I am a 20 year old college studnet that had no experience in driving high power dragster except to get my super comp license. Frank Hawley's school IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO !

I had no experience and I was able to get my TAD license in my first attempt ( seven runs) . Yes it might take more than one trip but if you cannot do it correct than you should not be on the track.

It is this fact that makes frank's school hard because most people cannot do it correct and he does not want to see / hear of anyone getting hurt or killed becuase they did not know what they where doing.

5. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

I'd like to thank you guys for your thoughts and advice about my question. I would like to here a few more from some of you recent students from his alcohol dragster class. Thanks for your experiences DAVE-JOE & fstr_thn_urs. anyone else please submitt response. Thanks again Mr. Hanna for ITA.com

6. Jonathan Johnson

Jonathan Johnson New Member

I would highly recommend going to Hawley's school. I attended the AFC course last summer. I am a firm believer in Frank and what he does. He is tough, but he is thorough. He does not want someone not qualified to have a license. Some people may think that is wasting their money, but I am grateful, because that makes me feel safe. He is huge on thinking positive and a great guy to visit with after the course. There is no question if I would recommend someone going, I feel it is great instruction and mental preparation. Good Luck!

7. TOL

TOL Active Member

I have taken two of his courses. Money well spent in my opinion....

8. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

Sat in through two of his courses; Gainesville and Pomona, and was impressed with the psychological side of the sport that Frank teaches about. Jack Beckman instructed the Pomona session and is truly a chip off of the ol' block. Both he and Frank are tremendous motivators.

9. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

I understand Mr. Hawley is a great self help guru. Besides the classroom instructions being worth the cost, what was the driving of a top alcohol dragster part of the class like? tell me about some of what you were taught, and what you learned or Mr. Hawley taught you. was he hard on something you did. did he calmly explain what you did wrong. Or was he as I would expect, all business I.E. This is serious sht.

10. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed New Member

As I mentioned, I attended the classes but from the tech side, my brother did the driving. From what I witnessed though, he gives very intimate hands-on instructions and he won't let you progress through the class itinerary without proficiency in each step. He's not necessarily hard on people, but he won't lie to you, or let you believe an untruth. After each video-taped and race-pak monitored run, you go into a de-briefing room where he asks you how you thought the run went, etc. Then you watch the tape (over and over) and review the computer data. Then he asks you again, if you still feel the same way about how the run went. He really wants you to be able to understand and discuss all the things that happen in 6 seconds. You'll love it.

11. NITRO743

NITRO743 new

Thanks weed, That is exactly what I thought. just want to get some other impressions of seat time. Anybody else please write and let me know what you did. Thanks again everyone.