Hat nozzle body

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Bjs344, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

After my first pass witht the engine in front of me, I'm definitely never making another pass with aerated nozzles. Planning on using non deflector bodies. How much should I expect to change my barrel valve to get the idle the same?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I can understand not using aerated nozzles but you need deflectors on the nozzles in the hat.

3. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

I've seen and experienced that pointing up vs down doesn't seem to make any difference, seems like the non deflector would result in more charge cooling than quenching on the deflector and then again right on the rotor. If nobody has ever done it before, or has with bad results, then Ill stick with deflectors.

4. Aussiebattlr

Aussiebattlr Member

May I ask why it is believed non deflectors are a no go? It shouldnt matter as your fuel pressure is above boost pressure? Hence why certain teams run the Enforcer nozzle jets that spray a conical pattern..

Just curious

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The title or subject of the original post is about hat nozzles and not port nozzles. I believe the orignal problem was the spray that came back from aerated hat nozzles when he let up at the finish line. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. Bjs344

Bjs344 Member

Mike, you are mostly correct. I also got a little on the burnout and more than a little at the hit. I have non-aerated deflectors on the way but still suspect there could be an advantage to non deflectors in the hat.

7. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

I think a lot of people think that a aerated nozzle is to mix or aerate the fuel.It is not. It is to give the engine idle air so the butterflies don't have to be as far open which makes the idle speed harder to set. The deflector tip helps break up the fuel stream to mix with air to cool and seal the blower. I must say though,after it goes through the spinning rotors, it is pretty much mixed no matter what.
    -Dale

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The aeration holes are also used to break siphon when you let up so it doesn’t suck fuel after you let up. I have had aeration nozzles and non aeration nozzles in cars. Don’t see any difference. Some cars with aeration nozzles will blow fuel back on the windshield when you let up.

9. GregM784

GregM784 Member

On my FED i have aeration nozzle bodies in the hat. I get no fuel in shut down. I also run ports.

My Nova had them 10 years ago, and it would rain on the windshield. I didn't run ports.

Each combo is a little different. Not sure if it was the ports causing it or not.