Has the clutch seen it's days?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Randy G., Aug 30, 2003.

1. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I believe it's Mitch Snyder who runs a Lencodrive in his TA/FC and they ran a 5.75. It had a .950-something 60' time and they admit they have a long way to go.

A Lencodrive uses a torque converter and the between round maintenance is a just a lawnblower with a hose attached to cool it off.

Just think. No dirty discs and floaters to resurface, no removing the tranny to change the clutch, no throw out bearings, no ti can recerts, just set the trans brake and release the button when it's time to go.

Pretty impressive. Will it be competitive? How fast would Manzo, Payne or White run with one?

2. andy wilfong

andy wilfong Active Member

me and jason rupert were just talking about this yesterday,talk about less work and less expense,makes you want to think!!!!

3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I think they ran 5.50's with it in a TAD.

4. ROF

ROF Top Dragster

It looks like I'm not the only one who has been paying attention to this guy. Unless he has recently changed his engine combination, I beleive he is running small CI as well. Verrry interesting... :rolleyes:

5. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Glad to see them get in.

Hopefully able to get pass first round and then see if they have an advantage 2nd round when the track usually goes to shit.

6. Mike Laws

Mike Laws New Member

Keep an eye on this car! Mick and his "older brother" (err. Dad), Larry have the car very soft right now. Not only does the car have a torque converter, but also many of the engine components are much different than the norm. (It is kind of like a supercharged WINSTON CUP Hemi! Sorry, can't say any more.) Larry is very innovative and the results are beginning to show. Mick has less than 15 laps in a FC, yet drives like a veteran. Once they begin to get a little aggressive with the tune-up and the aero package, look for some stout numbers from these guys.

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

that 5.75 was very impressive! almost as impressive as payne's .59 in 2500 ft of air.

8. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

I saw those runs, not a Lick of tireshake! I'm curious how Manzo. Payne or Bucky could run with that? Only question would be how does the car react on the tree?

9. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I wonder, can they use some sort of a tranny brake like Roger Lamb used to make? I had one on my altered back in the early '80's that used an air bottle, drum, band and thumb button. Worked very well.

I don't think a clutch car could react as fast as that. You might need to buy a delay box from a SC racer.

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

the two stage throttle linkage they have on that thing is pretty trick too. he stages it on idle, then when both cars are staged, he 'heels' it. he pushes the pedal with his heel which puts it against a stop that brings it to stage rpm. then when he lets off the transbrake, he floors it like normal.

those times are real impressive when you consider he isn't leaving any higher than about 4500 i think.

11. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Will, have you seen what kind of RT's they're pulling?

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

King:

There's your answer about reaction times. 5.72 isn't bad, either.

I would say that Jay and Bucky played it smart by not getting caught up in the great weather conditions. Both ran mid 5.60's at 253-254 rather than trying to run a 5.40. They could have run somewhere in the 5.50's this session just to put the 5.72 of Snyder into perspective. However, the quickest blown BAD ran mid 5.30's with Shields running a loosing 5.40. Plus, Manzo shook hard so the track may not have matched the cool temps. I wonder if Manzo stuck the tires and shook because he had it set up too soft, or if he blew the tires off trying to rotate the Earth?

[ September 06, 2003, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

13. Kingnitro

Kingnitro New Member

Randy, does this mean we might start seeing some Torque converters in TAFC next season?

14. dak

dak Member

Take a Lenco drive and put it in Steve Federlen's Car out of Div 6..you'll have to install a delay box I've seen him when he ran SG and SC he is not a slouch now and with a Trans Brake button he would be unstoppable on the starting line...I have had a chance to work on the Bruno units with blown big blocks and small blocks..these things are great for between round maintence (none)we were using an air cylinder to set starting line RPM and when the brake released the car would go from the preset RPM to WOT...I think these things could be the future

15. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I don't know much (really anything at all) about these Lenco Drives or Bruno Drives...sure there is no in-between round maintenance, but is there anything that can be adjusted on them like a clutch, or is the only thing you can adjust the starting line rpm???

16. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Nathan:

Mark White won but Mitch ran a 5.69.

You can adjust starting line RPM, gear ratios, and have more than one converter with different stahl speeds. Plus, there are things you can do to the engine tune-up off the starting line to control it.

Downside appears to be speed, so far. Too much slippage?

17. Funnycarbob

Funnycarbob Top Dragster

We were out at PRI last year and talked with Lenco, Pat Donaven and Bruno. The Conv. of choice was the Neal Chance take apart type. You could change the ramp speed to stall by changing the stater and by the fluid type. I do also think that the Donaven you could change the conv. fill P.S.I.

18. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I was told Snyder ran 2.49 to the 330'. Pretty stout without a clutch.

[ September 09, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Randy G. ]

19. Aussie Alky

Aussie Alky New Member

Anyone know how to contact Mick Snyder?

Thanks.

20. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Aussie; it's 219-987-2921

I'll fax it also...

Uncle Bob