Guess what happened at Pomona...Parity shmarity!!!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by The Zone, Nov 12, 2004.

1. The Zone

The Zone Member

Holy crap!!!
    5.11 @ 271

Mr Boggs and Mr. Myers are loaded for bear!!!!

Dean

2. Dave Loney

Dave Loney Newby

Congrats to the EPHA team...

Steve Boggs, Mitch, Brett, Bill, Greg, Dick, Neil....you're part of Drag Racing History!!!

3. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Hopefully, the history they're a part of is the rewriting of the rulebook.

[ November 12, 2004, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Pat McGill ]

4. M Tigges

M Tigges TAFC

WOW, very impresive. nothing like nitro.

5. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

Kinda reminds me of the .13 of GO jr a few years back....

Nice pass boys......

Kevin

6. GARY JACOBSON

GARY JACOBSON COMP ELIM

that is a bad ass pass! :cool:

7. Max Power

Max Power New Member

8. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

5.10, 5.11. 5.13, 5.17, 5.17, 5.19, 5.19, 5.19 !

5.26, 5.27,, 5.27, 5.28, 5.28, 5.29, 5.29, 5.29 !

There's been as many teens by A-fuel cars as 20's by BA/D's.

Also, Bogg's 5.10 was not in nearly as good of conditions as Shields' 5.26. That would suggest the difference in performance potential of the two conbos currently exceeds .16 seconds. Since the AF/D combos were actually more consistant than their BA/D brothers this season, and the minority of cars won the majority of races. Top 4 points finishers were AF/D's. David Wells deserved better than 5th.

I love my BA/D, but will someone buy it please.

9. bm79

bm79 New Member

A BAD's definition of "good conditions" is very different than those of an AFD! Start thinking outside of the box and maybe you could go a little quicker...

[ November 15, 2004, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: bm79 ]

10. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

I would've loved to see the look on Darien's face!

11. aj481x

aj481x Member

Somebody forgot to put sand in the bag. :D :D :D

12. The Zone

The Zone Member

Bill, that was possibly your least intelligent statement to date.
    All the talk from the A/Fuel contingent has been based around barometer and sub 2000 feet.
    Guaranteed if you ask your dad (actually Steve) what that run would of been with a barometer of 30.00 and corrected air of 0 feet (Englishtown's air when Shields went 5.26) and they would say, "firstly the track better be good and if we could put all the power to the ground then "Stand Back". everyone knows it would potentially be quicker then his 5.10 this weekend.

The interesting part of the equation is actually, how quick your dad went at Vegas. In a barometer in the 27-28 range and 2900 feet of air, conditions that AREN'T supposed to be great for A/Fuelers, (or at least close to a level playing field) He did run a tenth quicker than ever before at that track and over a tenth quicker than most though possible given the conditions. Do you want to know what his run at Vegas was given the Correction factor that Comp has. It was a 5.128 (pretty close to this weekends performance

Obviously, and that is why I ranked Boggs at the greatest TAD tuner in history (at the start of the year here)

He has fine tuned the A/Fuel tune-up to the point where there is no advantage at possibly any location except for extreme corrected elevation over 6000 corrected.
    All the doom to start the year of more added weight was either a good snow job or an assistance for the A/Fuelers to become more consistent.

Good mine shaft conditions for a BAD are equally good for A/Fuelers, (and they are the only conditions that a BAD can run 5.20's) but that is not to say that the A/Fuelers can't run good in a wider range of conditions now that they have made more runs in which to log data. The optimum conditions that your dad said were absolutley neccessary for them to run 5.20's or better earlier in the year have proven to be not as neccessary in the second half of the session have they?

Dean

[ November 15, 2004, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: The Zone ]

13. bm79

bm79 New Member

i stand by my post... intelligent or not. it is only meant to prove the point that "thinking outside the box" and being innovative can bring great results. as i have said before (and will continue to do so) that if BAD teams would move beyond the old tune-up's and be willing to tune differently (going against the current logic) than they will be able to improve their performance. rather than complain, beg for the gizmo or demand AFD restrictions they should be out re-thinking the way the run their cars.

btw- tell rich thats a great pic he took at Pomona. let him know that dad will probably be wanting a few.

[ November 15, 2004, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: bm79 ]

14. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

Congrats to Mitch, on the Championship. His 5.10 from where I was sitting was shocking, He was going off the track when I was at a 1000' So We quit!!
    just change the rules.

See ya at Pomona in Feb(In a TAFC!!)

Don Hudson-TAFC 756

15. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Thinking outside the box?

Does that include utilizing the tried and true method of paying someone else to figure it out? Buying performance (and a championship) has to be considered an outside of the box way of thinking.

16. 310TAD

310TAD Top Alcohol

BM,
    How fast have you made a blown alcohol car go?
    We had the first blown alcohol pass over 270 MPH. We are one of 5 blown alcohol cars to ever run in the 5.20s. I build our my motors, I tune them, and I drive the car. I have won several races with a blown alcohol car. How about you?

If you think we are running out of the box parts, with a same old tune-up, your not very smart. As a matter of fact, I spent most of this year, floundering around, running worse than I should, because we were trying new things to try and find some magic to going faster. I haven't found it yet. So while you're standing by your statement, why don't you tell me the secret.

I am a long time member of this class, and I can almost laugh when people try to defend their unfair advantage by saying it's just whining. You invest your life in something, and you have a right to have input, and to be treated fairly. You don't like it? That's OK ! Bring out your BA/D and show me I'm wrong.

17. The Zone

The Zone Member

that "thinking outside the box" and being innovative can bring great results. as i have said before (and will continue to do so) that if BAD teams would move beyond the old tune-up's and be willing to tune differently (going against the current logic) than they will be able to improve their performance.

Unless, you can show an example of thinking outside the Box, when for 30+ years in this class, the experts have refining and fine-tuned the BAD combo, your statement does not wash, and you can spout it all you want, but IF YOU ARE SO CONFIDENT, then hire yourself out. There is maybe a 5.24 in the absolute perfect conditions and the perfect run by the perfect driver.
    It is not stab and steer. Burning more fuel is what is takes to go faster, and Methanol does not burn like Nitro.

Dean

18. Don Hudson

Don Hudson Supa fly

go Getem' Deano!!!
    You tell em

If it was easy....

DHM

19. bm79

bm79 New Member

attack me & my opinions all you want... but it still doesn't help your cause.

Marty,

1st... the "thinking outside of the box" statement does not refer to using off the shelf or standard parts. it refers to thinking outside of the basic tune-ups & combinations most teams currently run (this goes for AFD as well).

2nd... trying new things (although sometimes it seems sensless)is what brings about the "magic". I applaud you for your efforts... it took Boggs & the team an entire season of trying sensless things to run the numbers they did at Vegas & Pomona.

3rd... the secret- time & money! We have a full-time employee w/ benifits who orders parts, assembles motors & prepares everything (from picking up the dry cleaning to polishing the wheels on the transporter). boggs is also a salary employee of the company. additionally there is greg, brett & neil who are all compensated well for their efforts. look inside our shop & trailer and you will see it is all well stock as any on the tour. if you want to talk about "parity", the parity issue deals with $$ much more than performance.

4th... we have invested our $$ and lives in this class as well. do i not have the same right as you to give my input & be treated fairly?? what do you think the new 95% rule will do to our tune-up? think of the $$ we have spent to get where we are now and how much more it will take to get back to this point. talk about fair!

finally... keep changing the rules and you may see the team out running a blown car!

Dean,

1st... how about going to MT in 7000 ft of air. is that far enough outside of the box for you?

2nd... you say they have been "refining the BAD tune-up" for 30 yrs... that my point. boggs took the AFD tune-up and threw it out of the window. he is trying things that defy the current logic of running a car... AFD & BAD alike.

3rd... ironic isn't it that hillary will (after just a handful of events in her 1st season) runs low for the blown cars with bucky calling the shots. shows what a little innovation will do for a team.

finally, dad says to go pound sand....

[ November 15, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: bm79 ]

20. T.Smith

T.Smith Top Dragster

After reading this post, I say bring on the 95%.