Green Police in Gainesville...either pay to dump your oil or bring it home..

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Word is all competitors entering the track for the Gainesville D2 race had to listen to a track official read them a 7 page environmental policy statement to get into the track. I don't know if this is the same as the online registration 'environmental class.'

Apparently there is an environmental firm NHRA has put in charge of policing this policy. They also have approved oil drums and skids you can buy to drain your oil.

Talking to one racer at the track:

The drum costs $65. I don't know how much the skid costs. I think you can rent the drum for the weekend.

For another $45, they will pump your oil at the end of the weekend, but they will test it first for solvents. If the oil is contaminated by solvents, the price will go up to around $250. They will provide a 5 gallon can for used solvent.

You can also haul off your own used oil, or put your oil drum in your trailer.

As we've discussed on here already, chlorinated brake cleaner is a big no no. Aeresol cans can only be thrown in the trash if they are completely empty. Oil jugs are no longer allowed to be in the trash cans.

I heard the class racers are being charged $15 to dump individual oil changes at a group dump tank.

So it sounds like everyone will have to make room in the trailer for your own oil drum and trash can for spray cans and oil jugs.

Watch your p's and q's. I'm sure they would love to make an example out of someone.

2. clint thompson

green idea

Here's a "green" idea from a frugal racer. We use RedLine synthetic oil. Buy it by the drum and re-use it for around 8-10 runs. we bought an aluminum kettle like for a turkey fryer and an electric hot plate at target, drain the oil directly from the car into the kettle, put on the burner for a couple hours and the alcohol evaporates out of it. Pour it through a paint filter back into a five gallon jug for use again. The only oil / solvent waste we end up with is from the puke tank / frame rails. The REDLINE oil is better on the parts than any other I have ever used, and even though the cost is higher initially (about 20 bucks a gallon) when you figure that you get 10 runs out of it instead of 2 its actually cheaper than buying your flavor of regular racing oil.

Now that disposing of it at the track has become an issue, this makes more sense than ever.

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Clint
    we do the same thing except we pump it thru a 2 micron filter after it is clear of alky

4. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Now the racers are getting charged to dump their oil into the provided
    dump stations or barrels at a track,....

You have to buy a rule book if you cant or dont download it from the net....

You cant have the name of your sponsor on the side of your car at a National event if it doesnt suit or if it conflicts with the NHRA,....

No joy riding allowed on golf carts,....

You have to print your own credentials out (optional) on your own computer using your own ink that costs about $432.00 a gallon and then still stand inline to get the real credentials,....

Pretty soon you will have to either,..
    1) pay the track guy to prep your lane,...or ,
    2) you will have to prep your own lane yourself before your run if you want to make a good pass.

and then pretty soon you will have to rent the pit space for your truck
    and trailer and car to sit in that you need to service and prepare to race.

All of this is for a association that we all pay yearly to be a part of.

Time for a new sand box.

:mad:

5. clint thompson

improvement

Hey Vic,

At least your spelling is getting better! ;)

6. backmotor

backmotor Owner/Crewchief/Test Pilot

Down here in Central Florida, they PAY US 10 cents per gallon for waste oil, then blend it w/ diesel, and run it in fleet trucks, they do not even charge a pick-up fee, they are happy to get it, cuts their fuel costs by 10% :cool: NHRA probably has the same deal, they just pocket the profit, guess Compton needs a new jet or something :rolleyes:

7. NexKing

NexKing New Member

Stop giving NHRA any ideas. They come up with stuff like that on their own that don't need help.

8. NexKing

NexKing New Member

And worst part is, people pay to haul your used oil off.

9. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

About 10% of this is the EPA and the rest is nhra lining there pockets.
    With the economy down and car counts down, nhra HAS to find new sources of money.
    My percentage figures are probably wrong, but the intent isn't!

10. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

Why can't they tell everyone about stuff like this right when they decide? I seriously doubt the track in Gainesville was able to get all the special "approved" drums, skids, buckets priced out and to the track in last 3-4 days since the new epa thing came out. And all the guys showing up today or tommorrow could've prepared for it. What is the fine going to be for putting oil on the track now? Are they going to inspect everyone's pit spot after the race and check for spilled fluids? What's that fine going to be? I guess we'll find out Monday

11. ITS IN MY BLOOD

(spoken with slight lithsp)...

Ith this tha Drive thru,............no theriouthly,..Ith this the drive thru..

:rolleyes:

12. REEHL EQUIPMENT

REEHL EQUIPMENT Authorized Merchant

That's more like it!

13. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

If you want to know the truth about this?

Follow The Money - right to nhra's pockets

14. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

We get like .80 a gallon here in la for used oil
    i guarantee if a track owner would call in a oil collector they would provide disposal tanks, and pick up all oil free of charge to the racers
    dont they send out a truck to pump rv holding tanks at some events?

15. Pat McGill

Pat McGill Member

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

16. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

Have the racers get together and find an oil recycler willing to pay for the used oil near the track. Tell them to be at the pit gate each evening to collect the oil, and then take the money they pay you and buy the track a "Thank you for peeing on our parade" card.

17. crown royal

crown royal Jr. Dragster

andthe wrong week to quit amphetamine's. i like randy g's idea, it might be enough beer money for will.

18. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

I agree this whole thing is a pain in the patoot. I burn all my used oil in my semi a little at a time. A little means 5 gallons oil in 150 gallons of fuel.

19. tad2155

tad2155 Member

take it back to ur shop and burn in waste oil heater or our home made 1 as we do saves a little money:eek:

20. rick macedo racing

rick macedo racing New Member

one thing pops up that will probably be a problem,watch people start dumping there oil in someones rent a barrel when there not there to save a buck.Its going to be fun to watch