Grade points question

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by wolfgang, Oct 30, 2003.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Do they go with the driver or the car owner?

For example, next season will Todd Veney get credit for the events he drove in this year, or do they go with the team owner, and whoever he hires gets credit for the events his car ran at?

I wonder how they will treat Pat Austin (no Pomona 1 for Pat?)

Wolfgang

2. Tad117

Tad117 Member

Because Pat Austin is a former world champ. He can go anywhere anytime. Until they change that rule too

3. Tommy 2 Tone

Tommy 2 Tone New Member

If Pat wants to go to Pomona he should be able to.

Brandon Bernstein was able to race at Pomona in 2001, with no events in 2000. I am sure that Ashley will be in Pomona, with no TAD events this year.

As for grade points, they generally go with the driver.

4. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

What happens if a driver that has been chasing the division all year decides to leave that team? Can he put his own deal together for next year, and use his grade points to get into whatever events he wants? Also, I believe if you finish in the top 5 in the division you get free entry to next year's events?

5. The Zone

The Zone Member

Kenny, Yes he can use all the points he earned. Is that what John E. is going to do.

Dean

6. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

I wasn't talking about John; I was just wondering. I think he's still hoping that he's driving for them next year.

7. The Zone

The Zone Member

Who then Kenny, Roger? Spill the beans
    Dean

8. Ken Sitko

Ken Sitko Super Comp

Dean, this isn't about anyone in particular. I thought it was an interesting topic, and was just wondering how this deal works. What would be really cool is if one of the TAD or TAFC teams saw some potential in my son as a driver, and would pick him up to run the divisionals (please !!!). Since he had only run at one NHRA race last year, would the team he is driving for be eligible to enter select national events, or would he have to wait a season to earn grading points?

9. The Zone

The Zone Member

Ken, there are scenerios where new racers can get entry to National events. Here is one as per 2004 NHRA national event entry/grading information.
    5) Owner credits may be awarded in cases involving a driver change from one season to the next (contestant must receive approval from their Division Director).
    I do believe there is a rookie clause as well. Having only one sanctioned event under his belt, he may qualify as a rookie. But, I am not sure if rookie status is in the rules anymore.

Dean

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

car owners can also carry grade points to the best of my knowledge, hence darien and others running events. especially in cases where the owner is different than the driver.