Give the blown cars more BLOWER! Immediately!

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Will Hanna, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Well, we're 3 nationals into the season, and the writing is back on the wall again. Gallant goes 5.24, Torrence another .24, Reichert .26, Meyer .27, Force .28, Finke .28 and the list goes on...

Sean O'Bannon 5.31 in very dry west coast air. Since he wasn't in Gainesville or Houston...let's compare him to the top TAFC's since they run the same combo...

Frank Manzo went low in Pomona with a 5.559, David Ray took low e.t. in Gainesville with a 5.569. Newberry went low in Houston with a 5.60. With the water in the air and temp, Houston was .05 slow for a blown combo. Granted Callaway was the lone car there, but his 5.40/264.96 run wasn't that far off if you compare numbers. Once again, I think the best blown car on the planet would have only got a low .30 out. A low .30 is a long, long way away from a win light at the big end against a 5.24.

So once again, we're at the juncture, either give the blown cars more blower or go to 96% for the A/F cars.

Let's keep parity NOW, rather than waste a whole season.

If I was in charge, I would give the Blown cars 125 over effective immediately.

2. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Will, Doesn't that overdrive exceed the existing SFI spec for the size motor used? Unless PSI can or is willing to resubmit the blower to SFI for new tests and re-certification. Which I don't see them doing because they will not recover the expense by selling additional blowers. If they DO allow that much overdrive maybe they can also allow the "C" blower at 2.04 or 2.15 which would allow racers to migrate to a "C". By that time the fuel cars performance would have increased and you could then up the overdrive of the "C" blower.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  3. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Sfi

I've gotten different answers from different people at NHRA on the SFI/OD limit.

As I've stated in the past, the limits created for different cubic inches were created years ago before current rev limiters. the fear was a small cubic inch motor would approach rpm's in the event of driveline failure that might cause rpm to exceed the design's limitations.

I think a very easy case could be made, if necessary for SFI to relax the rules, if that is indeed the case. It may be more of an NHRA rule rather than an SFI spec.

The blower OD is something that could be done right now. The C blower may very well be the permanent fix.

4. bulldog6

bulldog6 A/Fuel #4

Oh, how fast will this post reach 3 pages? I say 2 days...Any takers!

I agree with Will. Give the blowers something. What is there to lose, besides ET??

5. eli

eli Banned

What would taking 1 mag away from the fuel cars do???? would that even it up?:) (answer from fuel car guys only)

6. was R4K

was R4K Member

(questions
    directed to fuel guys are allowed only from fuel guys only!)

7. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

we will just get bigger mag like one 84 amp ?

8. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

they better make it 90% 96-94 aint gonna get er done , 90% would even it up there is just alot of technology out there , & fuelers have learned alot about running with less% in the last 2 years , , & i sure would like to keep racing for a while & if it aint fair , they are not gonna keep any of us around
    & super comp aint much fun, but watching corprate a-fuelers going home after the first round sure is , have already seen to many good racers park there alky , and thats not the growth this class needs.Also make wheelie bars mandatory for all dragsters , & have a spec configuration , & cert, em like wing struts ,

9. eli

eli Banned

10. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

What happened to the idea that was thrown around about factoring the tracks for %?? Perhaps that wouldn't really solve this issue anymore, they seem to run fast anywhere now?

11. afuelfreak

afuelfreak New Member

blown cars have superchargers & a fueler"s have a "blower" = fuel pump !!!!as long as we have a fuel pump we are fast power is in the the fuel, its like loading a cannon the more fuel % or volume you put in the cannon ball goes farther, blown cars need boost , fuelers need gpm , make a spec pump & its even, like a 55 gallon pump, will slow em down

12. eli

eli Banned

13. Smokey

Smokey New Member

od?

It is a bit obsurd to think that more OD or an upgrade to the C blower will cure the problem. While it may take the BAD car a tenth or so faster what then...? Do you guys really think the AFD car is at maximum performance on the developement curve? We all need to face the fact that the AFD is by far the faster combination overall with the greater possibility of even faster runs. Either the class gets split or the BAD fades into obscurity and the blowers go to the funny cars.

14. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

is Ray Alley the one who makes the call on this issue?

15. Woodchip

16. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

Here we go again

For anyone running just one that would slow them a bunch !!:D
    ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    VERY nice ! LMAO.

17. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

How much more is it going to cost to consistently run a BAD in the tweties, assuming they're given 125%, and/or whatever else can be done. How hard will the motor have to be run, and how much more damage is that going to do? I don't have a solution, but it seems to me that allowing the blown cars more power to try and keep up will push alot of people out because of the price of the parts that will wear out and/or break more often. Any BAD guys have any thoughts on potential budget increases?

bryan brown

18. Woodchip

More overdrive wont cause more blow ups. The intake charge would go sonic sooner so it would not be advantageous to run them to 10K

19. Les Mellows

Les Mellows New Member

BACKSIDE of Merry go Round

Restrict the Afuel rear gear (maybe 3.42 ?) and restrict the tire rollout to 110" or ? and maybe that will free the cars up a bit, they need load and don't like alot of rpm. Something along this line would be relatively inexpensive to implement as the tires and the gear are consumables that they would be changing regularly anyway . :rolleyes:

HEY by the way ,
    YEA what he SAID !!!!:D

20. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

One Mag for A-fuel cars

I can tell you that one 44 amp mag on an a-fuel engine would destroy them!!!
    I have had some experience trying to run onw mag and you cannot burn enough fuel to make enough power to be competetive. One of the problems with the blown cars is that many of the top cars made the switch to a-fuel.
    Obannon if memory serves me correct ran the quickest time in the first round at Pomona. This in conditions that favor the fuel cars. Give it a rest! At least wait until the weather gets hot and the altitude to 3000 feet before you have a coranary. One blown car at the Houston race who qualified 7th and should have won the first round if it had not had the tires shake doesn't sound that bad to me. There were 12 fuel cars there that didn't run near that good. I don't disagree with giving them bigger engines or more blower. I am just sick and tired of rules changes on the fuel cars. It is really difficult to find a new tuneup. The fuel cars that are running good have big bugets and make more laps getting ready for the season testing than most of us will make all season. I am not crying about that it's just the way it is. Read on here that Hirata is going to the blown combination because he thinks it is better. Either thats an April fools joke or it is a true statement. History tends to repeat itself and if the top blown cars are present when the weather and tracks get hot it will probably be another story. What are you going to say if the blown cars dominate in the heat? Take some blower away! I have said it before and will say it again. WHY CAN'T THE BLOWN CARS RUN AS GOOD AS THEY COULD 4-5 YEARS AGO?