getting hot sitting in car

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by mark6052, May 18, 2008.

1. mark6052

mark6052 Member

How long before a pass do you suit up and get in the car? I was once in mine for an hour till my butt went numb. now I try get set up just acouple of cars in front of me. My new simpson suit is better than my old one; but I did not get the latest lite weight they have. will see how this works come 4th july in yakima, wa. high heat, low humidity:eek: as if that helps:rolleyes:

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You should try it here in Georgia in both high heat and high humidity. I really feel for the drivers. The worst thing is to get suited up and strapped in an have a car in front have an oil down.

3. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

Funny you mention this
    My brother has just delevoped a small portable air conditioner
    12 Volts pulls less 15 amps i believe
    size 7"x9"x15" long
    ambeit air temp 100° ouput air thru hose is 65°
    35° temp drop 40 cubic feet per minute
    it is being made for the roundy round boys bit would work perfect
    to tuck hose into your suit to keep you cool on HOT days
    he has proto types built for them to test in the next couple weeks

PM more info on his Company.

4. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

heat

My son feeds me ice chips thru the helmet. worked ok for the last 20 years..fresh air helmet helps too

5. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i got one of those cool vest from good vibrations it helps a bunch

6. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

Mark, It was aound 90 this weekend in Woodburn with little over 40% humidity. Sitting in the car was murder. Dave Germain

7. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

sauna

As part of my weight loss training, I try to sit in the sauna Monday morn to flush my weekend sins out (beer, etc.). It gets your body used to being able to sweat, so sitting in the car for a long time is not such a shock. I sat in my car once for about 45 minutes in 105plus heat w/a ton of humidity. luckily there was a breeze blowing through the car.

As always, drink plenty of water.

8. G. HOWLAND

G. HOWLAND Member

Mark,
    I went and tested in Yakima on Saturday. 97 degrees. I have the lightweight Impact suit and the heavy Simpson one also and they are all hot. I bought some of them Carbon X underbritches and I thought I was really going to bake but they actually seemed to be cooler. Very comfortable. I might need some alky by the time Yakima rolls around. Are you able to bring it there and has the price doubled since last year? I will give you a call mid June if you let me know it you have room.
    Greg

9. td314b

td314b New Member

Getting In

I get in at the very last minute....I find I focus a lot better when I don't sit in the seat long. If I am sitting for very long then I get out. My crew chief does a great job of letting me know on the radio how long it is gonna be...9 times out of 10 he will get me out of the car if it looks like we got more then 5-10 minutes of down time. Only been super rushed to suit back up once and I went out and had an .002 light.

Troy

P.S. It doesn't take my crew long to get me strapped ( a minute or so) into the car so I don't sit long. I agree with Will....Breathing properly and controlling your mind set also help when sweating off the pounds if you are in a sauna or in the car.

10. mikentracy718fc

mikentracy718fc New Member

Sometimes there is the hurry and wait. Or the guy in front oiled and it will only take a few min to clean up 30 min later. My butt used to go numb untill I figured out you can swap cheeks around. That helps some.

11. thjts

thjts New Member

I've got Impact's Impactanium underwear, and it's awesome! Even though it's black, the only time I feel hot is when I'm in direct sunlight. Even on a hot and humid day it works a treat.

12. bob szabo

bob szabo FC / altered

cheap cool with bag of ice

On a hot day I put a bag of ice on my chest / belly inside my fire suit, just before I get into my FC. I am real comfortable even in 100+ heat. Once I sat there for 45 min. The guy in front of me passed out in the staging lanes. Was pulled out of his car. I was totally comfortable. And made another round win. The crew was running around asking am I OK. I was comfortable after the run as well. I did slow down 0.0007 sec. because of the extra pound of ice. Just kidding. It works because it is close to the heart where all the blood gets pumped from.
    We carry an ice chest with a couple zip lock bags of ice. Use one every round.
    I also have the crew spray water on my suit before I get in; and on my arms, chest, and shoulders after I am buckled in. On the west coast, with low humidity, that works since the water evaporates taking heat with it. That would not work well on a hot humid day. You just stay wet.
    bob szabo
    author of "Fuel Injection Racing Secrets" and "5000 Horsepower on Methanol"
    www.racecarbook.com

13. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

thats why i like my cool vest with 3 ice jell packs one on the back of your neck and two on your chest and it works great for 75.00

14. 560Jim

560Jim Member

I use the cool vest like JP and its great. I have lots of spare icepacks in a chilly bin so I have fresh frozen packs every time I put on my jacket. Keeps cool for 10 - 15 minutes.

JC

15. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I've used the cool vest and if anyone is looking for one i might sell it...it does work but I have been using bob's way with a zip lock bag and like it very well
    and if you forget to freez extras your going to be hot...but with ice and baggies you will never run out..Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

16. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

to each his own... but i would not get your fire suit wet!

i'm a fireman by profession and if you want to get burned go into a house with wet gear on. fire suits/bunker gear basically work by using fireproof material to create insulated dead-air spaces because air is a poor conductor of heat. water/moisture/water-vapor conduct heat 25x faster than air! great for cooking hot dogs but shitty for protecting drivers. most firefighter's gear has an added 'vapor barrier' to keep the steam that is converting from pushing in on the fireman. this steam actually tries to penetrate into the suit because 1cu/ft of water 'converts' into 1,700cu/ft of steam and builds pressure (and this happens at 212 degrees!-not much when your on-fire at 200mph)

as long as the 'dead-air' spaces in the suit are available they absorb and lower the temp as it reaches the drivers skin... but when compressed the protection is minimized. this is why drivers get burned on the back of the legs, fingers, back, etc... bascially anywhere the layers of their suit are compressed.

guess what i'm saying is the bag of ice idea is probably the best... just take it out just before the run and keep you suit dry

i've been in 1,500+degress many times at work as well as on fire in the car so this is first hand day to day stuff for me

Last edited: May 26, 2008
  17. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I also am a Professional Firefighter/Paramedic. I have seen lots of firefighters get burned under their turnouts by steam. Steam will cause some impressive second degree burns that are really painful. Staying dry inside the firesuit is very important. I usually wet a dish towel with cold water and wear it around my neck until I get in the car. The cool vest sounds like a great idea though. I might try that one sometime. Dave Germain

18. mark6052

mark6052 Member

I will try the nomex under wear next time. I know I should be using it anyway. sweating in the car is like making love to a very fat woman. at first its uncomfortable, but once you get a good sweat going, well so I heard;)

19. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

Now Thats Funny Right There

20. The Shoe

The Shoe New Member

I found a company called parker pumper, they make fresh air systems for roundy rounders. The cool part of the system is a modified igloo cooler with an aluminum rad mounted inside, pack it with ice and you have air conditioning piped directly to your helmet. On the 100+ degree days I can sit in the car a long time and watch other sweat their brains out. This was in doorslammers though, so finding a place to mount the cooler could be a chore for a F/C