Gallon p. minute on blown PM engine

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Marco Maurischat, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Marco Maurischat

Marco Maurischat New Member

Hi,
    I´m running a blown Pro Mod in Europe. Starting to work with the fuel meter. So would be great if I could get some advice about flow numbers on certain points into the run. Run it at 1 G on idle, 7.5G at 8000 rpm 1 gear. Not sure about the next numbers to look for. This is what I run:
    BAE block, Noonan PM heads, DMPE M5 blower, 20% overdrive (FIA legal) 3 speed B&J Run the Fuel Meter behind Barrel Valve
    best Et so fare 6,14sec @235 miles
    Thanks, Marco

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Marco, it depends on which cam you are using but you need 5.5 to 5.8 gpm while on the Two Step. The if you divide the GPM by the amount of boost at any one rpm you need to be safe on start out .33 to .34 gpm per one pound of boost. That should be at any point during the run the you can read the plugs according to my article. http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticles/reading-alcohol-spark-plugs.html That is a pretty good ET so far so I believe you are close so how much burn on your plugs now? If you want to see a picture of a plug with the right color then email me at Mike.c@mindspring.com

3. Marco Maurischat

Marco Maurischat New Member

Hey Mike, thanks for letting me know about the fuel flow. I usually use new plugs when starting a weekend to "read "them. But great to let me know about your your article.Will send you a mail regarding the pictures as well.

4. Nemo963

Nemo963 Member

Hey Mike, do you have pictures to go along with that article?

5. promodracer

promodracer Member

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

7. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

Hi Mike....I have a question on the .34 GPM per lb. of boost.
    The top dragster I help on (BBC supercharged) and my car (BBC/Arias Hemi) we try to keep the A/F ratio at 3.8 to 3.9. The .34 GPM puts the tune at a A/F ratio of +4.3. That would make me very nervous!!!
    At the 3.9 A/F the plugs are colored about 3/4s the way around the shell. Am I missing something or just too conservative?

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

When you say your plugs are colored 3/4s of the way what color do you mean? Can you email me picture of your plugs to mike.c@mindspring.com. I will also email back some pictures of plugs. How are you getting AFR?

I need to see just plugs with just one run on them. It also helps to clean them off with brake cleaner

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

Getting the A/F with the Fkal program. I will send pics to your email.

10. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

With that program I would use the plug readings to get the mixture correct then feed the data into the program and read the AFR. Then whatever it reads rich or lean is the reference for your combination. What is your GPM to Boost right now and what is the displacement of your motor?

11. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

Keep in mind the .33 gal is just a reference. There are a number of other factors that may require your combination to have more or less. For instance if you have a bunch of head temp, you are going to need more fuel to cool it off than a combination that has a cool head. I have seen different camshafts want something different for fuel. Also, the boost transducer itself is a major variable. For instance there's a story about two TAFC teams several years ago with identical engine combinations. One team's blower showed 3 more lbs of boost on the graph. Well the team with the "good" blower lost first round and let the other team try their blower, only to see no difference in performance and the boost graph was nearly identical to their blower. On a side note from the original topic - the best boost gauge is the speed scoreboard!

12. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

You are right it is not accurate but it will put you in the ballpark plus or minus maybe 2 then you can fine tune from there using plug readings. The biggest factor in if it is going to be .32 or .35 is the camshaft. The camshaft also causes the amount of boost to change. You still need to tune your motor using plug readings.

13. 32 bantam

32 bantam Member

We do read the plugs and use that info. first. The Fkal program helps us understand the changes we make and what the weather does to the tune up...so we don't do something stupid and hurt parts. We try to be conservative. Trying to get more comfortable leaning it out.
    I will stick with just one car...the T/D ,540 BBC, HH14/71 retro with Janis mods. 32 lbs of boost with 100 main and a 15.5 GPM pump.
    83% going to the engine or 12.86 GPM
    12.86 divided by 32 = .40
    That combo gets us the 3/4 color around the shell of the plug.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    promodracer likes this.
  14. PROMOD63

PROMOD63 Member

OK if you need.3 at any given rpm to be safe does this include while it's on the 2 step ? I have 7 g on the 2 step and 49 lbs of boost ?

15. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No it does not include the Two Step. You say .3 and that us lean. You want up around .34 to start out with the read your plugs and go from there. Your on the Two Step sounds pretty good.

16. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Would that mean the factor would be around .15 on the 2-Step or read the EGT's and start at say .2?

17. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

Is this Top Secret info or an unknown?

18. Outlaw68

Outlaw68 Member

Reading this and its a great theory and probably a good safe start. But considering the boost curve is NOT linear with RPM in a 1:1 ratio, so If I have .34 at 46 lbs of boost the amount of fuel needed at 9600 rpm and 46lbs is going to be different than the amount of fuel needed at 6500 and 46 lbs of boost. So while the reference is a safe spot what works 8000 rpm and 46 lbs on one cant be the same as one thats 9600 and 46 lbs. Or am I missing something.

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Boost changes with rpm and believe it or not the gallons per pound of boost will remain fairly constant providing you are not turning leanouts on or off. This is not a theory and you can make a Racepak math channel that divides the GPM by boost and watch it remain constant on the graph. Or you can do a RacePak ASCII Text print out of rpm, boost and GPM and divide it out yourself. Also how can you make 46 lbs of boost at 8000 rpm and also make 46 lbs of boost at 9600 rpm.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  20. J.M.J pegasus

J.M.J pegasus New Member

Does that .34 work with any DA?.as I run at around 7000 ft DA and I make 40-42#s at 7600 rpm..
    also my alky pro software compute at 1500 da.I got my system flow with randy anderson. My pump was flowed at 100 psi. Is that what I enter in pump flow?