Fundamental Changes to the Alcohol Series

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Blown Chances, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

In response to Justin's thread, I thought I'd start a topic of my own so as to not sidetrack his valid points.

I like the theory of a unified group that works to make forward progress for the Alcohol Classes. I've actually been approached multiple times, by multiple members of the PSA, to get involved with the PSA because people understand how passionate I am about Drag Racing and the Top Alcohol Classes. However, I know that I have a very different vision for what the forward progress should be. That difference in vision led me to not join the PSA. The number 1 goal of the PSA, as I've seen from the efforts made thus far, is to advertise and promote Top Alcohol at Regional events. I regretfully feel that promoting Regional events is a futile effort.

Here is how I look at the Regional/Divisional events: They are a "club race" that you compete at in order to go and enjoy running your race car. IF your operational costs were less than $500/per pass, a $3500-$4000 winner's payday is appropriate. Unfortunately, with the current costs of running a competitive TAD/TAFC, running for anything less than the NHRA National Event payout and the accompanying media exposure just doesn't make financial sense. Should the Divisional tracks be expected to pay more than $18,000 to host TAD/TAFC? I don't think so because most of these events are held, as Will would say, to make their money off the back gate. NHRA is keeping TAD/TAFC at these races kind of as a favor to us, not as a money making venture.

Do some Regionals get promoted and attended by a large number of paying spectators? Yes, but they're the exception, not the rule. The exceptions (Woodburn, Salt Lake, Denver, Norwalk...) deserve a great show to promote; a Sportsnational including 16 car Alcohol fields as the headliners.

Take a look at next season's Western Regional Schedule. Out of the 6 events, 4 of them are back to back with a National Event so that the "Sportsman" racers will only have to pay for the trip once. (Phx, Vegas1, Seattle, Vegas2) I can't fault NHRA for scheduling their events in such a way. However, that makes it next to impossible to get a paying crowd to attend the Regional event. Spectators most likely only attend the National event which is just a week before/after.

I'm not above racing at a Regional event, but I have a hard time spending $1500+ per run to possibly win $2500 + $1000 in contingency. Is it all about the money? Of course not, if it was, then we all would've quit any type of racing years ago. But with this current cost to payout structure at Divisionals, even when you win, you lose. And no company is going to help sponsor your car at a race with no spectators.

Many of you already know what I attempted to create this season with my "Power Adders" class. The goal was to build a race format that included TAD, TAFC, PM and many other combinations of race cars that are too fast/expensive/high maintenance/unpredictable to be bracket raced in Top Dragster or Top Sportsman. (Because that's where we are going to end up if we don't build our own alternative.) "Power Adders" is a first to the finish line, no breakout, real race, with a handicap start based off of the combinations' 1/8th mile "records." The 1/8th mile distance is to keep costs down, racers safe, and racing close.

The Power Adders class is designed to fit the "club race" format of a Divisional. Lowering costs would increase the enjoyment of participating in the class. The member tracks would appreciate a reduced purse and increased field. There's still a promotable show if they choose to do so, and all us alky racers have a class we can run at our home track when the Divisionals come to town. Many of us have lost our home town race because of the Regional Series.

Here's the Facebook page I created for the Power Adders series.

http://www.facebook.com/PowerAddersRacingSeries

And here's a video explaining one of the events. I reworked the audio, so hopefully its more understandable than the previous one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTEoOE_D3KE&feature=youtu.be

Shoot me an email for the complete Power Adders rule book: flash568@gmail.com

The intention was to create a class that could be adopted by the Divisional series, thus allowing TAD/TAFC to "move up" to a National Event/Sportsnational only class. (There should be one Sportsnational in every Division, and Alcohol should have full 16 car fields with national event purses at all 7 of them.) As long as TAD/TAFC racers are bickering over pennies, we will never earn the faith from the sanctioning body that we can "move up." Pro Mod racers essentially bought their way past Alcohol in the NHRA hierarchy.

The Lucas family does an amazing job of supporting and promoting the Top Alcohol classes. Forest believes that we are valuable enough to fund our ESPN TV coverage. We as Alcohol racers NEED that TV coverage to increase and improve. It's the future of our class. I don't have the connections to make this happen, but if the PSA was focused on this, I would be willing to spend $1000 a year to join. With TV time comes sponsorship dollars.

Here is a question for those of you who have sponsors. Would your sponsor be willing to buy commercial time during Lucas Oil Sportsman Series Episodes? If we used our sponsors to help Lucas improve and increase the Sportsman TV shows, we would be a more valuable asset to a potential sponsor.

NHRA Top Alcohol is to NHRA Top Fuel, as the Nascar Nationwide Series is to Nascar's Sprint Cup Series.

NOW is the time for us and NHRA to work together on a reformating if we want the Top Alcohol classes' exposure level to increase. ESPN will have a huge void to fill without NASCAR. (ESPN will no longer cover NASCAR if you haven't already heard that news.)

NHRA and ESPN are pushing for the Live Broadcasts of final qualifying and eliminations. This is being experimented with to help fix the falling ratings.

Here is how I feel a high quality NHRA national event would go:

Thursday: Time trials and qualifying for "Sportsman" (Comp, SC, SG, SS, Stock)

Friday: Round 1 of "Sportsman" fill in throughout the day.

Top Alcohol Qualifying at 10:00, 1:00, and 4:00

Mellow Yellow Qualifying at 6:00 {One run only, because the Friday crowds don't show up until later in the day, and assuming it costs an average of $10,000/pass, this saves the pros a combined total of $14,400,000 each year (60 cars x 24 events x $10,000)}

Saturday: Round 2 and 3 of "Sportsman" fill in throughout the day.
    Top Alcohol E1 - 10:00
    Top Alcohol E2 - 12:30
    Mellow Yellow Q2 - 1:00
    Top Alcohol E3 - 2:30
    Mellow Yellow Q3 - 3:00
    Top Alcohol Finals - 4:30

Sunday: Final eliminations of Mellow Yellow starting at 11:00
    "Sportsman" fills in throughout the day with their finals between the Semis and Finals of the Pros

Now why would we do this?

Here's the theory:

The qualifying TV show is lackluster at best. Lots of tire smoke and aborted runs. We see the same people in the same cars doing the same thing. It lacks drama unless one of the big names has to make the show on the last run. The whole show basically serves as a gossip column that updates the viewers on the same things they probably already read on NHRA.com earlier in the week. This is not ESPN's fault, that's just all they have to report on for 1.5-2 hours.

Combine the Sportsman and Qualifying shows to elevate the Top Alcohol classes, and enhance the content of the Qualifying show.

2.5 hours of quality entertainment:

-Start with 15 minutes of Friday night highlights of all the Mellow Yellow classes. Catch people up on any big news coming into the event. (Crew chief changes, new sponsors, new drivers, etc.)
    -Move into 15 minutes of Top Alcohol Round 1, EVERY PAIR. Show Lucas Oil commercials (or companies buying time from Lucas Oil) during that 15 minutes.
    -Show round 2 of Top Alcohol just as they do now. 8 pair takes about 20 more minutes. More Lucas Oil commercials (or companies buying time from Lucas Oil) during that 20 minutes.
    -Go to 15 more minutes of Mellow Yellow highlights from Q2 Saturday morning.
    -Show Top Alcohol Semi Finals that will be just slightly tape delayed for 10 more minutes. Show Lucas Oil commercials (or companies buying time from Lucas Oil) during that 10 minutes.
    -LIVE Final qualifying for Mellow Yellow Professionals
    -LIVE Final round of TAFC/TAD which should take about 5 minutes.

This doesn't work if the current 2AM Sunday morning time slot keeps being used for the qualifying show. We are better off sticking with a tape delayed show even though everyone already knows the outcome.

Now you're probably good enough at math to see that we only have 50 minutes of the program. Well, right now our hour long broadcast shows the finals of the other sportsman classes. This is VERY important!

The LIVE Mellow Yellow Elimination show that ESPN is attempting to produce has a huge gap in between the Semis and Finals. They have nothing to show except interviews with a bunch of dejected losers trying to get one more sponsor plug in. ESPN NEEDS TO SHOW THE FINALS OF COMP, SC, SG, STOCK, AND SS DURING THIS TIME!!! All they need is 10 minutes for the finals of these other classes. Show Lucas Oil commercials (or companies buying time from Lucas Oil) during that 10 minutes.

Drag racing is a participant sport. I watch the broadcasts because I race. People dream of being a professional race car driver, but it is unattainable for 99.8% of viewers. Therefore, potential fans of the sport can't relate to what they see on TV. Now, when they see a Super Stock Camaro, or Mustang, or Challenger that they can buy at the dealership, modify at their shop, and be racing LIVE ON ESPN, that's potential growth for our sport!!! Lewis Bloom is a fantastic supporter of racers in classes like these.

I haven't joined the PSA because this vision is vastly different than that of what the association is working towards. I've heard good and bad comments about this vision. I know I'm reaching for the stars with these suggestions, but nothing I've outlined here is impossible.

I hope this doesn't come off as a selfish modification to the current system to benefit my own needs. I can't afford to chase a national title no matter what the format is. I don't have a big sponsor, but when I did have a little financial backing, they appreciated the TV time that we got their company more than anything else.

Let me know what you think of these ideas. If you don't want to put your comments on here, shoot me an email or give me a call.

801-301-3605
    flash568@gmail.com

Cody "Flash" Perkins

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. TAD529

TAD529 Member

Format

I think some of what Cody has said makes sense. Why would people want to pay to see Alcohol when the week before or after they got to see both Alcohol as well as Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock and Pro Mod. It is definitely a different approach and since the previous ideas have had only limited success it is worth some thought along with what is currently being done. The PSA has had a stronger presence in the East than in the West. As a member I didn't,t even know there was a autograph session in Vegas until it was over. Seems to lack communication. The majority of the posts on the PSA website where by Marty Thacker. good Job Marty and thanks for trying to keep people informed. With Marty and Justin leaving you have to wonder what happens with there departure and the new board. I do not believe we have heard much from the President/ Treasurer or the Secretary. If the PSA would incorporate some of Cody's ideas I think it would work better. Maybe all of his ideas aren't obtainable but some surely should be thought about such as Sponsorship sharing TV costs with Lucas to get there brand out there. Everyone has to agree that Cody has a passion for alcohol racing and has tried with some success to promote our type of racing

Enough of that. As the Holidays are upon us I would like to wish everyone a HAPPY HOLIDAY. Also with the holidays I ask that we all pray for the family's that have lost loved ones this past year. We all have lost some friends and family in the racing community this year and may God comfort there family's and friends
    Happy Holidays
    Geno

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  3. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

***CAUTION*** THREAD HIJACK***

Cody:

Good job in Ruckman's car.

RG

4. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Cody,
    I like your ideas for the show, but as I said in my post, it is up to the racers to give them a show and the drama that comes with it. We all know each other, and the different personalities out there. Well those personalities need to find a way of making it onto the TV broadcast. We don't need a bunch of John Forces, but we do need some personalities fans can attach themselves to. I'd go one further with your idea and have longer top end interviews/commentary like they do on the ESPN3 qualifying show.

As for the direction of the PSA, we are starting on the ground floor building the relationships. You can't just march in to the ESPN trailer or NHRA's offices demanding they run their show a certain way. And you have actually personified my points about taking action. If you and so many others feel this strongly about how things should be done, why don't you put your money where your mouth is, join and run for PSA board? Why not try to give your ideas legs with a recognized organization with our sanctioning body?

5. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

RG: Thanks!

Geno: I appreciate the support and know what you mean by improving the communication as I also found out with very little heads up about the Autograph session. Those I really think are a great idea BTW!

Justin: This Power Adders class could to be adopted by the NHRA Divisional series, but it would only happen because a LARGE group of racers banded together and pushed NHRA. I've gotten quite a large response of people interested in the format, but not the participation due primarily to travel expenses. Rocky Mountain was very generous in helping me run a trial season of this format. Unfortunately, it wasn't the ideal location since it is 400 miles from the next closest NHRA dragstrip.

I don't want to form my own racing series!!! I wanted to prove that we could take NHRA's existing classes, combine the combinations, and have a decent class that racers would bring their cars out for.

Would the PSA support more than just NHRA TAD/TAFC? The Power Adders class, as it is currently written up, includes: NHRA Pro mods (all 3 combos), IHRA Alcohol Funny Cars (resurrection), ADRL Pro Mods, Nostalgia A-Fuel (Both combos), as well as indexes that many of the really fast Top Dragsters fit into. I could see very strong support from the manufacturers for this class because of the potential growth it has. Membership numbers could be incredible if we're looking at 20-30+ racers at every Divisional event.

Just thoughts.

Flash

6. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

...1100 views... 2 opinions?...

Good/Bad I want to know:

Would anyone (Currently racing Top Alcohol or something else) support the Power Adders Divisional alternative to the current declining Regional series?

Would anyone support the TV broadcast to help it expand?

Like/Hate headlining the Saturday show with the sacrifice of racing on Sunday?

Looking for some friendly banter...

Flash

7. Hemi101

Hemi101 Member

Changes

I am a person who is always in favor of change. But I think racing to 1/8 mile completely takes away Drag Racing in the alcohol class all together. In my opinion the alcohol classes are the best two classes NHRA has to offer (wether they realize that or not) and 1320 feet is a big part of why i feel that way. I like the idea of eliminations complete on saturday as it helps guys get back to work and doesnt drag out our program like they seem to now be doing. But there is something said about being a part of the show on Sunday that i think for me is important and many others out there. I also agree that there are 1600 views of this thread and every single one of you whine and complain about NHRA and how bad we are treated whaa whaa but even in a public opinion site like this not alot of you have anything to say. These guys are just trying to save some of the teams that are less funded than others... more cars better show.... 5 cars in each class and we all may as well stay home!

8. Night Moves

Night Moves New Member

Norwalk

Hi,
    I don't know the answer to any of these questions/ issues.....but I know I went to the Regional at Norwalk for the first time this year....

40,000 spectators on Saturday, pits were packed, great show.

Mike L.

9. bryanbrown

bryanbrown Member

Since your not getting many responses, I'll bite. You deserve a ton of credit for creating your series. I imagine it's impossible to make everyone happy and I know I don't have the energy to even think about starting something like that. However, index racing doesn't really do it for me. Especially if I have to travel to do it. If it came to that I'd probably build a promod, altered or a fast bracket car. I might be in the minority on this because I'm fortunate to have tracks and options pretty close to me.

TV? That sounds great, but realistically, how are any of us going to affect NHRA/ESPN in their programming decisions? We're not. They get paid to put Mellow Yellow on the screen as much as possible. Maybe I'm a serial pessimist but I don't see that ever happening. Common sense says this is a participant sport so show people it's possible to participate, but they haven't done it yet and I doubt they ever do.

I like Fri/Sat races. Having Sunday as a travel day is great

10. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Thanks for the input!

Hemi: I want to make sure you see that I don't want to see anything about the Top Alcohol classes change other than to increase their level of exposure, reduce the overlapping schedule, and increase payouts. 1/4 mile, 270+ mph speeds, 10,000 RPM all stays the same. You're not the only one who likes those aspects of the class.

Night moves: Norwalk's Regional is one of the events, I feel, deserves to be elevated to a Sportsnational. Complete with Top Alcohol headlining the event, National event payouts, and 16 car fields. Denver's Regional has pulled a great crowd on Father's day too. Each Division has it's 1 track that still belives in promoting the Alcohol classes.

Bryan: When you say index racing I always think of Super Comp or 7.0 Pro. Classes that have a "target" or a limit to how fast you can run your race car. I think you know, but I still want to clearify that this Power Adders format is handicapped head start based off of 68 different combinations' "records." One of those combinations being D/AL. (PSI D rotor, 2050#, 125" WB Altered with a clutch) Please build one of those!!! Talk about bitchin, unique, and fun!... And in this Power Adders class it's the first one to the finish line wins. No breakout. When a new record for the combination is set, the handicap changes. But other than that, there's no games, just real racing.

It helps hearing from different parts of the country. My home track had a divisional for the first time in 12+ years, and it was alcohol free. My closest Regionals are 400+ miles away. If I qualify at the tough 8 car fields that we have at these Regionals, the qualifying money goes straight to Pilot/Flying J.

Thanks again,

Flash

11. pennance

pennance Member

I fundamentally disagree with how Justin tables the direction of how to achieve the goals that are clearly stated in the preceding threads. In essence for lack of better terms a "Union" is what is necessary here to achieve change. Now keep in mind i despise "Unions" I feel they are not viable in business today. But in this situation. The only way NHRA is going to listen to us is with a unified voice...a STRONG unified voice. PSA could be that but it appears a long way away from that to the outsider.

Going to NHRA with your hat in hand is no way to do business here. Its a sure way to fail. Walking in the door as a unified group with a SUBSTANTIAL membership of racers and a strong plan on how to achieve our goals is what is going to get you where you want to go. NHRA is never going to listen to dreamers and backyard mechanics. They are going to listen to businessmen. The only thing they are going to listen to is the additional revenue that can be generated by US and NHRA our proposals bring, along with improving ours and the fans experience. Thats the world they work in and can relate to.

He is correct that relationships need to be built first with NHRA. In my opinion Forrest Lucas is the conduit to building those relationships. He has the inside track and the ear of NHRA. Bernstein also to me would be a excellent resource because of the PRO group experience. And both their sons coming thru the alcohol ranks. They would be your executive committee.

The second step here is building a comprehensive membership of racers in the class and identifying the talents in that pool dedicated to forwarding the cause and exploiting those talents.

Sound pie in the sky? sure it does....Until leadership gets organized and moves the ball. I dont mean to sound rude. Were just not seeing the results matching the rhetoric.

If i hijacked the thread im sorry Will please move it.

Dave

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. Hemi101

Hemi101 Member

Well Said

Dave: Very interesting way of looking at the whole deal sounds like the best thing said so far. You have my vote!

Hemi

13. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

a few points

Cody - I'm not trying to knock your proposal. We have stated our differences in opinion on this in the past, but since it's brought up in this thread, I'll counter with a few points.

I'm all for change and promoting Top Alcohol better - we're in the same boat there. Once you step out of the realm of racing on a team, to everyone else except the spectators, it's a business. I would love to see better payouts, more races, better this and that, but if there is not something for NHRA, a track, a sponsor, someone to gain out of those type of investments back in our class, it's an unrealistic goal.

From a perspective of looking out for the entire Top Alcohol class, I have a real concern about getting rid of the regional deal, even if a few of them were to turn into Sportsnationals. I'm concerned how tough the national event fields would be to get in and if it would appear too hard for a new guy to get involved. That's one concern I have with that.

Some people have a car that would qualify, and some have the means to travel, but just don't have the time with their business/job. Cutting more races to go to an all-national deal will lead to some people quitting.

Your sportsnational proposal included inserting Top Alcohol into some if not all of the existing JEGS Sportsnationals and this was to be funded by LUCAS OIL Drag Racing Series Regional Championship Purses being redistributed to event payouts. I don't know that Lucas would just want that money to fund a few races that is essentially a JEGS series. I don't know that Jegs or the tracks would even want the alcohol cars at those events because they are participant funded back gate events. They do a lot of specialty races and cook outs, etc., at these races that they may not have time to do if they had alcohol at these races. If Forrest and Morgan are apathetic enough towards the money they allocate to Top Alcohol Regional Championship purses to allow that to happen, it might be a real concern.

There also isn't a chance in hell outside of this purse redistribution that even the big crowd regionals like Norwalk and Denver would increase their event purse from $16,000 to $66,500.

In my opinion the alcohol racer is the only one who benefits in that scenario. Lucas, Jegs, NHRA, the tracks and the other sportsman racers who fund that event with entry fees don't have much to gain, if anything. In fact one could argue the alcohol cars could affect some of those parties negatively. I don't think any of these Sportsnationals are promoted as a fan-draw front gate event. So even if it did happen, you're right back in the same boat - trying to convince the tracks they should promote an event with Top Alcohol. If the track is not footing the bill for the increased purse, they have little incentive to try to recoup that purse through a front gate crowd. For these reasons, I feel this idea, in this current frame work, is unrealistic.

The reason I started the PSA was to try to help build our class up at the regionals. Our divisional now regional series was allowed to deteriorate in the way of front gate promotions for a long time. So there's a lot of work to do to get it where it needs to be. My objectives were two-fold. One work with NHRA and the tracks to help tracks promote the Top Alcohol cars at regional events. Two, promote the drivers of our class in the media to make them more 'household' names. Build a fan following. I am no longer involved or on the management board of the PSA, but that is where I tried to steer it. I still feel this is the way to go. In my opinion this is the only realistic way to ever pave the road to any kind of purse increase. Let's say in 3-5 years down the road, the efforts of the PSA or whoever turns the tide and 60-70% of the regionals are promoted and have respectable crowds. Now we are an asset to the tracks and NHRA. Now you have a leg to stand on to make a case for a purse increase. Not to mention this would help spur growth in more tracks picking us back up, and ultimately keep new blood coming in the class.

As a Crew Chief, I LOVE racing national events. The NHRA tire machine track prep is second to none. Great facilities, challenging racing. It's great. As a racer that has the experience of going fast, winning races, etc., it's an exciting idea to think of all national event deal. No more junk tracks to try to figure out how to limp the car down. More payout, TV, etc. In a big picture frame of mind, I think it might hurt the class in the short and long term to go to all nationals. We are not near the asset to a national event track that we would be to a promoted regional.

At some point we may end up racing on Saturday, but it won't be in the name of promoting us as a headliner. A national event is about the Pro's, we are never going to cut into that. It's for that reason I don't think NHRA will ever put much emphasis on promoting Saturday alcohol eliminations if it were to pass. I think we may end up racing 2-3 rounds on Saturday in the near future if NHRA continues to go down the road of live TV coverage, which I feel it is inevitable. It won't be framed as 'lets race the alcohol cars on Saturday and promote it," it will be more along the lines of getting our rounds out of the way.

When I pitched this idea probably 10 years ago, I got my ass chewed out by several prominent racers that if they couldn't race on Sunday, they might just quit. It was important to them as a racer, and to some of them their sponsor to be a part of the final eliminations on Sunday. We aren't the first to pitch the idea either. The Pro Stock Truck Association pushed for this very same deal, and they were a Pro class. I have heard various factions within the Pro Stock world push for this too. You can take it to the bank that the nitro team owners (all 3 of them) are going to use every ounce of clout they have to make sure they don't lose any of their limelight. I have no idea what the additional costs of turning our one week delayed ESPN2 coverage and turning into a same-day deal piggybacked in with the PRO qualifying coverage. From a business standpoint, Lucas probably gets more exposure from the time slots we get on the tape delayed shows than paying more money for a same day deal to come on at 2 am. They will never let alcohol cars cut much into their Pro show because they don't want to lose exposure.

I see the pro's and con's of more eliminations rounds, if not all of them on Saturday. However, I don't see NHRA using their promotional/marketing focus to really put an effort into promoting the alcohol cars instead of any of the Pro classes (or the pay to be pro Pro Mod). Much less basing a run schedule around the alcohol cars. It would be cool if they did, I'd love it and I'd support it, but I just don't see that as a realistic goal.

This ties in to why I felt like we needed to dedicate the time and resources the PSA did last year to having feature write ups throughout the year. If more fans know who Brandon Booher, Cody Perkins, Clint Thompson, Dale Brand, etc are, they are more inclined to watch us and follow us at national events.

As bad as we think we got it as alcohol racers, in the scheme of heads up racing classes and series, we actually have a good gig when compared to other options. If you are looking for close, in many parts it may not be the answer. As bad as our payouts are, if you compare them to other heads up classes, in most cases our payouts are better.

While much has been made out of the lack of ratings for the NHRA Pro show and subsequently our show, the grass may not be greener on another channel.

I do think that a Top Alcohol TV show would be better packaged as more of a reality show than cramming a race into a 50 minute window. One of the offshore boat series did this instead of just airing coverage of the race. I'm not a boat fan and could care less about watching boats race on TV. Watching what went on behind the scenes, the personalities, the back-story of the race, that intrigued me, got my attention and viewership. Pick a couple of teams to really follow over the course of a race weekend and make the show about that.

My thoughts as a whole are to build what we are doing up. Build the regional events up, get tracks to promote us, try to get more races on the schedule. Promote our class, promote our drivers. There's a lot to do and realistically all we can do is chip away at it.

Dave- As we are seeing unfold with the PSA, it is very difficult, if not impossible to get alcohol racers to organize. There are too many different agendas, personalities and apathy. I think at the end of the day a lot of racers race to get away from stress and don't want to deal with the stress that comes with organizing and working towards making the class better. That apathy and 'get away' attitude certainly doesn't stop them from bitching about being under paid, under promoted and mistreated, though.

14. Will Hanna

Staff Member

regional sponsorship value

Let me add to my last post in regards to Regional sponsorship value.

I think we can all agree, an empty house has far less sponsorship value than a packed house.

This is particularly a problem at many of the Western Regionals because several of them are piggy backed on top of a national event.

However there is a lot of value to be the headliner at an event with a big crowd.

Another element of sponsorship I think a lot of people miss is hospitality. As alcohol racers, many of us are not set up for it or really experienced it to know what goes on and how to use it as a sales tool. However if you look at the sponsors that are involved with the Pro teams, the main attraction isn't just 'getting exposure' as many like to pitch it in the sponsorship game, but creating a business to business sales opportunity for your sponsor through a hospitality area.

There's a hell of a lot more opportunity for an alcohol team to pursue this at a regional than there is at a national. In fact at some nationals you can't get any extra pit space for hospitality.

15. pennance

pennance Member

Will its great to hear you pipe in on this. Every point you have made is a valid point. In fact we cannot discount any of the points made by anyone in here they are all valid points. And extreme kudos need to go out to everyone past and present in PSA that has gotten to the conversation to where it is now.

I kinda feel like NHRA and the racers have more in common than differences. Everyone wants a good show for the fans and everyone wants to have a great time and get paid to do it. So where we have to go is what we have in common first and go from there.

It very well could be that the groups credibility needs to be built up on the divisional/regional level first to gain credibility. But given the logistics of that its going to take alot of continuity among PSA. And noting goes on at that level without the blessing of Glendora so its a case of the chicken or the egg.

To me PSA needs to be a group of "membership has its privileges" I dont want to go into a long drawn out diatribe here how to do that. But for the racers to have buy in they have to see a return on investment, just like NHRA. I strongly agree racers would rather bitch than fix things, but i look at the bitching more as reaching out because they feel helpless to fix the situation. This core group here has to be the ones that take that energy and convert into action. Even with that in place there still will be bitcher's, you can keep some of the people happy but never keep all the people happy. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  16. Hemi101

Hemi101 Member

Other Options???

Gonna go out on a limb here and say a bad word IHRA? When the alcohol class ran that series the crowds were huge, the tv coverage was OK and the payouts were very good. I believe same payout as a national event win in NHRA. I know the thought of this is not what we are discussing here but in the IHRA events we were also considered PROS. If we could start a "screw blower" program rather than the old rules why would we not entertain the idea if this? Nostalgia Nitro Funny Car did it for next year with HUGE payouts and they do the Heritage Series on top of their new deal. Agreed alot of these tracks are east coast but there are some west coast and probably a few more if the option was out there. And i know for a fact track owners make huge profits off the IHRA option over the NHRA deal on a regional level. ITs a National Event and alot of the people that come to watch dont know the difference anyways between the two seperate organizations anyways. Fuel Cars, Pro Mods, Alcohol Funny cars all in the pro class, race the nearest regionals and NHRA national events depending on each persons budget, and I will bet anyone NHRA will have to do something to compete with the show someday!

Just a thought

John

17. Hemi101

Hemi101 Member

Sorry guys

Alcohol Dragsters as well sorry TAD guys We need all of you!

18. Will Hanna

Staff Member

Ihra

I'm sure IHRA would welcome us with open arms as long as we paid our own purse. Word is they made the Mountain Motor Pro Stock guys put up 300k to come back and race.

IHRA has a significant investment in their Nostalgia FC program and Nitro Harleys. Many of their venues have limited crowd capacity compared to many NHRA national event tracks.

19. Chuck Anderika

Am i missing something

Basically they are having a private gamblers race. I don't see why they need IHRA. They could have that at any track.

20. rognelson777

rognelson777 Member

A couple of notes. Here is a link to the deals with IHRA prostock and NHRA Promod from dragracing online. http://www.dragracingonline.com/analysis/xv_12-newworld-1.html So IHRA prostocks are putting up $30 K a race (IHRA will only have 10 races). Also noted on that site is ADRL was paying a professional crew to prep the track $20,000 for their 2 day event.

Maybe Alcohol cars need to setup more regional organizations like the Northeast Promods have done. They work with local tracks and local sponsors

Nice payout Here is their 2014 schedule http://www.neoutlawpromods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=3

As I work on a comp car, I see the same problems that Alky has and hope comp can come up with something similar to NEOPMA.

Roger Niemczyk