fuel line question

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by topalky511, Aug 29, 2005.

1. topalky511

topalky511 Member

im running an alky dragster with a rootes blown hemi, the fuel tank is in the front of the car and i run a hard line to the front of the seat then -20 braided line around the seat and back to the fuel pump, probabaly about 4ft of -20 line, im running a waterman 750 pump , is it possible that the fuel line is being sucked in, i know people that have had trouble with this problem when using a soft rubber hose in the main fuel line but not sure wether it would suck in a braided line, any help or experience would be much appreciated

2. rickey

rickey Member

we had the problem of sucking a braided line shut on our oil pump

so it can be done

3. Luke

Luke NFAA Altered

hope this will help, i no of people that have used rubber hose too and it has flattened with the sucking force from the fuel pump, we use a hard alloy line and only use rubber hose on the bend up to the fuel pump and the feed from the tank. and have also kept this as short as possible to avoid this.

4. NervesofSteel

To avoid having the rubber or braided line collapse on you I would recommend installing a large wound wire (spring)inside the fuel line such as you see in a radiator hose, but also, try and keep the length of hose(s) as short as possible. White smoke at 9000 rpm is not a good thing.

5. Bob Kraemer

Bob Kraemer New Member

Make sure your fuel tank is vented properly and the right size.
    To small of a vent will cause this problem also.
    I would think a 1/2in to 5/8in ID vent should be OK, but to be sure ask Bob Meyer what size the vent should be.
    Meyer Race Cars Phone # (619) 440-7701

Bob Kraemer

6. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Aaron; Take a look at the Romac,Oakey, or Newby cars at WSID next week. They are all rear tank, but you can see the type of bends I supply. I can do a custom part for you to go around the seat, then connect to the 90*. I use the blue outer, red inner silicone hose. This stuff is firmer than a teenagers d--k! I can do 1.25" or 1.5" tube with beads. This is FAR better than any rubber hose with springs.
    I can throw the stuff in my suitcase for the Nats. at Willowbank if you'll be there. I still can't believe they scheduled that race the same weekend as Pomona!

7. topalky511

topalky511 Member

hey bob
    i go to wayne newbys shop a fair bit and have seen his car i would love to have a rear tank but just cant fit it in my car the engine is very close to the cage, so close that i have to run an offset starter, i would meet you at the nats but i will be in pomona haha, stupid idea having them on the same weekend, could you send me your number im looking at getting a new car built and would be interested in getting some prices, thanks aaron

8. Bob Meyer

Bob Meyer Comp Eliminator

Aaron; it's...
    +619-440-7701 or
    Fax +619-447-1090