Fuel Flow Bench.....Turbocharged motor vs supercharged motor

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by srxspec, Feb 27, 2016.

1. srxspec

srxspec Member

Guys who are flowing fuel systems. I know it's very common on supercharged combinations. What (if any) are the differences in how you flow a turbocharged fuel system with boost sensor valves that increase fuel psi with boost psi? Just curious in the testing differences of flowing the fuel systems.

2. aj481x

aj481x Member

Most turbos are EFI and aren't flowed in the manner of a mechanical system.

3. crashly

crashly Member

like this ?

Attached Files:

4. crashly

crashly Member

5. crashly

crashly Member

turbo / procharged mfi system simular to mfi supercharged
    but
    the return fuel gets sent through a sensor valve , that gets restricted by a diaphragm / seat combination

usually the boost is sent ontop of the diaphragm to push down, restricting the return fuel to increase fuel pressure in relation to boost

many ways to customize this, but fuel flow is usually rpm independent

many different sensor valves
    2 that work well and flow good are
    Hilborn and Quillen motorsport units

6. boostedgt500

boostedgt500 Member

You need a much larger pump on a turbo EFI also.

7. srxspec

srxspec Member

I actually have a perfectly, good working, setup system right now. I am wondering if I can run my current system on a flow bench so I can learn characteristics to certain changes on the system, without wasting trips down the track.

[​IMG]

"

bandit496 likes this.
  8. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Awesome rig, but a flow bench will only give you numbers in return. As far as just changing one jet and seeing how it effects flow everywhere else, that's about all a flow bench is good for. It gives great hard data to base calculations for weather adjusted A/F ratios, but typically won't unlock any secrets a far as how the motor will react if you pull or add a given amount of fuel out of the system. Only one way to find that out. But if you've never had the whole system flow tested, it will give you a better idea of adjustments you can make and put a verified numeric value to a baseline.

srxspec likes this.
  9. srxspec

srxspec Member

Completely understand what you are saying. I am looking for those "numbers" or "trends". Right now my system is not setup "normal" from what most multi-turbo 6 cylinder tractor engines are, there are only several others that I know of setup how my system is setup. I run a rather high fuel pressure at low rpm, with rather high poppets for turning on the 2nd & 3rd stage nozzles. I have to drive onto the track with the fuel shut off pulled 3/8 of the way out to bypass some fuel back to the tank, this resulted in a burned piston last season as someone else had to drive the unit for a pass and forgot to push the fuel shutoff fully in before leaving the starting line. So I'd like to flow what I currently have, then drop the low rpm fuel pressure, drop poppets, etc and get the overall same tune, but without having to pull the fuel shutoff partially out while driving onto the track (to eliminate user error). :)

10. crashly

crashly Member

why don't you get a fuel system that reactes to boost and rpm rather than try have fuel shut off 3/8's off ...
    that's only guessing ..

11. srxspec

srxspec Member

My fuel system does react to boost and rpm. I build 300+ psi of fuel at 6500 rpm & 85 lbs of boost. I idle at about 15 psi, at 3000 rpm I have 50 lbs fuel pressure, at 4000 rpm I have 70 lbs of fuel pressure, at 4500 rpm when i let the clutch out and load the motor the rpm, boost, and fuel pressure all rise. I have 2 boost sensor valves.

12. crashly

crashly Member

u run 2 hilborn enrichment valves ?
    there are other valves that flow way more in non boost situations

is this what you need?
    sort of don't get what your asking from the original post