Fuel Filters?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by letitrip, Mar 15, 2009.

1. letitrip

letitrip New Member

Whats everybody running for fuel filters? or do they slow the flow?

2. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I dont run a filter but I always use a micro screen on my funnel..I have woundered the same thing about a filter if it has some restrictions on fuel flow..Dave
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

3. GregM784

GregM784 Member

I clean the tank, and filter the fuel going in. No need for filters in line. Check nozzles to make sure system is clean.

4. blown400

blown400 New Member

Im was told by jeff at fowlers not to run a filter but to filter the fuel 3 to 5 times before putting into car . Not sure if thats what you want to hear but i try to help if i can. Brian

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

WE use a large 30 micron inline System One filter which has one end attached to the fuel pump shutoff ontop of the pump. You can get the with -10 fittings. I have not seen a problem. The filter will flow 28 GPM. What is amazing is the crap we catch in the filter. We filter all the alcohol first going into the tank first but the inline filter still picks up crap. We clean it every other race weekend. The filter also acts as an acumulator to help reduce that initial pressure drop right at launch when all goes wide open.

6. topalky511

topalky511 Member

i just use the small cone shape filter that goes on the front of the barrel valve before you fit the main line, it is suprising the amount of stuff it picks up and we keep our fuel system very clean and filter the fuel also

7. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

what he said... EXACTLY

8. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

Ran a system 1 for a long time. Is almost negligible loss on the flow bench according to Sean at Davenports. No matter how careful one is something will get into the tank sooner or later. Why hurt of lose an engine. My 2 cents.

9. B/AA813

B/AA813 New Member

fuel filter

i also use the small cone screen that slips into the barrel valve; after the
    weekend it has trapped some small particles that i shurely dont want to
    have in the nozzles.
    If the system is tuned with (including) the screen i can not see any disadvantage using these.
    In cases where the pump performance is on the edge it may be an issue.

regards

Bjoern

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

filter

It is highly recommended to run a filter. The small SAE conical filters have very small, if any effects on flow, and this comes from both Randy Anderson and Tom Conway to go along with what Davenport has been quoted on as well. Plugging a nozzle can be disastrous. Sometimes you can have debris from the tank go through the system, or some alky can set up, turning into 'jelly'....any number of the lines could start coming apart, sending rubber through the system, etc.

11. wildride boy

wildride boy Top Sportsman Racer

Some debris can enter into the tank by the vent (dragster) !
    does you guys use some type of air filter on the vent tube ?

Claude

12. B/AA813

B/AA813 New Member

vent filter

i use a dry sump pump inlet screen cone (usually epoxied to the oilpan outlets) pushed in the end of the hose that is connected to the tank vent
    port. Maybe not the smartest option but is has virtually no restriction to
    air flow but holds back debris that could harm the pump badly.

best regards

Bjoern

13. mbaker3

mbaker3 New Member

Will,
    As you know I am still new to this alcohol stuff. How does my alcohol turn into jelly?:eek:
    So far, I haven't seen any indication of this happening but maybe I need to be checking my drums more closely!!! or what ?????????

I hate it when there are new things happening that scare the crap out of me!;)

14. Flyingpig

Flyingpig Member

I wouldnt dream of going filterless. You can use the System 1 "oil" filters too. Just change the screen to the 30 micron. That will flow 30 gpm or more. Thats what I use on my semi. Diesel fuel is much less viscous than alcohol. I can run for months at a time before cleaning.

Does the wind blow where you race? Theres always something that could get in and foul your fuel system.

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

jelly

if alcohol is allowed to set up in the fuel system for prolonged periods of time, it will turn into a gel-type mush that can easily clog jets and nozzles in your fuel system. i have never heard of it being a problem while stored in a drum or jugs, mainly just in the fuel system. however, alcohol will readily take moisture when stored for prolonged periods in jugs or drums, especially in a vented fuel tank.

16. blown375

blown375 New Member

I use a large Kinsler "ultra monster mesh" http://kinsler.com/NewProducts/FilterFlier/PDF/KinslerFiltersLR.pdf
    inline fuel filter and catches a lot of small peices of dried out alcohol residue. I have pluged a port nozzle once before and I will never run without a filter again.

I also run a screen type gasket between my blower and injector even though that isn't "recomended" either but you wouldn't belive the leafs, pebles, garbage and huge chunk of blower belt that was sitting on top of the screen when I pulled the injector off this fall :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  17. 3-D

3-D Member

filter

when a filter is used just above the fuel pump, does all the "stuff" that gets trapped in the screen not go back through the fuel pump when the engine is shut off since it is mounted vertically?
    I was thinking of running the filter in the inlet at the K-valve (#8). Will this be enough? 110 pump on a 540 BBC with 8-71 superman.
    new to this blower stuff. just don't have much, if any, room between the outlet on the tank and the pump on my dragster. Tank behind the seat.

Thanks
    Curt

18. eli

eli Banned

No pennys or washers? :eek:

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

No the debris get embedded in the filter mesh. and doesn't drop back down that I can see.

20. d jackson

d jackson New Member

fuel filter

we use a waterman screened inline filter
    i was also sceptacel. until i sent it to fowler and ck. the flow with and without the screen
    the pressure drop was not enough to even worry about.
    just my 2 cents
    d jackson

just clean the screen after evertime out and clean the fuel from the system and blow a little marvel mystery oil through the system with air
    and drain the tank. leave the plug out and let it air dry

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009