front main bearing walking

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Pizza Joe, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Pizza Joe

Pizza Joe Member

We keep having a problem with the front main bearing moving around at the parting line, the bottem half walks forword and the top walks back and rubs on the crank throw. this is a new century block (bbc) blown alky with a roots and I do have a crank support, any thoughts?

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That would probably be caused by not having the correct amount of crush on the bearing when all is torqued down. You should mic the bearing hole and see if it is correct if not the you need a align hone of the main bearings.

3. Pizza Joe

Pizza Joe Member

bearing problem

It has done it since the block was new, but we have checked it and had it checked, it checks out ok,that is what we can't figure out

4. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Block problem

What is happening to the tangs on the bearing when it walks? Are they breaking off or bending?

Corey

5. overkill69

overkill69 Member

block

We have a KB olds with 2 studs on the front cap and run way less than normal crush on the bearings with no problems. 1471 roots with a crank support. I'm not sure what your problem could be. I thought we'd seen every main brg problem possible!!!lol.

6. Pizza Joe

Pizza Joe Member

bearing problems

it's the other side without the tangs

7. Comax Racing

Comax Racing Member

Bearing Issues

I'm just trying to picture what you are discribing. Those bearings must be twisting to the extreme if the tangs are staying engaged yet the other side is slipping out past the cap and hitting the crank. Something is thrusting the bearings in opposite directions, this has me wondering if the crank journal is tapered. It seems to me that to do what you discribe though, the taper would have to be so severe that you could damn near see it by eye.

What is your crank thrust clearance?
    Just throwing out ideas but have you considered trying to run it once without the crank support? I have never run one, so I have no experience with them, but is it possible if the support isn't made correctly its pulling on the crank funny?

Corey

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  8. Chi Town Brown

What does the bearing face look like when this happens?

9. Pizza Joe

Pizza Joe Member

the crank is ok, we check it out and had it checked.We thought about taking the suppot of to see what it does. thrust is .006 to.008. But the rear thrust looks great

10. Pizza Joe

Pizza Joe Member

The face of the bearing looks great, it just screws up the side of the bearing

11. Overthehill

Overthehill New Member

front main

We had a similar problem with the front main. Tried all that has been suggested,swaped crankshafts,problem went away.Don't know which crank you run,just food for thought. hope you find the problem.......overthehill

12. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Mine did the same with a New Century block and a lunati crank, dont know if it was the crank or block though. same with and without a support, roots blower.

13. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

To eliminate it as a possibility, I would check the crank endplay and then remove the front main cap, check endplay and than remove the upper main bearings and check the endplay. Could it be that the crank radius is touching the upper crank bearing starting all of this?

14. john348

john348 Top Alcohol

What does #2 main look like, is it squeezing it or moving babbit?
    Almost sounds like your crank is flexing from the tug of the blower and pivoting on #1 main

15. Pizza Joe

Pizza Joe Member

bearing problem

Other bearings look perfect

16. Andy C

Andy C Member

Front bearing

Had the same problem with BBC Aluminum block. we pined the front lower cap. Same as rods.... Problem solved.

17. Blownalky

Blownalky Top Sportsman

You know, just thinking out loud. I have a KB Olds block which is pretty much the same thing except it doesn't have the cross bolted front cap. Wondering if that could make a difference, like torque sequence on the four fasteners or the torque numbers itself? Maybe twisting the cap when torqued? The KB block does not have an issue like this that I know of. Was New Century called to see what they have to say?

18. Bennett

Bennett New Member

We are having this problem . Replaced the bearing twice in 10 hits.. Drilled and pinned #1 main cap yesterday. SO well see what happens this weekend??

How many passes are expected on a crankshaft? KB Olds roots 40 over ??

thanks

19. Force Fed

Force Fed Member

Have you tried narrowed main shells yet?

Alan

20. TOL

TOL Active Member

Any strange marks or coloration on the backsides of the bearing shells?