Frame Info

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Sledge, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Sledge

Sledge Poor

I guess I took it in the shorts and am trying to get out of this without a whole lot of extra pain$$$$$. I purchased a new, never ran RED that is supposed to be for TAD second hand. It was a year old. The individual that had it was in the process of building a TAD until circumstances forced him to sell it. Now, some of the welds don't go all the way around, some are just poor incomplete welds, the list goes on. The question is, take it back to the original manufacturer and ask him to make it right? Or find a shop to fix it so it will pass the 2.1 spec? I'm not going to run TAD but I need it to pass the 2.1 spec. Advice? I'm in NC!

2. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

It is not required that you have a certified heli-arc welder to weld the chassis.
    What is required is that it be a good weld. Just about any competent chassis builder could probably go over the car and either complete the welds or look at the questionable welds and reweld them unless they are so bad they require grinding and then rewelding. Also if you know someone who is a good heli-arc welder he could do the same. The thing is most chassis builders take pride in the finished weld on their cars and that they are clean and consistantant. You probably do not have as big a problem as you might think. However if the welds look bad and are incomplete you had better get your level and tape out and check all aspects of the chassis for engine alignment, wheelbase, frame spacing, and that the rearend and engine are set up in the car correctly. Don't know what kind of rearend you have but put a straight edge acccross the rearend housing ends parallel to the ground and check the measurement between the straight edges front and rear. It should be the same.

3. Sledge

Sledge Poor

Thank you NitroHawk. I don't want to talk crap but the builder who fabricated and built the frame is known on this site. The question is. Someone has a brand new frame with rear end installed (never ran) and sells it to you. The craftsmanship is shody, take it to the original builder and hope his pride in craftsmanship corrects the problem or suck it up and fork out 1000's more to correct it. If you want to know specifics PM me....thanks for the input!