Four wide??

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dave Germain, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I was just watching the qualifying show from Houston. Did I hear Paul Page right? PRO voted 61-3 against four wide? I think this illustrates a very important point that has been forgotten by track operators and sanctioning bodies so many times.
    Without racers there is NO racing.
    It would be like staging a concert and not having any bands show up. Race promoters, track operators, and sanctioning bodies have taken the racers for granted for so long. Here is another group that was forgotten-the sponsors. If I had a pro car out there I wouldn't want my business name or logo lost in a four wide crowd.
    I don't want to come off here as another whining alcohol racer but I hope the NHRA sees this as what it is-a warning to them that the racers want to be considered as partners here. There are five groups in this game. The spectators, the track operators, the sponsors, the sanctioning body and the racers. All five have a horse in this race and apparently one of them has spoken and I bet they didn't vote without considering their sponsors also. Dave Germain

2. blown375

blown375 New Member

I agree Dave !
    From a spectator standpoint , I think its cool to see a 4 wide exhibition pass every now and then but... an entire 4 wide race is no fun !

Maybe Bruton Smith should hold some 1 lap nascar races at his nascar tracks!

They are talking about doing the 4 wide crap at Las Vegas as well ,the best way to get rid of this nonsense is - DON'T SUPPORT IT!!!! .... No cars , No spectators , No sponsors = no more 4 wide

3. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

i think it was probley something to see and hear one time but i wasnt a fan of it i couldnt tell who was doing what just didnt like it

4. mark6052

mark6052 Member

maybe if I had a 50" tv screen It would have been easier to watch. 4sec to watch 4 cars :eek: my eyes still hurt. nobody wathes ALL of the stockcars on the track. just the front 2-3. As a fan and a racer NO thank you.

5. Speedude

Speedude Speed Demon

Pro's vote matters little, they can't boycott. Sponsors wouldn't let them.

6. whosyrdady

whosyrdady Super Comp

4 Wide

Well Ive got a 50" Plasma TV, high def and all the bells and wistles, 4 wide still wasnt very exciting. In all reality This style of racing isnt very attrctive to the spectator. IMO. Alot fewer runs to watch. Imagine if they all ran good with no oil downs. The whole thing could be over in no time. Would be neet for exibition but not for competition. Kevin

7. TAD529

TAD529 Member

Nhra & Money Talks

The PRO organization voted 61 to 3 against it. Bruton Smith said I've done a lot for the NHRA I'll take my money elseware.They go to Vegas( Bruton's track also) and the NHRA must have talked to the drivers and owners and said we can't lose this man with his money.Now they vote for it. THE GOLDEN RULE "He who has the gold makes the rules". Who said the NHRA can't be bought.Just one persons opinion I could be wrong

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  8. HerntDawg

HerntDawg New Member

Just because the "racer" doesn't like it does not mean it is not good. Four wide can be improved but should not be excluded.

9. blown375

blown375 New Member

Well, if he takes his money elseware but still doesn't get drivers and cars then what... Buy his own cars and pay people to drive them ?

Somebody needs to stand up and tell Bruton Smith "YOUR IDEA SUCKS "!

10. Eric Strandberg

Eric Strandberg New Member

Why don't they run the .90 classes four wide instead?
    What would be the fan reaction to sixty four throttle delay cars going at it side by side by side by side?
    Maybe fan revolt?
    Or getting it over twice as fast?(..to have more time for the alky classes).

11. Tim5636sc

Tim5636sc New Member

Good Luck getting the 90 percent of the people who attend drag races who don't give two sh#ts about 'tradition' or the integrity of the sport to 'boycott' going to drag races. As long as they show up, NHRA will continue to promote it.

It might suck to us, but we stopped mattering a VERY LONG TIME AGO....

12. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

Defending the .90's

Woah... hold on here... as a fan, I love Super Comp! It's the only time I get to take a piss break and grab a burger!

So looking forward to what Unkle Frankie can put down in cool October this year at the newly surfaced Grove... :>)

Chris Saulnier
    Gray, Maine

13. blown375

blown375 New Member

I think NHRA should tell Bruton Smith "NO 4 WIDE it's not safe and the majority don't like it! " If he bitches about it, than NHRA should tell him "shut up or good bye" and take the national event to another track ! With the money that Bruton has invested, he needs NHRA more than the NHRA needs him! Let Bruton see how much TV coverage he gets with Zmax and The Strip in Vegas being IHRA or outlaw tracks.

14. Creech

Creech Member

4 wide

4 wide would be better if it was sudden death. 16 to 4 to 1.

15. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

Hmmm

Ya. And they could have 1 race on saturday and another on sunday....wait a minute...someone already does that...oh ya...never mind...

16. LeWhite

LeWhite BB/Alt

It's good to watch some stoopid s..t on TV every now and then. Just like COPS.

17. Creech

Creech Member

I dont think we've seen stuped yet. Wait till 4 pro stock drivers decide they want to stage last.

18. Darren Smith

Darren Smith New Member

If you read the Ron Capps editorial on Comp Plus, the agreement PRO had with NHRA to allow another 4 wide race in Charlotte was to NOT convert Vegas to 4-wide! It won't happen!

19. Speedude

Speedude Speed Demon

LOL, you don't know Bruton very well.

20. Blown Chances

Blown Chances New Member

Winston Showdown?

How about 16 TFFC, 16 TFD in one class for $250,000. All racing 4 wide mixed together with the stagger start based off the record in each class. If its going to be a cluster f@#&, make it a good one.

4 rounds,

32 to 16 to 4 to 1

Hell, if they'd do it with alcohol too I'd go. Of course that would pay $3,500 to win if you are lucky. LOL!

Flash