Ford in Top Alcohol?

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Project Paladin, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Project Paladin

Project Paladin New Member

Maybe someone here can help me. Prior to the rule change, who ran a Ford based engine in Top Alcohol, and what was the basic combo? Did they run wedge or hemi heads and what type of block was used, A460 or aluminum. Thanks for the help.

2. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I believe it may have been the Jordon Bros back in the 1990's and Bob Devour was the crew chief. Other than that I don't recall exactly what parts they ran

Standard disclaimers apply.

3. pennance

pennance Member

does a Fontana fit your scope?

4. Project Paladin

I was able to do a quick google search and found some great info about the Jordon Brothers. Thanks

I thought there were some other guys running a 429/460 based engine in TAFC? I guess a Fontana would not be based around the BBF, right? I'm not sure.

5. ITS IN MY BLOOD

Walt Austin I believe had configured and worked up and built a Ford based Top Alcohol motor for a new funny car to make their return with to NHRA drag racing back in
    I think 2006 or 07,..

........But NHRA shot it Down,....and Walt gave the ol heave hoe to the big show.

:(

6. Project Paladin

Not only did the NHRA shoot it down, they changed the rules to kill any BBF in Top Alcohol. I was under the impression there were about 7 teams running a BBF in TAFC at the time. I was also told there's an ongoing lawsuit?

7. rb0804

rb0804 Active Member

Look up Mike Canter, I believe he has some inside knowledge on that. I believe someone used to run the shotgun Hemi? I know Ken Winward ran the 427 cammer stuff for quite awhile.

8. Hemi101

Hemi101 Member

Ford tafc

Greg Hunter out of Canada has raced a ford powed FC at the national event level and still ownes it I am sure of it. Try him if anybody knows its him.

9. rcparker

rcparker New Member

In the late 90's I believe, I saw and talked to a man on a funny car team that wasrunning a ford 429 hemi. If memory serves me correct the parts came from CandC motorsports. Been a few years but I know it was a ford.

10. Project Paladin

Thanks for the leads, I'll do some checking.

11. Dale H.

Dale H. Member

George Zadel and I ran a T/AD in Div.5 from 1993 to 2003 with a Ford engine with custom hemi cylinder heads and block that I manufactured.I put it on the backburner after the rule change came out saying that you couldn't have bore spacing wider than 4.84- (the Ford is 4.900) The Ford has some features that makes it a very good design for a race engine. I ended up going with a Arias/Miner Bros. engine currently.
    By the way, I have the patterns,fixtures,machining programs if someone wanted to make these again.

Dale Hill

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  12. Project Paladin

Mr Hill I sent you a pm. Thank you.

13. LEN COTTRELL

LEN COTTRELL Member

Pro Ford engines

Call Carroll Carter at C&C Automotive in Manassas, VA at 703-368-8440. He owns the forging for the blocks, heads, manifolds etc. and still makes and sells them (there are other markets than NHRA out there.
    Len Cottrell

14. LEN COTTRELL

LEN COTTRELL Member

Call Carroll at 703-368-7878 not the other number

See correct phone number

15. coyotedale

coyotedale Member

if memory serves correct, didn't Jeanie Booz drive a TAD that was based on the shotgun design,,, just a bit more refined like what the Jordan Bros ran?

16. jackattack

jackattack Member

The Walt Austin design is currently being run in Mustang Pro Mod out of Washington state,owned by Garret Richards,and its a beautiful piece,also very unique sounding!!

17. KeithDyer

KeithDyer Member

Drag Boat Motor

The Jordan TA/FC deal used the motors from their drag boat program, Alan Root / Ford Motorsports stuff.

And yes, the 4.900 deal was what got it shot down (official wording, I think).

Take care, K