fogging up

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by topalky511, Sep 28, 2004.

1. topalky511

topalky511 Member

hi guys
    i run an alky dragster and have a real bad problem fogging up the visor at night time, is there any sort of spray or wipe that can be used on the visor to help eliminate this, i have also herd of fresh air helmets were they are hooked to a suppy of air,or is there a special helmet that is made to stop this situation, can anyone help me with this at all, need to fix the problem its not real comfortable going this fast and not being able to see, thanks heaps guys for any help
    aaron hambridge

2. was R4K

was R4K Member

go see your local optometrist or eye glass store- there are too many products out there. (I run with my visor cracked to the first stop- used to run the fresh air from simpson bottle to helmet and crack it on high, but the weight finally over ruled that)

3. Brownman

Brownman New Member

clean your visor with dishwashing liquid. That's what the skin divers do and it works for us. Brownman and the FNG'S :D

4. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

i was having problems too... and i heard all kinds of BS answers as to how to keep a visor from fogging including:

spit on it
    lick it
    dish soap
    vinegar/water
    rainX
    cat crap (it's a product for goggles)
    and even peeing on it!!

...and i tried alot of them (but i won't say which ones!) and some of them work SOME of the time. but they all need to be re-applied and usually very frequently. then i heard of a thing called 'fog-city'.

it's a clear 'stick on' insert that you put on the inside of your visor. it creates a kind of buffer between your breath and the visor surface. you can't see it... and you CAN NOT MAKE IT FOG!! and it does not wear off... wipe off... etc. i looked all over for them and had trouble finding them locally... call good vibrations in california 1-800-576-7661... talk to jesse. they have them for almost every helmet.

5. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I take a piece of duct tape and seal from just below my eyes to the bottom of the eyeport. It shields the visor from your breath that is fogging it up. Its a trick Frank Hawley showed me.

6. Rapid Transit

Rapid Transit New Member

We have tried almost all of the above. Even some stuff from the military. (That worked pretty good, but can't get it anymore)
    What we have used for the last ?? years is cheap easy and effective.
    Take a very soft cloth (clean try not to use fabric softener) and a cheap bar of deodrant soap NOT facial or moisturizing kind. We usually use some we have picked up at a hotel.
    Take the cloth and rub DRY on the DRY bar of soap then buff the inside and the outside of the visor. You do have to do it at least once a night/day. But it works. I have thought about trying some sort of wax, I am sure that it is the wax/pariffin in the soap that keeps it from fogging.

7. Prospector

Prospector Member

Thought I'd chime in. Not a dragster answer, but the new air helmet from Impact! has the air ports positioned across the top of the visor, and simply cracking the air, eliminates all fog.

I used the Simpson f/c rx air helmet last year, and like the Impact better.

-Jay Mageau

8. Mile Hi Express TAFC

Mile Hi Express TAFC Alcohol Funny Car

Ya the liners from good vibrations i heard were good. Theyre like 15-18 bucks, depending on what helmet you use, and they say theyre good for the life of the visor. You can see them at www.dragparts.com

""The Fog City Fog Shield is not a face shield but a durable insert of 7mm film that is designed to work with the helmet face shield. This crystal clear film possesses exceptional anti-fog capacities. It is a patented material that is engineered to resist condensation and spontaneously sheets moisture away from its surface. Potent anti-fog properties literally shield against fog; this protection is lasting and does not erode.

What makes the Fog Shield better than other anti-fog products?

The fog shield is unique: because it is not a fluid, wax, spray or chemical, it does not require constant reapplication. It does not break down like unwieldy electrical devices, and is not excessively costly. It does not smear, wipe off, wear out, or have a toxic odor.

The Fog City Shield is scratch resistant and durable. When properly installed and maintained, the Shield retains the full strength of its fog-fighting properties indefinitely and can perform for the life of your face shield.""

9. DQUES

DQUES Member

Check out the fog city I found on ebay # 7928198575 . $ 4.95 plus 2.50 shipping in the U.S. , not a bad deal . You might also want to check your local motorcycle dealer for this also .

10. altered boy

altered boy Outlaw Altered

my local cycle shop had the visors but only for most typical bike helmets (hjc, arai, etc). if you are looking for one to fit a simpson helmet (at least any simpson with a "nose relief" in the visor) you'll probably end up back at good vibes. they were the only ones i found that had a simpson bandit/rx friendly shield... hope it helps.

11. topalky511

topalky511 Member

hey guys thanks for all the help sounds like fog city is definately the way to go i ordered one online from good vibrations yesterday, once again thanks heaps
    aaron

12. JLibby AFC142

JLibby AFC142 double throw-down

I had the same problems with my glasses and searched and tried tons of different things.
    Then I found this stuff called "Klear View".
    All you do is just spay it on and wipe it off.
    You can breathe as hard as you want on them and they wont fog. I dont have my bottle with me so I dont know where it comes from. It did not work on my visor though.

13. JLibby AFC142

JLibby AFC142 double throw-down