Flameproof paint

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by KDavidson, May 22, 2009.

1. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

What is the approved flameproof paint now?

Just spoke with Sean at TPR2 and they are no longer the approved coating.

Keith

2. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

tpr

what??????????????????

3. Ro Yale

Ro Yale Member

Please tell me this ain't so!!!!!!

4. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

..................I sure hope they're mistaken. If I have to paint the under side of my F/C body again because of a rule change I'll probably have a nervous breakdown:mad:

5. KDavidson

KDavidson Member

Well guys, I went to purchase the paint and they would not sell it to me. Sean said that NHRA had mandated a different formula and that they are/were working on it. But as of right now their original product is no longer NHRA accepted. Now I don't know if NHRA will "grandfather" all the guys in that have already used it. I'd like to put something on the inside of my old resin filled 'glass body before trying to run 85%

Keith

6. Dave Germain

Dave Germain New Member

I just finished painting mine- what is going on? Six hundred and fifty bucks and the NHRA changed their minds? Are they actually trying to eliminate the less financially well off racers? I got an idea for them- Just bring a effing CPA to the track- he can check my books and if there is enough money in my accounts I will pass tech. In fact the CPA could decide the outcome of every event on paper before even starting the car. Dave Germain

7. Randy G.

Randy G. Top Alcohol

I wont say who but one of the racers told me they tested the paint on a piece of carbon fiber. After letting it set up for a couple days he hit it with a torch and it sat there and burned unlike how it performed on TV when the rep and John Medlen tried to light a sample with a torch but it would not burn. I don't know if it's true because I never tried it...maybe he was "blowing smoke?"

I'm heading to the shop tomorrow. I might just give it a go on a piece of carbon just to see what happens.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  8. Nathan Sitko - 625 TAD/TAFC

I got to thinking, just a little side note- so let's take a look at the scorecard here...

In the past couple years we have:

-Chassis inspection is now DOUBLE
    -Entrance fees are up
    -Parts and fuel are more expensive
    -Installed new 7 (or 6) point seat belts
    -put a stupid red arrow on the front of the car
    -roll cage shroud
    -foam seat insert
    -lateral head padding
    -rear body release
    -fire paint (for those curious, $959.66 Canadian by the time it was at my door)

Did I miss anything?

And then the best part - when is the last time anyone remembers the divisional or national event payouts going up any significant amount?

Good thing all us drag racers are self-made millionaires...:rolleyes:

9. Bill Naves

Bill Naves Member

paint

:Dso are drug addicts..Another SFI intervention and I might look for a clinic!

10. RickB

RickB New Member

TPR2 Temprotex is still SFI complaint

Hi Keith, et al,

This is Rick from TPR2. There has been no change to The Temprotex formula nor any NHRA/SFI change in rules that we have heard. Also, there is no Sean at TPR2.

Are you sure you didn't talk to one of the old paint suppliers?

I am the race contact. Please feel free to contact me directly whenever rumors surface.

Also, thanks to Fred Hagen for the heads up..

Also, feel free to try to torch the coating on scrap material..wood, fiberglass, Cfiber..It will swell up a black char which you can scrap off, then coat. If the composite is lighting, it means you haven't put two coats as required by NHRA. Hope this helps..

Rick

11. Ro Yale

Ro Yale Member

Thank you Rick for clearing this up...I was dreading removing the coating and recoating. Funny how a little info gets twisted around or not the proper information to begin with.

12. Hairy

Hairy New Member

Rick, just finishing a new AA/Fuel Altered, below the Alum work has been coated with TPR2, now have been told we need to coat the small area above alum surround. Can I purchase a quart of the TPR2, if so where? Harry Burkholder.

13. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

You're responding to a 9 year old thread. Rick could be long gone . I don't know.