Fire Suit

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by WJ Birmingham, Feb 15, 2008.

1. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Ok.

To be honest, I don't even know what I need, as I mainly run at outlaw tracks. Up until now, when it came to fire protection I'll admit my choices have been less then optimal.

It's time to step up to the plate (I have a good Simpson helmet), and buy a good suit to go along with it.

I'm 6'5", 240 Lbs.

Who's suit would you guys recommend and why? Simpson, Taylor, Stroud, etc?

I know there's some new lighter weight suits available... Are they a significant difference?

Thanks....

2. jim phillips

jim phillips ta/fc

you interested in a used one we are the same size i have a -20 two piece suit simpson blue with white stripes never been on fire

3. underby6

underby6 Active Member

I have a Phoenix -15 one piece, and I'd have to say it's the nicest one I've seen. They have a sateen material available that's very light and thin. You can check them out at www.phoenixcustomapparel.com.

Brandon

4. blown375

blown375 New Member

I have a sfi20 stroud ,great people to deal with ,they recert everything they make!

I use to have all simpson stuff but when Simpson got sold the company will not recert anything, so when your $1000+ fire suit expires you can use it for a shop rag.

5. G FORCE JUNKIE

G FORCE JUNKIE New Member

I agree with Brandon, I have a Phoenix SFI 20 ( only needed the 15 but it's only 6 onces heavier) I think it's the nicest suit out there plus Chris and the gang are great to deal with!! After seing Tony Pedrigon last week at Pamona I bet he wishes he had a SFI 600!! Besides if your going to skimp, skimp on the motor parts, you can always fix a broke head as long as it's not the one on your shoulders!!

Kent

6. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

I have to disagree with you....I just sent my simpson off to get it recert. and just got it back...they didn't charge me one dime do do this...they even paid the shipping back to me, they treated me like KING;) If I was you and need a fire suit I would buy Jim Phillips fire suit...love my simpson..dave Lowe
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

7. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Yeah, I saw that Bill Simpson sold "Simpson" and started "Impact".

Wasn't quite sure why that happened.

So Simpson won't re-cert their suits anymore???

Jim, if that is indeed the case I'm sorry but I'll have to pass on your suit.

Looks like Dave posted at the same time I did...

So, we have one who says they will re-cert, and another who says they won't.

8. blown375

blown375 New Member

Hey Dave,(secondwind) mabe I am wrong at the present time and sorry if I am, but If they do recert there products then they have changed their policy from two years ago when I bought my new fire suit ,belts ,boots and gloves.
    Two years ago simpson told me that they would not even recert seatbelts! At that time I had all Simpson safety gear and wound up replacing all of it. Hopefully for you they don't change there mind again!:cool:

9. oldskooldigger

WJ,
    I had to retire my -20 RJS suit (5) years ago. Bought a new one from them......difference between old heavy suit and new light one is like day and night. Just rec'd the new one back from re-cert, no problem.

10. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

What about Bill Simpson's new company, Impact Racing?

11. GFORCE

GFORCE New Member

Impact

Bill,
    There Great!But,VERY Expensive!
    As far as Simpson,not Certing?Its that they will Not Re-Cert a -20 back to a -20.A -20 will come back a -15???
    Now,I have a Awesome Racewear Suit-20,Heavy it is!But,ask anyone thats been Involed in a GOOD WEENIE Roast?They will tell you get the HEAVYEST Suit on the Market.
    I would think a Good -15 Suit for your Application,would be FINE?
    Later
    G :cool:

12. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

I don't want to take a chance on a -15.

I don't remember the racer, but I remember the accident clearly at Gateway International.

A nitrous fast street car was staged and ready to go.

The pro tree dropped, and both cars left. The nitrous car had a clutch explode about 2 feet off the line. It severed the nitrous and fuel lines, and a horrible fire erupted immediately.

The fire inside of the car was so bad that it melted the windshield within seconds. Gateway's crew stood around looking for hot dogs to roast while this guy was burnt alive.

I don't ever want to be in the position where if something bad was to happen that they will look back and say "If he had only spent a few dollars more on a better fire suit.".

I want the best protection I can get.

13. lucky2wd

lucky2wd Member

I'm not real sure,but it seems that after Dale Earnhart's death Simpson sold the company..........

14. secondwindracing

secondwindracing top alcohol

hey blown 375...you were rite 2 or so years ago the had problems...I sent my suite back last year around this time and they recert.it for me..and the best thing about the whole deal was it was free:D..Dave Lowe
    www.myspace.com/daveloweswr

15. blownapex

blownapex Member

firesuit

i would call al at gateway thats wear your going to
    have a problem
    i think the rule books states blown alcohol is a 20 fire suit
    not a 15
    nitrous guys on gas use 15
    i bought a 20 but it took forever to get the salesman lost my order
    order it directly from them no middle person
    ill give you als phone # if you call me
    duane 618-781-4703

16. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Impact is GREAT! When confronted with the new "Simpson" or the real (Simpson) Impact, we went with Bill Simpson. Tony's glad he did,too. No damage or burns to his legs or knees and he wears the light weight stuff which I have also. It's not near as heavy and it protects better. My old Simpson boots 3.3-20 are very cumbersome next to my new Impact boots which are half the weight and half as thick and rated better than the old ones. Besides--Bill Simpson loves cats.

17. TOL

TOL Active Member

??...

Thanks.

18. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

If you're talking Al the fat man... I think I'll pass on calling him. He's a joke of a tech inspector.

I've already stated I want a /20, not a /15.

19. WJ Birmingham

WJ Birmingham New Member

Tony = Tony who? Schumacher? Pedregon?

I was talking to Shannon Beal about this the other day, and he said the heavyweight versus lightweight was like comparing a Parka to a Sweater. Is this analogy correct?

As for cats... Well, they're best strangled and dumped. Sorry peta.

20. bobbyblue359

bobbyblue359 New Member

Tony Pedregon at the Winters. Have you ever heard of carbonex? Had the guys at Impact put a piece of it over my hand and then put a torch to it for fifteen seconds-------it was barely getting warm on my side! I bought some of the stuff to do welding with inside boats(what I do for a living), it's the best thing since sliced bread! The weight of something isn't important---it's how it reflects or absorbs heat energy. The new stuff is less than half the weight, but protects much better. Do you want the space shuttle to weigh more or protect better. Had a guy in Florida take a piece of the space shuttle tile and heat it until glowing white hot: he had me wait 10 seconds and then pick it up with my bare hand. It was barely warm but still glowing red on the inside. No heat transfer whatever. That's what you want in a suit. Light, strong, and protection to the max. We live in a constantly changing world but have to keep up with it. My grandmother told me it couldn't get any better than what she had seen in her lifetime; I now know better---it can't get any better than this. My kids will be laughing at me in no time the way things are going. You're right though:go with the best, not the cheapest. It's your fingers, toes, and gonads on the line. Keep 'em safe and secure. Good luck!