Finally a good dampener for the A-fuel motor

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by Dale Finch, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

I recieved this from Automan a week or so ago by email. Haven't seen it posted anywhere else so I am sharing it. It is GOOD NEWS!!! I am posting it. Hope that is OK Will.
    thank you
    Dale

Vibratech TVD, (Torsinal Vibration Dampening), is ready to start manufacturing a solution to our crank breakage issues. I have designed a new Fluid Damper, ( extremely viscous silicone fluid) that is specifically designed for the A/Fuel or Pro Fuel motor. This new damper will give approximately 10 years of service without having to rebuild it. This damper eliminates the steel hub spacer that I manufacture, and or the aluminum RCD spacer, that adapts the ATI damper to the RCD blower hub. This new damper bolts directly to the RCD blower hub without any adapters. The front side of this new damper is recessed to accept the standard RCD starter jaw. By recessing the started jaw into the center of the damper has allowed for a thicker damper to give increased dampening. This damper is completely sealed for life, and is SFI compliant.

I started this goal in October of 2009, to design a damper to solve the issues of short crank life caused by high compression, and 94% Nitro mixtures. This damper is heaver then the ATI unit, but this extra weight was needed to solve the crank breakage issues that we now have.

Lyn Livermore, my contact at Vibratech TVD has now asked me to send out an e-mail to all of my customers asking you to e-mail a purchase order directly to him for the number of dampers you may need. This damper is priced competitively to the ATI unit that is in use today.

You will be able to buy directly from Vibratech TVD, as I felt we all needed a solution to the short crank life, without the middle man mark up.

Your existing 2.425 long 12 point bolts will bolt this damper to the RCD hub. The same .505 ID X 1.250 X .031 thick stainless washers I supply with my steel spacer, can be used to properly space the starter mount plate out for proper starter jaw engagement with the starter.

This new damper will also work with a 3/8" or 1/2" thick crank washer, and a grade 9 crank bolt.

Lynn Livermore's e-mail address is: lynn.livermore@vibratechtvd.com

Please share this news/information to all in your sphere of A/Fuel friends, or customers.

If you have any questions or comments, please call or e-mail me directly.

Bob "Automan" Ottow
    Automan Technologies
    362 Sacramento street
    Auburn, CA 95603
    530-885-8815 Shop
    530-308-8827 Cell
    530-885-8815 Fax

2. TAD1128

TAD1128 Member

Hi,
    I am wondering if this set-up might be available for a crank shaft with a spline front hub. Here in Lebanon Valley on my second Qualifying pass, the car started to vibrate crazy on me so i clicked it after hearing bad noises to save the engine. The bolts on the front sheared off and tore up the aluminum spacers. Talking to Arthur, we were going to machine some out of steel, but if this solution is going to work, we may be interested.

Thanks,
    Karen Stalba

3. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

Damper status?

Was this damper ever producted and sold? If so, did anyone try using it, and what was the result? I didn't see anything about it on Automan's website recently, and as of today, his website is down.

Thanks
    Chris

4. Dale Finch

Dale Finch Member

I see Bob's facebook page up and I did see the dampner at SEMA last year. Did you try Lynn's email at the bottom of the press release?

5. Sheppard racing

Sheppard racing New Member

Check the tech section, I put a Fluidampr on twin turbo set-up. Bolted it directly to the splined hub with the same bolts that I used for the pulley. Used to run a blower. A 526 TFX HEMI on alky. Now I don't know about an A fuel engine.

6. Cdn526

Cdn526 Member

damper

I tried Lynn's email link and left her a question regarding if they had built & sold any, and to whom.
    No response to date.
    Hmm.....

7. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

Dead deal

I called and spoke with Bob Ottow (Automan) about the balancers. He said that they never did produce them. He got some prototype units that he tested, and they had issues. Bob provided them with solutions to the issues, but they didn't agree with his assessment of the problem, so the whole thing ended up getting dropped.

So it's pretty much just the ATI Superdamper.

8. Sheppard racing

I might not be a big time Alky racer, but I did months of research and tech on this subject. If no one wants to know, then it's your loss.

9. crdafoe

crdafoe Member

I'm certainly interested to know. Please post up your findings if you care to share.

Thanks
    Chris

10. Sheppard racing

Send me an email address, I will send pics. I worked with Fluidampr to come up with a common balancer that was machined to replace the crank pulley on a blown motor for my twin turbo conversion. Unbolt the pulley and bolt on the balancer.