Ferre Set to Make Top Alcohol Dragster Debut

Discussion in 'Alcohol Racing News' started by News Editor, Jul 31, 2014.

1. News Editor

News Editor Administrator

Ferre Set to Make Top Alcohol Dragster Debut

Cameron Ferre is looking forward to reaching another landmark in his racing career. At this weekend’s O’Reilly NHRA Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways in Seattle, the 29-year-old California State University Fullerton graduate will be competing in the Top Alcohol Dragster category for the first time.

Ferre has had success throughout his ascension up the world’s fastest-accelerating motorsport from the NHRA Summit Racing Jr. Drag Racing League, where he was the 2002 Western Conference Finals champion, through the NHRA Lucas Oil categories in which he captured a victory at the 2012 Auto Club NHRA Finals in Super Comp. Ferre, who finished in the quarterfinals of Super Comp at last weekend’s NHRA Sonoma Nationals, hopes to carry that forward in his debut behind the wheel of Larry Miersch’s nitro-burning A/Fuel dragster.

Ferre made three runs in the dragster at Auto Club Famoso Raceway to upgrade his competition license. His last attempt was a 5.60-second, 262-mph pass.

“I’m pretty stoked,” said Ferre. “I can’t wait. That thing is a kick in the pants. It picks up and trucks on the back-half.”

The Huntington Beach, Calif., resident began talks with Miersch about driving long ago and received the chance to learn the mechanical side of the car prior to buckling into the cockpit. Miersch gained additional confidence in Ferre’s ability to wheel his 5.2-second, 270-mph dragster last season when he watched him drive nitro veteran Twig Zeigler’s 5.7-second Nostalgia Funny Car.

“I’ve been talking to Larry about it for a long time and learning the ropes by working with him,” said Ferre. “After seeing me driving the Nostalgia Funny Car last year, he decided it was time. I was able to put the sponsorship together to get my license and do a couple races, so here we are.”

The effort is supported by Nitrohead.com, JBS Ltd., Club Ted, and Popeye Energy Drink.

“We’re set for Seattle and potentially beyond,” said Ferre. “I hope to continue to try to put something together for Las Vegas and Pomona at the end of this year and work on the 2015 season. I also have a new Top Dragster coming out this year. The ultimate goal is to drive in Top Fuel one day. I’m slowly progressing, working hard, paying my dues, and seeing what can happen.”