Exhaust valves

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by alkyholic, May 23, 2005.

1. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

Hey guys, whats the take on using inconel ex valves on old brad motor? about 65 grams more per valve but shifting at about 8500 for now. Will have good springs and strong pushrods.

I know this is not the ideal set up but with that rpm and doing mostly circuit racing, do I need to spend 600+ on ti valves?

Roots hh, 11.2 comp, hilborn -4.

2. funnycarguy 230

I was told that the inconel valve withstand more heat and do not warp as quickly as the std stainless valve. They have less failure due to heat I have seen the heads pulled off the valve because it ran so hot. Hope this helps

3. nitrohawk

nitrohawk New Member

The inconel valves are better in every way except weight. Tit. exhaust valves will not stand temps above 1200 degrees without failing. If you can stand the extra weight they are a good choice.

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

We used inconnel exhaust valves in our nitrous promod motor to stop valve droop from heat. They worked great. Top Fuels use them also

5. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

Thanks for the responses. I was told that valve train stability not withstanding that they will abuse the valve seats. Any of you seen this occur? Don't want to save some money on valves and have to replace the valve seats constantly.

6. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Don't understand that statement. A Ti drooping exhaust valve will hit the seat on one side and abuse it. Why should a none drooping inconnel valve hitting the seat square be a problem. Ti is just as hard as inconnel.

We never saw any problems but then we only drove it a 1/4 mile at a time (lol)

7. alkyholic

alkyholic Jr. Dragster

Thanks Mike, I didn't quite understand the reasoning behind it so that's why I thought I'd ask here.