Electric high speed ???

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by blown375, Dec 10, 2008.

1. blown375

blown375 New Member

Can you use a NOS fuel solenoid as a electric high speed on a blown alcohol car ?

2. jonimus333

jonimus333 New Member

hy speed

Don't know about the NOS thing, but years ago I used elec. Hy-speeds from Rons Fuel inj. Worked good. Good luck Don

3. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Nope because the magnet does not generate enough force to open the plunger against the pressures that you are using in your alcohol fuel system. You can use a nitrous solenoid or a special NOS alcohol solenoid with a bigger coil on it.

4. 69outlaw

69outlaw New Member

We run Nitro/alcohol solenoids with a MSD 5 stage delay box as a timer. Works real well. A buddy of mine makes a block to screw the solenoids into. You use enderle bypass pills. They screw in just like in the barrle valve. We y the main line to the barrel valve. One side to the barrel valve and the other to the hi speed block. Then run the returns from the solenoids to the fuel cell.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

69Outlaw...you probably have the same unit as us. Ours was made by John Scialpi (I hope I spelled that right). It works great. You can get them made with 3 or 4 solenoids. I have contact info if anyone is interested. As a note you cannot use them in NHRA TA/FC classes because they are electrically controlled.

6. RBS

RBS Authorized Merchant

Scialpi Management

HERE ARE SOME PICS OF THE SCIALPI MANAGEMENT http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=228866&InfoID=3921
    http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=228862&InfoID=3921
    BOB YOU CAN CHECK WITH LONNIE HOODE ON THE TYPE THAT 69 OUTLAW IS REFFEREING TO AS HE USES SOME OF THAT TYPE OF SET UPS IN SOME OF HIS TUNING APPLICATIONS. 508-776-4898 IF YOU NEED A SET UP SIMILAR TO 69 OUTLAWS WE HAVE ONE http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Store_Detail.cfm?ID=221933&InfoID=3921

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

This John Scialpi fuel management system that RBS now sells works great on our car. I have never had a problem with it.

8. JRB

JRB Guest

As JR stated, we use the Scialpi unit on 4 or 5 cars we tune. Works bad ass, and it easy to mount and replace/change jets.

Ours are controlled with a dedenbear controller. Heres a link to the box. It works KILLER and is really idiot proof. http://www.dedenbear.com/noc1txt.htm

Contact Lonnie or I for any questions. www.LHPRacing.com

9. JP

JP Member

Also Electrimotion has a 4 selenoid unit for about $ 975 you can look it up at theire web site.

10. blwnaway

blwnaway Member

We used them for years with no problems....got lucky I guess.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The problem is with regular fuel solenoids is also the orifice in the solenoid is too small. The testing I did shows that a standard NOS fuel solenoid will not open when the fuel pressures are high and at some medium pressures it might or might not open. The problem is most racers would not know if the solenoid did or did not open and performance will suffer. The only way you would know if it opened or not would be to have a fuel flow sensor on the data logger or see the slight change in fuel pressure (which is hard).

12. Eric David Bru

[​IMG]

PN 16060

EDB

13. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Thats the one. Thanks Eric. We use four of those.

14. Eric David Bru

This should also work:
    Normally closed:
    [​IMG]
    PN 16055NOS
    EDB

15. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

We use the old school AFT fuel mangement with timers and not valves. It works everytime without fail. I don't like the solenoid versions because of the fear of a solenoid not working.

16. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

My understanding was that the timer told the solenoid when to activate. After reading your comments,(no solenoid) how does it work?:confused:

17. Alkydrag

Alkydrag Sr. Dragster

After reading my quote, it seems to be a little misleading. The timer is activated off a throttle switch. The timer opens the jet through an air operated actuator. In between the timer and actuator is a "NOT" valve. A NOT valve has 3 ports. A supply (1), an output (3) and a pilot (2). When air is applied to the supply, port 1, it becomes an output at port 3. When air is applied to the pilot, port 2, it shuts off the output and downstream air is exhausted. Output air is applied to an actuator which opens the jet. The pilot is operated from another timer. We use the 2nd timer to close one jet and open another.I hope this clears it up.

18. SoDak

SoDak Active Member

Thanks AlkyDrag

Ron's Fuel Injection gets $171 for there electric valve with pill holder.
    And $55 for the solenoid only.
    I don't use electronics, but have been contemplating it, and just got these prices from Ron's.

19. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

That Ron's pill holder is neat but it only uses Ron's unique type jets. It also costs a lot because you can change jets without taking off the fuel line but you don't change the size of the high speed that much so is it worth it.

20. nitrowannabe

nitrowannabe Member

Alky Drag
    Do you have the Clippard valves on your old school AFT ? Thanks.