egt

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by bill, Jul 17, 2013.

1. bill

bill Member

whats a safe egt to run and the maxim

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The safe EGT in a quarter mile is a max of 1050*
    In the eighth you can go 1100*. As far as the max that is hard to say because it is dependent on so many things. The best thing is to take the EGT to 1000* then read the plugs and bAlance the port nozzles until all plugs read the same then take it to a 50% or 75% cadmium burn off

3. bill

bill Member

egts

mine are reading from 900 to 1100 but i have to check to see if all my probes are in the same dept before i start making any adjusting

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It is more important to read plugs than to use EGTs. To many things make EGTs incorrectly read from cylinder to cylinder. Have you read my sparkplug reading article

5. bill

bill Member

where do i go to get that

6. Jason Bunker

Jason Bunker Member

7. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Thanks Jason. Bill if after you read it if you have any questions then let me know

8. Kamikaze85

Kamikaze85 Member

Dead link

Hi,
    I am having trouble accessing that article? Is the link still valid?

9. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

I just tried it by clicking on the link and it worked great.

10. underby6

underby6 Active Member

Def. pay the utmost attention to the plugs, I have egt's reading over 1200 regularly. The plugs will show 85-90% burn and I've had the same 8 pistons in all year. If we ever got really nuts about weight, the egt probes would be the first things to go...plus they're expensive as hell!

Brandon Booher
    NHRA TAD #323
    Torque MGMT. - Owner

11. altered1

altered1 Member

Worked for me, thanks Mike I have learned a lot from you as well as others on this site and my hats off to you, I used to be stubborn as hell but now days I listen to those that have done it been there threw the messed up parts away, thanks for saving me money I now spend that extra money on more important stuff, more race car parts.

12. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Amen.. Plugs and bearings are the real story tellers.

EGT's are good for telling you if you have an ignition misfire or a dead hole all together, but temps are always kind of an arbitrary reading to the combination. I've seen a ton of different combo's data, and I've seen anywhere from 950 in the lights to 1400 in the lights with similar looking plugs, bearings and results. 1250 might be normal on one combo, but would melt the pistons out of another.

13. mark6052

mark6052 Member

spark plugs

For my 6.50 program I use the NGK b9es plugs, how do they read compared to a more serious plug the tafc cars run? I understand the ngk is a softer metal. plus it has a full length ground strap. Also I run a mallory 4 instead of a msd44 mag.

14. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The NGK B9ES reads the same as the NGK 6061 and the NGK R5672a. If I was you I would switch to the B10ES just to make sure the center electrode stays cool. It will not change the reading of the plug because you don't read the center electrode. If you are not pushing the motor and running the 6.50 program you don't need the shorter ground strap of the 6061.

15. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

One thing about EGT readings I see nobody comparing is, where the EGT is located in the header-- what depth the probe is protruding into the pipe, distance from the header flange -- etc etc

I can tell you on a Blown Nitro car a difference of 2 inches in location from the flange can give you a 200 degree varation on what a guy might think is normal by looking at plugs , bearings , valve adjustment , etc

I am not disputing any of the info given as I am sure from my own experiences it is solid---
    But if you are going to accuse the data recorder of lying to ya ----- that's another thread ! :cool:
    Just don't throw the baby out with the bathwater !

16. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Mark even if you position all the probes in exactly the same position they may or may not be correct. I have seen them all in the same position and somebody balance all the EGTs so they are within 50 degrees of each other BUT the plugs show they are way out of balance. I have also seem EGTs and plug readings agree with each other. The thing is that the plug is what is happening within the cylinder and the EGT is happening outside of the cylinder.

17. Mark Leigh

Mark Leigh Member

Mike , the plug can show something that happened faster than the sample rate of the EGT--- and just by looking at the plug you can't say when it happened can you ?

18. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The plug only shows what happened some period of time before shutdown so it depends on the fuel curve of the fuel pump and other indicators. Tuning by plugs will get you pretty close to adjusting the fuel curve correctly. For other fuel adjustments through the run depends on the talent of the tuner. I understand what uou are saying. It is not the sample rate of the data recorder on the EGT sensors that is the problem but the response time of the EGT probe that doesn't allow you to see small changes in temperatures during the run. If they made a probe with a faster response time then it would help a lot. The current probes kind of end up averaging the EGTs. We forget that our period of interest is less than six seconds which is pretty fast if you step back and look at it. We get jnterested in adjusting fuel and timing in a one or two second period which is crazy.

19. alt 6153

alt 6153 Member

Mike, I switched plugs a couple races ago, from the B9ES to the B10ES, as per 1 of your earlier posts on plugs. BBC running 6.80's. With the 9's I was taking about 60% of the face of the plug. Now with the 10's, it looks way fat and really isn't burning cad off but maybe 5% or 10% max. I don't have egt's or data recorder, but I do have a fuel program that I have used for several years, and have lots of runs using it and watching plugs. Could just changing plugs do this or am I missing something else that has changed? Thanks, I really enjoy reading your posts. I have learned a lot.

Chuck.

20. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Chuck, something else changed. Do you change main jet size based on changes in Density Altitude? Did you have major water grain changes? The heat range of a plug is only for the center electrode so that when used in a gasoline engine it will not foul the plug in the conditions it is been driven in. As we all know we read the base circle of the threaded part of the plug which when the plug is screwed into the head actually because an extension of the heads metal. It is of one with the head. So there is no way a change in the heat range of the center electrode will change the temperature of the head and threaded metal part of the plug. I don't doubt that it happened but there was something else that changed the air fuel ratio