EFI 481x

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by periclase, Mar 26, 2009.

1. periclase

periclase New Member

I have a 481x engine, complete from manifold to sump.

I am accumulating parts for this engine to run it with a PSI 'D' Rotor blower.

Instead of running the normal mechanical injection setup, I want to run an EFI managed system. As I have a AJ mag manifold, you can understand that I want to use this manifold in the engine combination.

WOULD it be possible to adapt the EFI injector to a Brass Nozzle to adapt it to the manifold?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions of how I could use EFI injectors on this combo, using the mag manifold, and not going to a sheet metal manifold.

Is it a requirement to run nozzles in the injector hat before the rotors as you would for a Roots blower?

Andrew.

2. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

I guess the first question would be whether you are planning to run a modern bandwidth controlled pulsed injector, or whether you plan to adapt electronic control to a constant flow system.

If you are planning on running a modern pulsed injector and planning to use one injector per port, I guess the first thing to check would be if anyone makes an injector that will supply this many GPH in a single configuration. Maybe big stuff or one of thier distributers would be your best bet as far as who to ask.

Other than that I am clueless:confused:

3. TOL

TOL Active Member

As for 1) Yes.

As for 2) There are other ways. Have you got a pic of the manifold?

As for 3) Yes.

How much power are you looking to make?

4. periclase

periclase New Member

I do not have an pic of the actual manifold, but here is a link to one.

http://www.alanjohnson.com/images/pm_2.jpg

The car will weigh around 2280LB and I am looking to run 6.70 ET's or so. The class I am running in DYO and has an ET Limit from 6.49 to 7.99. I also want the car to eventually be deadly consistent (reasons for going a PSI) once we get a handle on it.

What kind of power would be needed for these times carrying this weight?

5. TOL

TOL Active Member

If that weight is with driver & fluids, then my guess would be 1700'ish Hp???, but you'd want to run your combo through a simulator to know for sure.

Were you thinking of running conventional top feed EFI juel injectors, or something else like electric controlled MFI? If EFI injectors then I'd be tempted to machine/modify the manifold and put two EFI's per port where the nozzle holes are currently. Try to incline them away from vertical as much as possible.

You have a PM.

6. periclase

periclase New Member

I am planning to run top feed EFI injectors.

Andrew.

7. shawn davis

shawn davis Member

Do yourself a favor. Put a mechanical setup on it. Unless you have plenty of time and money to spend on experimenting, there would be no real reason to run efi.
    We run a d on a 481x and had the fuel system dialed on after the 3rd pass

8. Hyperaktive

Hyperaktive New Member

There is no reason it wont work. If you have any questions just let me know, I would be happy to help.

www.hyperaktiveps.com

9. Danny Humphreys

Seriously, Like Shawn said, why go out in left field and reinvent the wheel, when you can buy a tuneup that will work out of the box and spend half the money?

10. wheelie

wheelie Member

Maybe the guy wants to be different? :D

11. TOL

TOL Active Member

Maybe the guy doesn't believe the the world is "flat" according to those who supposedly know?........

12. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

Both are valid points, that you can get a tune-up that is dead close right out of the box with a mechanical, on the other hand if he does have the time money and talent to develop an electronic setup it will certainly allow a lot of flexibility and control like being able to store tuneups for use under different conditions like the 8973 allows you to do with ignition.

It should also help in the dial in department if you get a really good handle on it, by the same token you will be missing the dial through all of the development stage where with mechanical a few trips to the track to learn how to compensate for the air and you are right on the number.

Good luck,

Richard Gavle

13. periclase

periclase New Member

As for the Mech/Elec Injection setups, I do understand that there are a lot of proven tune ups in Mechanical state.

However, I do wish to run in an EFI class eventually, which has a different weightbreak to a MFI car. I also feel while this combo is being run as a bracket car, it should be more consistent once I get a handle on it.

As the saying goes, there is more than one way to skin a cat!

Andrew.

14. centerplugs4life

You may want to try to get a hold of Harold Marting I please he run efi on his pro mod. He was also one of the engineers that designed GM EFI. So he knows his stuff.

15. periclase

periclase New Member

Harold Martin runs a Nitrous powered entry if I am correct?

16. TOL

TOL Active Member

Yes, Harold runs EFI/N20. Good luck with your decision Andrew....

17. Bottlefed

Bottlefed New to Blowers

I have looked into this a little bit and it seems like Moran Racing engines or Pro-line racing engines would be the guys to talk to Mike Moran sells MRE 5 adjustable injectors that supply up to 600lb/hr.

Pro-line also sells these and both sell Fast and Big Stuff systems. I would give them a call and see if either show interest in the setup (both of them are primarily turbo guys), if either of them do show interest, I think either one should be able to help you get setup with a system and baseline that would be close and guide you through the process of tuning.

Myself I think there is a huge untapped market for this kind of deal, since the mechanical stuff is out there everyone is reluctant to switch over to electronic but as soon as a few people do then the only downside will be the higher initial cost of the efi system, of course on the plus side will be ease of adapting to different conditions as well as superior performance and decreased engine problems.

This is something I have always wanted to do but have been short on the money end :(

Good luck

Richard Gavle

18. ta455

ta455 Member

19. sean70ss

sean70ss Member

efi

You will need to figure how many lbs of fuel per hr you will need. I have a 526 hemi with f3 and spin it 9400rpm and right now we use 3 160's. I am going to change to 500lb (400.00)ea and run the 3 160lb injectors. You need to see also where your duty cycle will be. I would use alan dudlys MFI he will help you tune it and is very sharp. I will send you a pick of how we did ours if you like. It is a mag blower manifold converted.

Sean

20. TOL

TOL Active Member

Sean, I'm curious about one aspect of your setup. Do you feed fuel to your injectors from back pressure controlled recirculating loops, or with dead-end feeds?