Duel Angled Idler Assembly for a screw 8mm

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by 57Chev, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 57Chev

57Chev Member

Is there any feed back on the RCD Duel Angled Idlers Assembly if it helps with Belt life? I run 90% with a 84 bottom and a 44 Top. Looking for some feed back to get some more belt life out of 8mm Blet or if it worth the money.

Thanks
    Ray

2. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Ray it would be nice to have something that would stop the belts breaking on a screw blower but I haven't heard that the dual angle idler does it. The reason the belts break is because of the small upper pulley and that the PSI blower doesn't have enough friction in its rotation so the two step causes the teeth of the upper pulley to jump back and forth. DMPE tried a rubber coupling in the blower snout but that didn't work either.

3. TOL

TOL Active Member

Are you seeing belt breakage with the big 44 up top?

4. 57Chev

57Chev Member

It isn't that bad i get about 15 to 18 runs on a belt. But seeing if i can get any more life out of the belt.

5. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

It is the Two Step that cause the belt to break in 3-4 runs. If no Two Step then you can get 15-16 runs on the belt.

6. overkill69

overkill69 Member

You can make big gains looking at your own program as they are very finicky. Most of the drive technology comes from top fuel which is obviously a different animal. We saw improvement moving the idler to a higher location and we run 11mm which produces a large top pulley even at 129%. High belt tension is critical on ours but not as high as 8mm.We run used belts from a px team and get a lot of runs mostly due to the air throttle and 2 step. 18psi vs 55psi on the limiter saves money but has plenty of drawbacks.
    The whole setup is far outside gates engineering specs. I've seen outboard idlers fix a car that was eating a belt on the two step every time they launched. We questioned if it was a bad batch of belts but they just switched to efi so who knows if something changed elsewhere.

7. TOL

TOL Active Member

What are the drawbacks of the air throttle?

8. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

Not full boost right at the moment of launch.

9. TOL

TOL Active Member

Just wondering, has anyone tried 14mm belts with a screw?....

10. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I'm sure it's been tried, but the reason everyone went to 8 mm was it was worth some HP.

I run a dual idler set up on the TD I help with, which is a BAE 5 with a D rotor at 108 over. We leave WOT on the two step and have been getting 10 runs on belts. I know of a TAFC running the same idler set up that gets 12 passes on the two step at 92 over. Our set up has the second idler higher up than the RCD dual set up.

If the small top pulley is really the problem, I wonder if anyone has tried to run the biggest bottom pulley they can get away with - and run a notched fuel pump extension like they did years ago in TAD.

I also wonder if the idler similar to the Force cars on the back side of the top pulley would help.

11. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

TOL we run a 14 mm with a Whipple screw blower and Two Step. Looks like we are getting more life out of the belt maybe around 10-12 runs. The 14 mm belt really flops around at idle. Don't know how the forces of the Whipple compare to the PSI.

12. JustinatAce

JustinatAce Member

Anybody with a two step and converter leaving at full timing and screaming RPM? Why would full boost matter? :)

I would think the outboard idlers would be the best bet. Dual tensioners would help the belt from going slack on either side of the pulley during times of engine decel, but may actually take away some of the tooth contact on the top pulley. Outboard idlers try to push more of the belt onto the pulley which would better distribute the load you're asking of the belt while keeping consistent tension.

13. TOL

TOL Active Member

Dumb question, but has anyone sent a belt back to Gates for post failure analysis and maybe a determination of how or why it failed? Maybe if the actual failure mechanism was known, then a good solution might emerge?

14. 57Chev

57Chev Member

Has anyone tryed a 84mm wide belt to see if they last any longer.

15. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

I don't think you will see much belt life increase going to 84 mm. If you are building from scratch might not be a bad idea to go 84, but I don't think it's worth getting new pulleys and spacers for 84

16. overkill69

overkill69 Member

From what I heard Gates engineering attitude was about like GMC's attitude on what we do with roots blowers...
    They dont like the belt width, tension or surface speed on the pulleys.
    I'm pretty sure back bending the belt with outside idlers was frowned on also but it seems to be helping some cars.

11mm and 14mm no doubt will take more abuse. The huge pulley required on the bottom has plenty of engineering problems itself.
    Its all a bunch of compromise.

We can run mid 3.70's at 2550lbs and 129% od with a C rotor. There is no way I will tolerate less than 10 runs out of an 11mm belt in my program.

17. TOL

TOL Active Member

Does anyone have a picture of this?.......

18. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

19. TOL

TOL Active Member

Thanks !.......

20. TOL

TOL Active Member