Dry Sump: suction line to pump size?

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by GottaGoFaster, Mar 3, 2018.

1. GottaGoFaster

GottaGoFaster Member

Hi ITA--

I am converting to dry sump system for my 526 KB Hemi platform. I am hoping to use a sump tank from a prior car--but it has a -12 port for the oil line going from bottom of tank to input of pump. My new pump (RCD/P&P 2600-0030) is made for a -16 input.

What are thoughts on adapting that -12 port to a -16 and then running a -16 line into the pump?

2. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

Since you are asking the question, you already know you are not really comfortable with going the adapter route... why not weld on a -16 bung?

Chris Saulnier - Team Tigges
    Mechanic Falls, Maine

3. OwnBlock

OwnBlock Member

i run an adapor down from my -16 tank fitting to -12 line into mine. never ever an issue

4. Mike Canter

Mike Canter Top Dragster
    Staff Member

The standard seems to be -16. I would stick to that

5. mogenss

mogenss Member

I run a -12 line from the tank to the pump and no problems. If I could go to a -16 line and would do it just to make sure the oil velocity is as low as possible.

6. GottaGoFaster

GottaGoFaster Member

Thanks ITA! I cutout the -12 bung and welded in a -16 this morning. Of course it wasn't easy due to internal baffling and my lack of aluminum tig skills--but i got it done.

7. Ray Hadford

Ray Hadford Member

Be sure to put a spring.... Earls Part..... inside the suction hose to insure it can not be sucked flat..... Know of a number of problems with both fuel and oil suction lines causing trouble without the internal spring. My current stuff, fuel and oil, is all -12 ...... small block motor. -16 sounds good to me for Hemi oil supply.
    Mike C. will have to advise on the fuel side.