dry sump hemi

Discussion in 'PSI Superchargers Tech Questions' started by Full Tilt, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Full Tilt

Full Tilt Member

is it normal to drain pan and put back in tank , there is still oil in tank but it is down a couple of quarts. will it equilize

2. jay70cuda

jay70cuda Well-Known Member

Who’s pump? My car always has 6 quarts or after a run but I imagine most of that is draining back down from the heads Andy lifter valley.

3. MaineAlkyFan

MaineAlkyFan Active Member

We just made up a dipstick for the tank to monitor this. Initial fill on a shop serviced (dry pan, rods replaced) engine we put 17 quarts in the tank. After initial fire-up we add 3 quarts to the tank so the system has a full known 20 quarts (5 gallons) in it.

We drain the pan after every pass in order to analyse the condition of the oil & observe any anomalies. The tank is generally down 14 quarts after the run (equivalent to post run pan drain volume). Assuming the drain oil is OK, it gets poured back into the tank & rechecked with the dipstick after warm-up.

We generally see a little less than a pint of losses per run (rails, puke tank, tank overflow etc). A little more if the pan comes off for rod bearing servicing between runs.

The post warm-up tank level is used as a guide to see our run/run losses & determine if any fresh oil needs to be added to maintain 20 quart system volume.

Chris Saulnier - Team Tigges
    Mechanic Falls, Maine

4. Full Tilt

Full Tilt Member

its a rcd pump p/p , im putting 4 in pan and 14 in tank on a fresh start. we always check oil and pour back in tank . never measured how much oil was in pan , just wondering how much to expect in pan after a run
    we will measure next time out,

5. go green

go green New Member

I have a dailies engineering 5 stage dry sump , 12 quarts to fill the system . There is a single #20 return line to the tank that uses a billet collector on top of the pump .

I have a moroso pan with the stock # 16 pick up split into two #12 leads into the drysump ,

A #12 in the front of the pan

One stage fore the turbo's with a vent to the valve cover

One dedicated stage to a valve cover .

Data log shows good oil pressure for the run and shutdown ,

Brad Hemi 8X