drag racer not a drag racer hey bulldog6

Discussion in 'Pit Buzz' started by G.Reichert, Nov 20, 2005.

1. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

Hey bulldog6 do you know the difference between a real drag racer and someone who is not a read drag racer? A real drag racer is someone who builds a race car to go fast ALL THE TIME and someone who is not a real drag racer is someone who whines and cries cuz the other guy is going too fast when infact if he would spend the time working on his car instead of whinning and crying his car would be fast too and then he'd be a real drag racer......................

2. Will Hanna

Will Hanna We put the 'inside' in Top Alcohol
    Staff Member

whining?

gloria, if you're whining and crying about the racers that whined and cried and got you a rule change.....does that make you a real drag racer?

taking a racers opinion or thoughts on a matter like our sport that we pour so much time energy and money into, and putting them in the category of 'whining and crying' is pretty insulting to many.

3. Dan Lynch

Dan Lynch Member

I used to be a fan of the Reicherts until one particular member decided to show her true colors...

Just because you made the decision to switch, doesn't mean that everyone has to follow you...

4. Woodchip

Woodchip Top Alcohol Dragster

Gloria. You mean like a certain blown alky racer who is a division 3 champion now? Despite your low et and high MPH you slipped in the points. Maybe if you AND your extended family spent more time in the garage and less time on the keyboards you would be division and world champion by now. :rolleyes:

5. was R4K

was R4K Member

Whoa! bet she is a lot of fun at a party.

6. ClutchDust

ClutchDust New Member

I sure hate it when the TAD folks show up with their stuff not prepared, and then sit around eatin' and drinkin', watchin' the a fulers work their tails off all weekend and then spend $1,000 per run to purposely run slower than the a/fuel cars, just to whine and cry about it on this site.

Come 'on. Low blow.

7. ch3no2

ch3no2 New Member

A wise man once said; if you can't beat em' join em'. I don't think he said complain until you get your way.

As for the Reicherts, They have paid more dues in this sport than any 10 racers combined, and are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Anyone who would talk bad about them does not know much about racing. Bill would give you the shirt off his back if you needed it. I think most of the people who actually race would agree. It's all the bench racers on this site that talk out of their ass and don't have a clue what their talking about that ruin it.

8. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

Im not whinning and crying because of the rule change, we can deal with it and I bet by the end of next season the same people who have been complaining will still be whinning and crying. I work my butt off at the races and im tried of all the complaining all the time because some people go to fast. Thats why we race to go as fast as we can . AS for Marty winning the div 3 championship iam very happy for him and his team and DONT EVER SAY BILL DOESNT SPEND ENOUGH TIME IN THE GARAGE cuz thats all he does 24/7. So get your facts before you speak

9. Hokes Racing

Hokes Racing Moderator

If they had the chance to go as fast as they wanted IT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENT BUT WHEN THE CLASS WILL NOT LET THEM GET OUT OF THE 1990'S IT HARD TO RUN FAST IN THE 2000'S :mad:

I know the team I help work thier butt off every free minute they have. I know if you go by thier shop at 1 or 2 PM any day of the week you will still see them out there working. I know If I had to do what they do all season and most of the off season I sure would fine something else to do, because that stops being fun and starts being a job.:D
    Lanny Hoke Part time Crew on a Blown Alcohol Dragster:) :)

10. G.Reichert

G.Reichert New Member

theres been blown cars run in the twenties in the last five years,,,Santos Henges and Sheilds Thacker and Wells for a few. I agree I think NHRA should give the blown cars something to go faster. There are some that work hard and deserve to have something to run faster but when you mention it to NHRA they say they dont want them to go faster because of oil downs which is crap. If you have everything on your car that youre supposed to you wont oil the track. We blew up a motor in Reading and didnt lose any oil on the track it stayed in the bag where it was supposed to.

11. topfuell

topfuell New Member

re: heres a question FOR RACERS ONLY

i posted a question that no one responed to so here it is again. How do the ex hair dryer racers (blower guys and gals for all of you who need an explanation) now a/FOOLERS feel about the rule changes that seem to happen once every 1 to 2 years. They have been on both sides of the fence now. ive only raced since 1997 and can start a list of changes if you all want. The people that you never heard a squeel from about anything did do something.....put a sheetmetal intake and the yellow stuff in the tank. re: reichert, bowen, shields, galient, mercier, bartone, etc. Jeff Wilson presented it to me as having a choice. He races what he choses. He also dabbled in a/fool once but you can see his choice. Bill Reichert never tore up the class his first year. Just lots of hard work and nver heard a sound from him. HMMMMMM. look at him now. We SUCKED for 2.5 years and ended fairly respectable after that. But as ive said, we got a choice of the type of car to run, as its been back in the pro comp days. Be nice if you all sat at our screens and waited for what rule changes are goin to happen every november. Might see why we get testy.

12. JBJ

JBJ Member

13. Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown Top Dragster

I'm with Dave!

KB

14. Will Hanna

Staff Member

the next change, if necessary

i would be inclined to think that if and when another rule change is necessary to correct any disparity, it will be speeding the blown cars up. however, let me stress that's putting the cart before the horse. let's see what 97% does.
    i still believe it will be a formula for close racing next year.

as far as that list of blown cars in the .20's, we only get so many mineshafts a year to run in. we only run once a year in chicago, reading and pomona in oct/nov.

i predict when the air is good, the top a/fuel teams will run high .20's to low .30's. when the air is good, a good blown car should run high .20s to low .30's. a champion will have to run a smart schedule.

i also predict that the forward progress of many a/fuel teams on 98% will transfer to 97%. as more teams get the new heads that are out there, along with other innovations made, the a/fuelers will still be strong.

dave, to answer your question, i think nhra was about a year behind the curve on doing a rule change, and you saw alot of blown teams jump ship in 2003/2004. notably the conway circle. shelly, james thompson, jason cannon were 3 prominent blown cars. had wilson's a/fuel program progressed quicker, he might have went on the other side of the fence. mercier and shields also changed in that time period. don hudson changed to tafc, lee callaway has a fc chassis in his shop and marty thacker was on the verge of going down that road as well when they made the 96/98 rule. that rule a year earlier, and i dont know that we see all of those teams switch over.

when i was crew chiefing for cannon's blown car, i tried real hard to 'suck it up' and not bitch. i took on an attitude of 'until this car is the top blown car in the country, i'm not going to worry about the a/fuelers' well, you lose that attitude real quick. at the end of a run, when you analyze it and figure out all the little things you could have improved on, try to guess on how much more aggressive you could have got away with (the way i tune there's usually not much of that if it stuck...lol), then you add on what that one gadget you haven't tried yet, and how much it would have sped you up, you add all those 'pluses' to your run, and you're still a tenth behind what the a/fueler beside you just ran, well quite frankly it kicks you in the gut pretty hard. contrary to popular belief, there are some blown racers that work their ass off in their shops. i don't know of anybody at the track that works harder than the thacker camp. that motor comes apart all the time, and it's not because it's tore up. when i worked for meyer, it was the same story, motor got tore down at least once a race.

me, i get around and i'm cheap and easy. i've been blown, a/fuel, back to blown, a/fuel, now tafc. i don't have money invested in the sense that i write checks to buy parts on the car i drive, but i do have a vested long-term business interest in the over all success of alcohol racing.

maintaining parity is very important. maintaining car counts and growth are very important to the class and the powers that be. let's not forget we're in the age where what have you done for me lately trumps tradition every time. we're not guaranteed a class or venue to race at all. look at the nhra pro mod situation. look at ihra fc. they're fighting for their life with new management at ihra. bottom line there are about as many blown cars as a/fuel cars in tad. without both being active, the future is bleak.

15. topfuell

topfuell New Member

re: im not bitchin, just a point.

believe me.............i wish the blown cars were able to go faster. most a / FOOLERS i talked to want that . who wouldnt. at least we wont have to get the rule change for once. the point im making is that we have got stuck making the changes year after year. If all the converted hair dryer clan stick with an a/fooler, you'll get sick of it, and understand our testicals............sorry, testiness. Joker is all for testicals, right?

16. Will Hanna

Staff Member

relative...

from the outside looking in, this year's rule change, relative to the other rule changes of the past that required more weight and different motors, appears to be a less costly change.

if i had an a/fuel car, i would spend alot of time on studying how to make the nitro % more consistent. i may be wrong, but there's got to be a way to get that tolerance tighter than half a percent for safety.

in theory, with a precisely calibrated measuring tool, and for what those digital hydrometers cost, they oughta be precise, if you mix x amount of alcohol with x gallons of nitro to achieve the specific gravity rating of nitro for 96.9% at 50 degrees, at 90 degrees, that mixture should be 96.9%.

theory and real world are two different things. as temperature rises is some alcohol evaporating out of the mixture? do the mixture properties of a nitro-alcohol mixture allow the nitro and alcohol to settle out of solution? along those same lines, was the nitro completely mixed when initially measured? is there an x factor that a specific gravity measurement isn't catching?

17. Kosmo

Kosmo tad

rule change?

its not exactly a rule change. nhra said 96% then upped it to 98% with the option to reduce or raise the percentage at any time, based on overall performance, and scince 98% did not slow the cars down they lowered it. They could have gone back to the original 96% and I would guess thats still an option they have.

18. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

A wise or wrong man

Didn't you mention there wasn't going to be a rule change?

19. tjenna

tjenna Top Alcohol

Agree

One or two members?

But I agree either way.

20. John Haley

John Haley Alcohol Dragster

OK, Here is how i see it. If i pick a combo to run in a class and the potential of that combo has not been nearly maxed out or is still unknown( like the a/fuel combo ) i would expect my combo to be hit with all the rule changes untill my combo is not any faster than the fastest car in the class. I would not think that NHRA is going to speed up the other cars in the class to catch up to ME ( IT'S ALL ABOUT ME ) especially when nobody knows if my combo is at it's max performance.

So all of you on the a/fuel side take your hits and like it. And don't think that nhra is going to speed up the blown cars when nobody even knows how fast the a/fuel combo can go.